Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2035579 - 11/13/18 09:50 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: moose1]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: moose1
Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
Would Venables even return a call for $5million at year?

RCJHKU!

Hell yes he would. He hasn't had a head coaching offer before. I am guessing you could get Venables for 2M.

Isn't he getting more than that at Clemson?

#2035580 - 11/13/18 09:58 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: appyhawk]
Kirk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Austin
Let me flip that around. How do we know Miles is a real candidate at all? Isn’t it all conjecture based on his previous association with Long?

And if the unemployed Miles was always in the works, what’s the holdup? Wouldn’t they want to get onto recruiting for a program that has like, nobody coming in?

I’m not saying it absolutely won’t or can’t be Miles...but it’s starting to sound a little dubious. Hope I’m wrong!

#2035584 - 11/13/18 05:56 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Miles could have any job open now if he wants it. Knowing Long is a plus because everyone wants a boss they have a good relationship with. KU is the most difficult rebuild of the current openings but has a lot of potential. Anyone who succeeds will attain status as the best program builder since BS in Mancrappy.

Then again, he could just be fulfilling the terms of his buyout with LSU.

#2035585 - 11/13/18 06:12 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
Kirk Offline

It's a doable rebuild though. I mean, it's going to be sucky for the first two years, really sucky, but after that we could be looking at .500 seasons and up. OU, UT and possibly WVU will be practically unbeatable (for us), but these days, teams who looked like they were going to stay heavyweights (TCU, Baylor), aren't. Strong teams like Texas Tech and OSU never seem to get over the hump blocking them from the top tier, and while ISU is looking more competitive, bless their little hearts, they're definitely within range of what we can accomplish. KState may be headed back down the toilet forever, who knows.

KU has money, the most beautiful fcuking campus in the world, a marvelous place to raise kids, and there's no reason some strong coach can't eat sh!t for a couple crummy years in order to grab some greatness. Even though Beaty was unable to recruit more than a singe GD kid.

#2035588 - 11/13/18 10:51 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: Kirk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kirk
Even though Beaty was unable to recruit more than a singe GD kid.
Totally disagree with this. The current overall talent level on the team is worlds better now that it was when Beaty got here. His problem is he couldn't effectively coach them as a whole nor always identify who has the most talent and play them. i.e. I think we've got some clearly talented guys with more talent than our current starters sitting on the bench right now. Guys that always show in practice aren't necessarily the guys that always show in games. Todd Ressing would be prime example #1 for this and this is why Mangino hesitated to play him over Meier at the time.

I'll call it the Tyler Patmon syndrome here. I recall virtually everyone ripping him a new one while he played at KU with lots of posters saying he had no talent and wouldn't even be on the 2 deep for any other P-5 program, much less starting. This was especially true after our close loss to Texas where he dropped a sure game winning INT. He then goes to Okie light and starts for them and then on to the NFL. Patmon always had the talent. Weis/Bowen couldn't effectively coach him by putting him in the best position to use that talent though.

Another example would be Bradley McDougald after the Georgia Tech blowout loss. Recall quite a few people ripping him as being too slow to be playing in the defensive backfield and he just didn't have enough talent to be playing at the P-5 level, etc. He then goes on and plays in the NFL. He too always had the talent. It was poor coaching in terms of scheme mostly that made him look bad or much less talented than he was.

This is why the team this year should be, and actually is, better than it has been since Beaty took over. Because we've finally got more overall talent. This too is why I won't be surprised if the new HC won't do decently next year and then take a step back in year 2 before hopefully taking a step and a half or more forward in year 3. That's if we actually hire a good coach or God forbid, a great coach.

I know our numbers still aren't great, but they're a lot better than they were and they're good enough for this team to be sitting at 5-5 (or better) right now instead of 3-7. The guys on the 2 deep we have now overall are better than the guys we had after Weis's last year.

#2035589 - 11/13/18 10:53 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: appyhawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
"Miles seems less realistic each day."

Why? Getting all the i's dotted and t's crossed on a complicated numbers game like that one takes time to get done to everyone's satisfaction, not to mention the other considerations.
Long has been playing around with a lot of people on social media here lately and I think it's because he has his man already. Long is very good at keeping this info tight to the chest as well as letting a lot of misdirection info get a little life of it's own to keep everyone guessing still.

#2035591 - 11/14/18 12:08 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
Kirk Offline

Yesterday I went on Twitter and looked up Tom Keegan’s tweets in Boston. He responded to someone’s tweet and added (gratuitously) that AD Long is definitely going to get the right guy. Very confident, very matter of fact.

I think there is a strong sense that Long is on it” and maybe has an ace up his sleeve. Could be Miles, I don’t know.

#2035620 - 11/14/18 11:15 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
Graham just doesn't fit the bill for me, but would rather have him than Miles.

Miles in my opinion doesn't bring anything but his record. He doesn't have an offensive system or defensive system of choice. It all depends on who he hires as his coordinators. Thats how its been with him.

Graham was at Arizona ST. He did do ok there, but a school like that, in that region, you should kill recruiting. He didn't, and I don't know how in the world he would do any better here.

This job is a difficult one to navigate. I don't have many answers. I would welcome any warm body that knows a little bit about any aspect of football right now over what we have had in recent years. I just don't see Miles being the right choice for sure. Graham is interesting, but I have my reservations. Monken or Fritz have just stuck out in my opinion. They have a system, and they recruit to it.

#2035659 - 11/16/18 08:31 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
DrGreydog Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Topeka
With the Miles settlement with LSU being announced....is it time for Smacker to start buying her KU gear?

#2035670 - 11/16/18 09:49 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

My top 10..

Miles
Miles
Miles
Miles
Miles
Miles
Miles
Miles
Doeren
Littrell

#2035671 - 11/16/18 09:53 AM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: Jaycat92]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Jaycat92
Graham just doesn't fit the bill for me, but would rather have him than Miles.

Miles in my opinion doesn't bring anything but his record. He doesn't have an offensive system or defensive system of choice. It all depends on who he hires as his coordinators. Thats how its been with him.

Graham was at Arizona ST. He did do ok there, but a school like that, in that region, you should kill recruiting. He didn't, and I don't know how in the world he would do any better here.

This job is a difficult one to navigate. I don't have many answers. I would welcome any warm body that knows a little bit about any aspect of football right now over what we have had in recent years. I just don't see Miles being the right choice for sure. Graham is interesting, but I have my reservations. Monken or Fritz have just stuck out in my opinion. They have a system, and they recruit to it.

Wrong on Graham not being able to recruit. You see the players they have right now balling like Harry at WR. All Graham's guys. First year coach Herm Edwards going 6-4 with those guys. right now. Can easily end with 8-4 record. With all of Graham's guys.

#2035945 - 11/21/18 02:28 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: Maximus]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Originally Posted By: Maximus
Miles, Leach, any coach from Alabama, then Laura Crystal, if Samantha Ryan is not available.

http://m.kusports.com/news/2011/nov/27/whats-next-ku-football-coaching-candidates/?templates=mobile

#2035946 - 11/21/18 02:35 PM Re: who is your top coaching choices [Re: DrGreydog]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Preview