Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#994018 - 10/29/09 11:33 PM Kentucky's lame attempt at playing catch-up.
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

#994019 - 10/29/09 11:41 PM Re: Kentucky's lame attempt at playing catch-up. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
Wreckloose Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Olathe, KS
Brand new digs instead of renovated ones. Can't argue with that.

#994020 - 10/29/09 11:45 PM Re: Kentucky's lame attempt at playing catch-up. [Re: Wreckloose]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

Brand new digs

heh heh

I don't think I'd want to live there.

#994021 - 10/29/09 11:52 PM Re: Kentucky's lame attempt at playing catch-up. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
AdonisJordan Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Lawrence
Imagine Ksu's if they were to build a new dorm:

Soil Lodge.

#994022 - 10/29/09 11:53 PM Re: Kentucky's lame attempt at playing catch-up. [Re: AdonisJordan]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Ok, I know I deserve whatever I have coming, but:

I don't care that coal is involved.

#994023 - 10/29/09 11:55 PM Re: Kentucky's lame attempt at playing catch-up. [Re: JFish26]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

I don't care if they name their Lodge after him or not. Aldrich won't transfer to Kentucky.

#994024 - 10/30/09 12:00 AM Re: Kentucky's lame attempt at playing catch-up. [Re: JFish26]
Hinrichisgod Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: The Phog
I understand the controversy and honestly couldn't give an answer on whether I'd vote one way or the other, strictly regarding the name change.

My best friend during my tenure at uk lived in wildcat lodge. Pretty nice place for a college student to say the least.

#994025 - 10/30/09 12:13 AM Re: Kentucky's lame attempt at playing catch-up. [Re: Hinrichisgod]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

I can't find the other article that I read it, but keep in mind that the dorm they are replacing was named after Joe B. Hall.

Replacing Joe B. Hall with Coal Lodge isn't exactly an improvement.

Joe B. Hall coached UK to a National Championship. They are simply slapping that accomplishment in the face.

#994026 - 10/30/09 12:19 AM Re: Kentucky's lame attempt at playing catch-up. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
Hinrichisgod Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: The Phog
I can see where it would be considered a proverbial slap in the face of kentucky basketball tradition, but coal is definitely a major part of where Kentucky is compared to where it was, especially in Eastern Kentucky. It seems, though, the people who make the decision have spoken.

#994027 - 10/30/09 10:05 AM Re: Kentucky's lame attempt at playing catch-up. [Re: Hinrichisgod]
horton_hombre Offline
John Brown

Loc: Got a gal in Kalamazoo
Quote:

My best friend during my tenure at uk lived in wildcat lodge. Pretty nice place for a college student to say the least.

Although the article doesn't state explicitly whether the donors are connected to the coal industry, that's the only reason I can think of for the athletic department's naming the new accommodations "coal lodge." Either that or it's going to be located deep beneath the ground.

As I recall, the original Wildcat Lodge was controversial too, as the first lodgings in the country dedicated specifically to student athletes. Kentucky ran afoul of the NCAA because of a rule that scholarship athletes couldn't enjoy better perks than were found in campus housing for the student body in general. That was the reason UK moved some regular students into Wildcat Lounge--to get around that rule.

--Edit: meant to say "Wildcat Lodge," but maybe "Lounge" is more accurate after all!

Edited by horton_hombre (10/30/09 10:09 AM)

Preview