Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1979998 - 12/07/14 12:19 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Beaty may be Zengers' first choice but not mine...the name Harbaugh familiar?

Agreed...he wasn't my first choice either....the name Chip Kelly familiar?.

#1980049 - 12/07/14 08:26 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Loc: KC, MO
Originally Posted By: jhawkblue
that grade has to go to Z and his and the committees choice of hire after a national search for the best candidate that consisted of only Mangino,Gill era assistants as far as I can tell

It's already been reported before Beaty was even hired that we contacted: Chad Morris, Matt Wells, Justin Fuente, Dino Babers, Scott Frost, Jerry Kill, Pat Narduzzi, Phil Montgomery, Willie Fritz, Ed Warinner and others.

#1980052 - 12/07/14 08:35 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Let's give Zenger some credit for recognizing his mistake in hiring CW and firing him. How many AD's have the stones or the humility to fire their guy?

Let's see what Beaty can do.

#1980055 - 12/07/14 08:57 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

It was less about humility and more about saving his own job.

#1980057 - 12/07/14 09:08 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
We passed on Jerry Kill for Beaty? And Phil Montgomery would have been better.

#1980065 - 12/07/14 09:18 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

They said "no thanks."

And honestly, can't blame them. Can't be many that want this job. A ton of work. Gill and Weis had no idea how much work it was until they got here.

#1980066 - 12/07/14 09:21 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
I guess I don't see much difference between Beaty and Bowen being the head coach. Hope I'm wrong...

#1980068 - 12/07/14 09:35 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Beaty being HC provides a staff overhaul.

#1980070 - 12/07/14 09:39 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
oldalum Offline
Lawrence Legend

I figured they retained Bowen as DC and Asst. Coach because of his local popularity. There would have been a huge outcry if he was dumped, and fans are a bit thin already without alienating a bunch of them.

#1980076 - 12/07/14 11:30 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
TheLTrain Offline
Intrigued from Afar

Loc: Phoenix Depot
Indeed.

#1980086 - 12/08/14 09:20 AM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: oldalum]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
Originally Posted By: oldalum
I figured they retained Bowen as DC and Asst. Coach because of his local popularity. There would have been a huge outcry if he was dumped, and fans are a bit thin already without alienating a bunch of them.

Oh no. The fans, that don't go to games as it is, might want to complain that a particular coach was not retained.

Local popularity does not make him a good defensive coordinator.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#1980131 - 12/08/14 10:30 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
UNLV hires Bishop Gorman High School's head coach as head coach for UNLV.

Kinda strange, IMO.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2023319 - 11/12/17 05:56 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
jhawkblue Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Originally Posted By: jhawkblue

there is almost nothing to Judge Beaty on so far other than his qualifications for the job of HC at a P5 program which most would agree are less than should be required but that grade has to go to Z and his and the committees choice of hire after a national search for the best candidate that consisted of only Mangino,Gill era assistants as far as I can tell

the first thing he will be judged on is the staff he puts together, imo Bowen as DC is a big negative but from most accounts that grade has to go to Z as well, I will give him a positive for retaining Mitchell but the rest is to be determined

the next thing he will be judged on is how well his staff recruits, again thats tbd

then the on field performance and over time player development again tbd

Beaty was not on my wish list and while I may judge the decisions of those involved that that led to his hire, I will hold my judgement of Beaty until there is more to be judged

3 years and a 3-31 record latter there has been enough to judge this hire

Zenger gets an F for the hire
Beaty gets a D- for staff hires
Beaty gets a C+ for recruiting
Beaty gets a F- for on field performance
Beaty gets a D for player development

#2023336 - 11/13/17 11:06 AM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: jhawkblue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Since you bumped this thread give us the grades of the hires in your original post.

#2023367 - 11/13/17 08:24 PM Re: Coaching Hires So far [Re: vmlb]
jhawkblue Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Originally Posted By: vmlb
Since you bumped this thread give us the grades of the hires in your original post.

Neb: Riley original grade C- with an A for the enjoyment I got from watching the husker fans melt down. Riley was the proverbial nice guy hire after an a$$whole coach.
Updated grade: D (still with an A for my enjoyment as crying husker fans are funny) while he did go to 2 straight bowls and had a couple of top 25 recruiting classes 19-17 will not be tolerated by a program and fan base that is stuck in the 1990s and still consider Neb a national power

Buffalo: Liepold original grade B he took over a program that has had 3 winning seasons as an FBS program he has gone 5-7 2-10 and currently 4-6 but other than a 10 point loss to Minn his other 5 losses were one score games I don't watch Buffalo games so not sure if he has improved the product on the field or not
Updated grade C for at least being competitive

Fla: McElwain original grade B+ took over at Fla after 4-8 7-5 seasons and went 10-4 9-4 both winning sec east before the wheels came off this season going 3-6 with blowout losses and being let go
updated grade B I still think he was a good hire and am considering this season an anomaly rather than the norm of the first 2

SMU: Morris original grade A+ took over after a 1-11 season then went 2-10 5-7 and currently 6-4 showing improvement each season while building both an AAC contender and his own resume
updated grade A took away the + as I expected better than 2-10 his first season

Note: I believe that any of the above listed coaches could/would have done better than the 3-33 that the WR coach has gotten us

Edited by jhawkblue (11/13/17 08:27 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview