Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2035515 - Yesterday at 12:29 AM Re: Seth Littrell a "top candidate" [Re: tophawk87]
Kirk Online   embarrased
John Brown

Loc: Austin
I know. But three years isn’t bad. The intention is to get a degree. If the rule were changed in football to one and done, I would be done as a fan.

I like rules. I like students seeking degrees, even if they leave early. I don’t like the double life of pretending to be a real student while knowing you’re going to blow after a single season.

Now what, a third of the basketball team is trying to go pro after one season? I’m not loving it.

Some of those dudes are in Lawrence about 9 months total. I remember when Paul Pierce gasp! Left after three years.

I guess it’s just me. Which is fine. The thrill is gone.

#2035517 - Yesterday at 05:40 AM Re: Seth Littrell a "top candidate" [Re: tophawk87]
madcapper Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Ozarks
There should be no sport scholarships, get back to true amature athletes.

#2035518 - Yesterday at 07:57 AM Re: Seth Littrell a "top candidate" [Re: tophawk87]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Until someone challenges the NFL and NBA, in court, for age discrimination, this plague on amateur athletics will continue.

#2035522 - Yesterday at 11:06 AM Re: Seth Littrell a "top candidate" [Re: tophawk87]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Well a large part of the reason for football players to wait three years is due to their bodies not being ready. I don't see football changing the rule ever. I do see the NBA getting rid of the one and done. I could even see them making a move to what baseball does. MLB can draft kids straight from high school. However if a kid goes to college, he has to stay three years. No matter what getting rid of the one and done (if and when that happens) clears up a lot of issues. I think I have become more disenchanted with football because of realignment. It sounds like we are on opposite ends of the same coin. I still root for both KU teams though. That is sad you did not a lot of enjoyment out of the 2008 NC.

#2035525 - Yesterday at 12:42 PM Re: Seth Littrell a "top candidate" [Re: moose1]
Kirk Online   embarrased
John Brown

I hear you. Well, I hope basketball indeed changes the rule.

I was a KU student in 1988, so I got plenty of enjoyment there. But by 2008, I was out of the picture, didn't watch the tourney, never missed it, didn't even think about it. I was happy for Bill Self and KU in general, but somehow, somewhere the magic had died for me. I was also disenchanted by the way the university and the Williams Fund had treated fans like my parents -- multiple generation KU alumni and contributors in every way -- who had staunchly supported the program through the end of the Ted Owens years when the fieldhouse was half empty. Eventually they couldn't afford tickets.

Again, it's not ethically or morally wrong for the university to stay competitive and go "big money over all." It's just disenchanting and ultimately tedious. Even the players took on a jersey-tugging, gansta thug vibe, that again, isn't "wrong", just tiresomely similar to everyone else.

Somehow I still have a spark for KU football....meaning I'm really insane.

#2035527 - Yesterday at 01:48 PM Re: Seth Littrell a "top candidate" [Re: tophawk87]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Blue haired folks couldn't sustain the Kansas bbl program. That's a fact of life. If you love the sustained program like I do (fan), you understand why you can't stay ahead of just DePaul Uni and win games.

#2035532 - Yesterday at 02:29 PM Re: Seth Littrell a "top candidate" [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kirk Online   embarrased
John Brown

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Blue haired folks couldn't sustain the Kansas bbl program. That's a fact of life. If you love the sustained program like I do (fan), you understand why you can't stay ahead of just DePaul Uni and win games.

Yes, and if you read my post, I make that pretty clear. Life must move forward. Of course, it would have been nice if the university had maybe stepped things up by degrees rather than coldly announce that the contribution to the Williams Fund had to be $10K or whatever to retain next season's tickets. But again, I get it -- KU is definitely a blue-blood program whose interest is to retain people with lots of green, whether their blood runs crimson and blue and whether their hairs are blue or blond.

But, again if you read my posts, that is a secondary reason I fell out of love with bball. "One and done" pushed things over the limit for me. And lo and behold, as I could no longer attend the games, and no longer lived in Kansas anyway....I found I wasn't missing anything. I'm a pre-Jumbo-tron kinda fan anyway when it comes to Allen Fieldhouse. I only want to hear and see the band and the fans and the players. No screens, no piped-in recordings or flashy video intros.

I still love the football program, though, and have hopes for a big turnaround. It behooves me to drop the topic of basketball here; the program belongs to those of you who do love it -- and you are welcome to today's version.

#2035538 - Yesterday at 06:00 PM Re: Seth Littrell a "top candidate" [Re: tophawk87]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
I get the one and done thing, and the longer it is around the more aggravated I get with it.

I don't get the Williams fund issue though. If roles were reversed and the football program was a perennial top 5 program, and basketball was at the bottom of the conference. Then you would be paying an arm and a leg for football and not basketball. I am guessing at Alabama it costs a fortune to get football tickets, and pretty easy to get basketball tickets.

#2035539 - Yesterday at 06:19 PM Re: Seth Littrell a "top candidate" [Re: moose1]
Kirk Online   embarrased
John Brown

Yeah, but the price hike happened overnight, in a blunt money grab. It didn’t feel very nice to people who had supported the program through the last lean Ted years (and way before that.)

Buuuut none of this was my point. This ain’t the b-ball board. And I’ve been finished with hoops for well over a decade. That train is long gone.

I’m saying: If football wants to ride shotgun for awhile in the KU athletics wagon, I’m good with that. It needs the focus, and the HC and staff deserve to earn serious money, and receive serious commitment.

Edited by Kirk (Yesterday at 06:20 PM)

#2035549 - Yesterday at 08:49 PM Re: Seth Littrell a "top candidate" [Re: tophawk87]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
The money grab thing pissed me off as well.....I remember going to my first game in 2008, after winning the Orange Bowl. Tons of basketball only fans showing up (with better seats than we had), and sitting on their hands. First third down on defense, my crew and I stood up and made noise before the play. After it was over, this older lady behind me tapped me on my shoulder and stated that she didn't pay the money she did for tickets this year to stare at my ass on third down. I explained that she better stand up then, because I'm up and yelling on defense a lot. She called security over who had to reassure her that I was doing nothing wrong.

2007-08 was the best and worst thing to happen to KU football, IMHO, looking back at the mistakes made.

RCJHKU!

#2035563 - Yesterday at 11:04 PM Re: Seth Littrell a "top candidate" [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kirk Online   embarrased
John Brown

Ha!

I didn’t love the new hue of KU blue mandated by Lew’s branding boys either. Ah, but I need to get with the times.

But anyway I’m ready for a football rennaissance!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Preview