Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2024425 - 12/04/17 11:17 PM Did the Ohio State passover....
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
just save the Big12?

You just gotta think the mucketymucks up in Chicago and out in MountainView Kalifornia are smoking their cigars, snorting brandy and furiously an pacing the room scheming how to straighten this injustice out next fall w/ an 8 game playoff. (Well, maybe in Chicago. In MountainView, they're smoking Colorado weed and shooting tequila.)

I suppose its good. Takes the pressure off Zenger/Girod to right this ship afore 2022.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou+

#2024431 - 12/05/17 07:53 AM Re: Did the Ohio State passover.... [Re: John_Brown]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Honestly, I don't think the PAC has enough pull to do anything about it no matter what they wanted.

The Big 10 on the other hand could make things happen, but I think the SEC would do what they could to block them and you'd have an unhappy stalemate of some sorts. That might give some leverage to the Big 12 and ACC with the Big 10 and the SEC trying to get them on their sides to either keep the status quo or make the change to an 8 game playoff.

Definitely don't think Zenger nor Beaty have until 2022 to turn this thing around either. Both probably have 2018 and possibly 2019 at the most to do that. If you think the fanbase is out for blood right now, just imagine how much more intense it'll be if we have another season like this season next year.

#2024545 - 12/07/17 10:09 AM Re: Did the Ohio State passover.... [Re: John_Brown]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
The Truckstop Ten will be toast once the TV contracts expire in 2020 (I believe). In case no one has noticed, the only thing keeping this band of misfits together is the almighty dollar. Also, very few (myself being one of the few) pay for cable or satellite TV anymore. The next round of contracts are going to be worth a helluva lot less dollars. Tejas (being the cause of the Big XII sucking anyway after losing long time rivals) will be the first to say screw it, letting their overinflated ego push them into either a suicide pact with the SEC, or an easier time in the PAC. OU will jump headlong into a declining strength SEC, and that will be it for the Truckstop Ten.

A lot of people who dont understand how college athletics is massively dependent on revenue can't see why we are wanting to upgrade our Titanic of a program and stadium. Well, reason is that football not basketball is what drives NCAA athletics. If we don't at least give an appearance of wanting to be a player, we will be discarded to the burn pile of teams competing to get into the Mountain West, AAC, et al. We have the academics, and with just a Northwestern or even now Nebraska level of team we can easily slide into the B1G. Now, that's not my ultimate choice, but it's probably the best we can hope for after we let the conference self implode just so Tejas could have the very in the red Longhorn Network that no one watches to self fellate their oversized ego and undersized on the field performance.

Winter is coming people. We best be prepared.

RCJHKU!

#2024566 - 12/07/17 02:29 PM Re: Did the Ohio State passover.... [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Don't think you're right at all with Texas and what they would or would not potentially do. They've stayed in the Big 12 for a reason and I don't think that reason has changed for them. They've certainly got the inflated egos to think they could do almost anything they wanted and come out smelling like roses, but yet they still have chosen to stay in the Big 12 time and time again.

Also, I don't blame Texas for their LHN. Any school in America who had that kind of money thrown at them for having their own network would have jumped all over it. Every last one. Don't fool yourself about other school's altruism.

ESPN is squarely at fault for that. They made some calculated business decision about throwing tons of money away on that, as you rightly point out, failed LHN. ESPN has been losing money hand over fist with that deal, yet they still haven't opted out as allowed for in the contract. Texas on the other hand has been making money hand over fist with the deal regardless of how failed it is or isn't. ESPN is the one who took all the risk and hence are the only one suffering financially from it's failure.

Also, don't think you're right about OU. OU explored their possible options fairly thoroughly a couple times now and came to the conclusion both times sticking it out in the Big 12 is their best (and only from what I heard) option at the moment. Their blowhard leader though couldn't help himself from making a big public stink last summer before ultimately having to swallow his words.

ESPN is also in large part responsible for the whole PAC-20 merger thing to have collapsed 5 years ago. They stepped up(along with FOX to a lesser extent) and threw enough money at the Big 12 to keep it together for a reason. It wasn't just Texas changing their mind about it all(like if they wanted the merger and who had to be included, etc.).

As for if future contracts will shrink because of chord cutting, that'll be interesting to see how it plays out. But that's not unique to the Big 12's future contracts and will affect all of the conferences equally whenever their specific contracts are up.

TV money has been and still is driving any and all moves being made. Most all of that coming from ESPN. Any more conference realignment will again take place as ESPN and their money sees fit. I don't know how that will all play out, but I guarantee it's not going to play out in a way ESPN doesn't want it to.

#2024570 - 12/07/17 02:50 PM Re: Did the Ohio State passover.... [Re: John_Brown]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
TV money will still play a big part but the landscape has shifted and continues to shift. It will be interested to see what happens.

As for Texas they stay because they can be the bully in the conference and get what they want.

In the end I don't see the Big XII making it, but the changing landscape may actually help the conference survive.

In the end I hope KU ends up in the Big 10.

#2024576 - 12/07/17 03:28 PM Re: Did the Ohio State passover.... [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I just don't see an alternative source of money outside of TV money that will be big enough in the near future to drive things like the TV money has and does right now.

As for conference preference, I prefer a conference where we have a good number of regional neighboring schools in our conference and also have some history with them. We've got that now, but wouldn't have that in the Big 10 unless a chunk of the current Big 12 went with us.

#2024579 - 12/07/17 03:45 PM Re: Did the Ohio State passover.... [Re: John_Brown]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The best rivalries (NU/CU, NU/OU, KU/MU) are already gone. Our conference sucks, minus OU this year. OU/Tejas is a rivalry that NO ONE north of OKC cares one bit about. Did you see the attendance for the meaningless "title" game? That stadium was half full.

Look, I want better times, but the reality is that the Truckstop Ten has a very limited appeal and even more limited lifespan. If OU can win a N/C it would certainly help sustain us a bit longer. But I just can't see the Little Tex Ten serving more than five years IMHO.

RCJHKU!

#2024582 - 12/07/17 04:21 PM Re: Did the Ohio State passover.... [Re: John_Brown]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
I agree with Hawkhead. There really are no rivalries for KU with the exception of KSU. My preference would be to see the Big XII be viable in the future. I just don't see that happening.

#2024588 - 12/07/17 04:46 PM Re: Did the Ohio State passover.... [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Getting WVU into our conference shows the level of competition necessary

#2024622 - 12/08/17 08:20 AM Re: Did the Ohio State passover.... [Re: KUHawkhead]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
The best rivalries (NU/CU, NU/OU, KU/MU) are already gone. Our conference sucks, minus OU this year. OU/Tejas is a rivalry that NO ONE north of OKC cares one bit about. Did you see the attendance for the meaningless "title" game? That stadium was half full.

Look, I want better times, but the reality is that the Truckstop Ten has a very limited appeal and even more limited lifespan. If OU can win a N/C it would certainly help sustain us a bit longer. But I just can't see the Little Tex Ten serving more than five years IMHO.

RCJHKU!

More people care about the UT/OU rivalry then all the aforementioned rivalries you noted.

#2024704 - 12/09/17 11:11 AM Re: Did the Ohio State passover.... [Re: vmlb]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

South of OKC, yes. Here? I don't even know when it is unless I happen upon it, and like Nebraska's program, it hasn't been a relevant game for over 20 years.

Face it....Truckstop Ten is a pathetic conference.

RCJHKU!

#2024723 - 12/09/17 04:07 PM Re: Did the Ohio State passover.... [Re: John_Brown]
Jman1 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Did the Ohio State passover

Can we just get through Hanukkah first. Passover isn't until the spring. Oy Vay

P.S. Do THE OSU Buckeyes celebrate Passover? Honest question

#2024815 - 12/10/17 05:34 PM Re: Did the Ohio State passover.... [Re: Jman1]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Originally Posted By: Jman1
Did the Ohio State passover

Can we just get through Hanukkah first. Passover isn't until the spring. Oy Vay

P.S. Do THE OSU Buckeyes celebrate Passover? Honest question

I'd imagine it's like anywhere else. Some do and others don't. I'll bet, though, that all of em in Big10 territory are sick and tired of being passed over to give another Confederate Succesh a 2nd chance at the MNC at the expense of the Big 10 Champs. Honestly, I believe CBS thinks we should all clap like robots to the narrative of the SEC circle jerk.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Preview