Marcus 18.5 25
Cole 29.6 32
Kieff 15.6 18
Robinson - 15
Reed 20.7 15
Little 12.5 ?
Releford 7 ?
EJ/CJ - ?
that leaves about 5 minutes for that 9th man spot. Remember Brady averaged 30mpg last year(2nd on the team)
Notes/Assumptions/Reasoning for projections:::
-Sherron stays steady at 35mpg because he is the best guard in the country.
-Cole increases to 32mpg. He will be on the court a lot. He could be POY and I compared his projected minutes to other top big men from the past few years (Tyler Hansbrough 31mpg career average)
-Brady's 30mpg that are lost with his suspension will be picked up mostly by tyshawn,X, reed, and maybe one of the other guys if they step up. It will be interesting to see what happens once Brady can play again.
-I am also not including Withey in this projection, although I don't know if he will play very much this year because we will be in full stride by the time he becomes eligible, and it will be a tough time for him to play his first college game and get comfortable. Also he is not versitile enough to play the 4 and Cole will consume most of the time at Center.
- I am assuming X will play a lot, this should be true if he can play defense which I know our coaching staff is teaching him to do like they do with all of our players.
-HCBS has said numerous times we will run and 8 or 9 man rotation just like we always have. He also has said that if Marcus can also play the 3 spot then that likely would cut that to an 8 man rotation because he can play multiple positions. It has been widely reported that Marcus has been practicing at the 3 and has looked good doing it so far, the Twins seem to be really hard workers and it sounds like they have improved a lot over the summer.
-Marcus playing the 3 spot almost kills any chance for travis or mario little to see very much court time this year, that is if HCBS plays Marcus at the 3 which remains to be seen yet.
-I think it is a good assumption to say Mario Little will see little to no time at the 4 spot, most likely none. He is too small to play that position as well as our other options, and to be honest I think Kieff and Robinson are both better options for those minutes. This means Mario is fighting for that 9th spot.
-I expect the Twins minutes to increase. I think Marcus will start at the 4. Kieff will be the main backup Center for Cole because of his size and experience, although he isn't listed to be that much bigger than Robinson. I don't expect Robinson to start at any point this year, remember Darrell Arthur didn't start his freshman year because it takes time to get comfortable. But Robinson will play alot because we only have 4 big guys, and the twins were foul prone at times last year.
-I have seen some of you post that Kieff should redshirt. This makes no sense, with withey out first semester and only 2 other big guys besides cole, Kieff taking a redshirt won't happen, ever. Plus he is probably our 3rd best big guy.
- There are 2 really good battles for minutes at the 8th and 9th guy spots.
- My guess is Reed is in the lead for that 3rd small guard spot backing up sherron and tyshawn. Reed, EJ, CJ, and brady when he returns will be fighting it out for those minutes. Reed seems to be the best option early because of his experience and outside shooting, plus he won't turn in over which is a key to a back up guard.
-The other battle for that 9th spot will be between Mario, Travis, EJ, CJ. This spot will most likely be decided by game situations, and won't be for very many minutes i don't think. But we will be up by 50 in some games and they will get in.

Our main rotation includes:
Sherron
Tyshawn
X
Marcus
Cole
Kieff
Robinson
Reed
(maybe 1 of): Little, Releford, EJ, or CJ. for that 9th man spot

#992828 - 10/28/09 05:33 PM Re: Playing time projections [Re: brobinson86]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
Pretty long one for a maiden voyage.
Collins and Aldrich aren't going to average that many minutes. Self knows he has to have them healthy come tournament time and they won't play that much. Tight games Collins gets 2 breaks and Aldrich 2 or 3 but otherwise they don't average that many minutes.

#992829 - 10/28/09 05:35 PM Re: Playing time projections [Re: brobinson86]
horton_hombre Offline
John Brown

Loc: Got a gal in Kalamazoo
Welcome, brob. Pretty impressive first post. I like the way you break it down.

However--somebody's likely going to redshirt. Maybe two somebodies.

Who? See jaybate's posts in the reader comments at the bottom of the Reed story. His theories make as much sense as any others.

#992830 - 10/28/09 05:39 PM Re: Playing time projections [Re: horton_hombre]
billselfistheman Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Golfing with ChiHawk and MJ.
I would like to see Sherron's minutes down around 28-30 min so he is healthy come March. Hopefully Cole will stay out of foul trouble.

#992831 - 10/28/09 06:00 PM Re: Playing time projections [Re: billselfistheman]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
One of Jaybate's better efforts. His humor is still spectacularly inept and he reached the wrong conclusion but for Jaybate that was a good one.

Nobody shirts. mark it.

#992832 - 10/28/09 06:00 PM Re: Playing time projections [Re: Geezer]
brobinson86 Offline
Big Dipper

it was a long maiden voyage. i read this board everyday, but am always to lazy to post, so when i decided to post today i figured i should make it count, or i know you guys would eat me alive. On your minutes reply, i completely agree but it was hard for me to find a way to factor in blowout games meaningfully, my numbers would better apply to important/tournament games i guess

#992833 - 10/28/09 06:02 PM Re: Playing time projections [Re: horton_hombre]
brobinson86 Offline
Big Dipper

i think the best redshirt options are EJ and Travis. Both could start at some point in their career, and they won't play many meaningful minutes this year i dont think.

#992834 - 10/28/09 09:02 PM Re: Playing time projections [Re: brobinson86]
kuME10 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Lawrence, KS
i don't think X will play 25 min a game. i would expect him to when he gets comfortable around the end of the first semester, but that's when Brady comes back. he should be happy with 15-20/game.

#992835 - 10/28/09 09:41 PM Re: Playing time projections [Re: kuME10]
joeku Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Kansas City
It will not set well with future recruiting if we redshirt a top 25 recruit. However, I do like the idea of redshirting Little

#992836 - 10/28/09 09:49 PM Re: Playing time projections [Re: kuME10]
brobinson86 Offline
Big Dipper

maybe you are right, but i doubt with his talent and work ethic travis or mario little are going to beat him out of his minutes. he is just to talented i think, i mean X has NBA talent and i am not sure that travis or mario do. maybe travis will in time but that may not be this year. I dont think EJ will redshirt either but i think travis and him are the best option if redshirts are given. I dont think there will be more than 1 though.

#992837 - 10/28/09 10:01 PM Re: Playing time projections [Re: brobinson86]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Ah sh1t. At least were talkin hoops.

Fun to predict because Self always surprises us. Hes not afraid to test the Morningstar minutes that no one was expecting last season. He could reward Cole and Sherron favorable minutes to pad their future goals. He may reward X or Robinson a few extra for busting their tails. He may start Conner Teahan for and ego check to start the season because Coach Self is crazy like that.

#992838 - 10/28/09 10:38 PM Re: Playing time projections [Re: Hawklin]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
May be a stupid question....will Xavier really be a starter? I've heard some stuff about EJ possibly being the best raw talent from someone who is lifelong friends with Danny Manning that makes me think that EJ will not redshirt, and will suprise a lot of people. I'm not trying to scoop anyone, just telling you what I've heard from a pretty good source.

RCJHKU!

#992839 - 10/28/09 11:46 PM Re: Playing time projections [Re: KUHawkhead]
kuME10 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Lawrence, KS
If X doesn't start, who will mark the spot?

#992840 - 10/29/09 12:07 AM Re: Playing time projections [Re: kuME10]
phineasgage Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: 10th and Illinois
sherron - 30
cole - 27
tyshawn - 25
marcus - 24
x - 23
reed - 19
markieff - 15
trob - 10
little/cj/ej/withey/releford/brady - 27

this is assuming games with no mop up/walk on time. i'm pretty sure at this point that reed will be our 4th guard now that brady's done for awhile, and who ever the 5th guard is never gets meaningful minutes anyways so the times will vary drastically. the important rotation is the 4 bigs and the four guards. if i had to pick the 5th guard spot now, i would probably go with releford first semester then brady second, who will get some time spelling x. i really don't know though.

#992841 - 10/29/09 12:11 AM Re: Playing time projections [Re: Geezer]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

One of Jaybate's better efforts. His humor is still spectacularly inept and he reached the wrong conclusion but for Jaybate that was a good one.

Nobody shirts. mark it.

Done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview