To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
this morning. Don't know what time yet.

#993199 - 10/29/09 10:16 AM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: Geezer]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Short phone interview.
We are not a very good practice team so far and that worries me. When you add 2 or 3 players to your rotations these things can happen.
Xavier can be one of the best freshman in the country. Thomas Robinson can be one of the big sleepers this year.

blah, blah, same stuff on fight and Brady.

Number 1 doesn't really bother me, it means you have a lot of weapons. We are trying to just meet our expectations and not anybody elses.

#993200 - 10/29/09 12:31 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: Geezer]
hawks82 Offline
Baby Jay

I wonder if we are not a good practice team simply b/c our guys are just really good and the competition at practice just makes our guys not look like superstars.

#993201 - 10/29/09 12:33 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: Geezer]
abc123 Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

We are trying to just meet our expectations and not anybody elses.

Aren't everybody else's expectations the same as the teams? Big 12 Champs and National Champs?

#993202 - 10/29/09 12:40 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: abc123]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Quote:

Quote:

We are trying to just meet our expectations and not anybody elses.

Aren't everybody else's expectations the same as the teams? Big 12 Champs and National Champs?

I think he is just trying to keep their heads in practice and not reading the papers. Team goals at this point are just to improve everyday.

#993203 - 10/29/09 01:04 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: Geezer]
brobinson86 Offline
Big Dipper

the fact that HCBS said they were trying to get 2 or 3 new guys used to the system leads me to believe that there won't be more than 2 or 3 new guys playing meaningful minutes, atleast not early. Im guessing probably only 2, and those are obvious by his statements about X being 1 of the best freshman in the country, and what he said about Robinson being underrated. He also said reed improved a lot. So that seems to make the main rotation pretty clear cut.
sherron
tyshawn
reed
X
Marcus
Markieff
Robinson
Cole
(in no particular order)

#993204 - 10/29/09 02:41 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: brobinson86]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

LOL

It's getting pretty hilarious to watch people try to dissect every comment Bill makes and translate it to unrelated topics like playing time and who will redshirt.

#993205 - 10/29/09 02:44 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
SashasVodka Offline
JohnBrownWithARifle

Loc: KC
Hmm... Integrating 2 or 3 new players... we have 3 new freshman...hmmm...I just can't figure out what he was referring to...

#993206 - 10/29/09 02:47 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
Onslaught Offline
Baby Jay

Self probably said we're not a good practice team right now for this reason: Downplaying the #1 ranking, for the players especially, but probably fans and the media also. Everyone who gets the top ranking or is ranked pretty high usually does this. Obviously he said it because he feels it's true as well, but that goes without saying. He probably had the above motivation as well IMO.

Self says we're not practicing like a #1 team. That's understandable. Again, it's October. What he probably understands and doesn't want to be asked about is, do you really think anyone is practicing like a #1 team right now?

We're going to be really good, but it's early. It's probably not the greatest practice team yet because it's still young other than Collins, Aldrich, Reed and Morningstar.

As for integrating 2 or 3 new players, obviously X and T-Rob are the first 2. The third can only be EJ or CJ since Withey can't play until December 19 and is injured anyway. My guess is it's EJ. Would be great to see him get into the rotation early on and see good minutes off the bench.

I think the top 9 rotation will be like this early on:

Collins
Taylor
X
Marcus
Aldrich
Reed
T-Rob
Releford
Markieff

Self has said we may play 10 guys early on. I think the 10th guy may be EJ as Self tries to get him a few minutes out there. It could also be Little at times, but EJ is likely the 3rd new player that Self is trying to make learn the system now.

Edited by Onslaught (10/29/09 04:10 PM)

#993207 - 10/29/09 02:57 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: Onslaught]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Bill said we weren't a good practice team because that's exactly what Bill thinks right now.

I know it seems preposterous for the man to say what he means and have no hidden motive, but hey... it's possible... no matter how unlikely it seems when reading message board posts.

Just because we aren't a good practice team today doesn't mean Bill can't or won't change that. I fully expect that he will have the team practicing the way he wants this team practicing before long. I know that's probably a radical idea, but I think Coach Self might have some experience about how to get a basketball team to practice the right way. Maybe... just maybe .... maybe he knows how to do that much without help from message board posters.

#993208 - 10/29/09 03:21 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
hawks82 Offline
Baby Jay

I only think he said that b/c thats how he feels, we arent practicing to our full potential yet...given its hasnt even been 2 weeks.

And another thing mighta been to just cool off the hype machine that is the mens KU squad this year...we've been all over the place and I for one would like it to calm down too...god forbid we turn into another 97 team. (man I loved that squad too)

#993209 - 10/29/09 03:24 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Bill said we weren't a good practice team because that's exactly what Bill thinks right now.

I know it seems preposterous for the man to say what he means and have no hidden motive, but hey... it's possible... no matter how unlikely it seems when reading message board posts.

Just because we aren't a good practice team today doesn't mean Bill can't or won't change that. I fully expect that he will have the team practicing the way he wants this team practicing before long. I know that's probably a radical idea, but I think Coach Self might have some experience about how to get a basketball team to practice the right way. Maybe... just maybe .... maybe he knows how to do that much without help from message board posters.

Totally agree. I have complete faith that HCBS know exactly what he is doing and where the team is at right now.

#993210 - 10/29/09 04:07 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: jayhwk01]
ZgetZ Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
Kansas coming up on Around the Horn

#993211 - 10/29/09 04:17 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
Onslaught Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

I think that goes without saying. I should've put that in there but just forgot to. However, I think he also had the above motivation that I presented. Every coach with a high ranking tries to downplay their ranking.

Quote:

I don't know if the last part was a shot at my post, but if it was, I think you misinterpreted my post and what I was trying to convey. I'm not worried in the least about this team and its practice habits early. This team is going to be GREAT come January. Hell, I was trying to curb any worries from other posters that might take too much out of Self's statement. And who said he needs help from us stupid (when it comes to basketball; Self has forgotten a million things about basketball then we'll ever know) posters? I don't see how anyone could've possibly gotten that from my post. But whatever, it's all good.

Anyway, I think we're pretty much on the same wavelength except I also think Self had more motivation for saying what he said in addition to it being exactly what he feels right now.

Edited by Onslaught (10/29/09 04:22 PM)

#993212 - 10/29/09 06:54 PM Re: Coach Self on ESPN First Take [Re: Onslaught]
faithful1 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Kansas
All those ESPN/national media interviews are for casual sports fans from around the country. KU fans can learn little from the vanilla interviews he gives for consumption by people who couldn't name more than two players on the team.

Preview