Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#992556 - 10/28/09 01:54 PM A major shift in recruiting regulations?
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
From the always-great Dana O'Neil

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=4601355

Among the meatier suggestions in the package:

Eliminating so-called package deals, making it nearly impossible for a college program to hire any of the myriad of hangers-on associated with prospective student-athletes.

Disallowing college coaches to subscribe to recruiting services run by people associated with prospects. This would curtail services offered by AAU programs (and others) that charge colleges to subscribe but sometimes offer little to no information on the prospect.

Preventing payment to nonprofit organizations benefiting summer-club teams, prospects or people attached to prospects.

Preventing coaches from hiring outsiders to work at their camps and clinics.

All are designed, in the words of Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, to "bright line" what is legal and illegal in a portion of the black-and-white rulebook that has been smudged gray.

#992557 - 10/28/09 02:19 PM Re: A major shift in recruiting regulations? [Re: JFish26]
DrPepper Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:

As potentially ground-shaking as the rules are, the punishments come with equally sharp teeth.

Head or assistant coaches could be suspended from participation from regular-season games as well as the NCAA tournament, and the penalties would follow him to subsequent jobs.

Also, basketball players caught in the web could be rendered permanently ineligible at a school found guilty of one of these infractions.

I don't know about this. If this all goes through, then one of the ways a school would be marketing itself (and some already do) is to say "your records will never be wiped from the books, this program will never be penalized by NCAA, etc.." However, I don't think a Derrick Rose cares one bit about anything he did/earned at Memphis because of the paycheck he gets now.

It would be really hard for the NCAA to ever tell a kid he/she is no longer a student athlete because his/her high school coach's per diem check was to large at a summer camp 3 years ago. There isn't an FBI/NCIS network out there investigating these things anyway.

I like that the penalties follow a coach, but until they hit a coach's pocketbook (as some do because of their contracts with their employer), I really don't think they have sharp teeth.

#992558 - 10/28/09 02:20 PM Re: A major shift in recruiting regulations? [Re: JFish26]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
>> Preventing coaches from hiring outsiders to work at their camps and clinics.<<

I know this one can be abused but who are the bigger camps going to get to staff them. And bringing in Former players or say Billy Clyde to teach seems to violate this. Confusing.

#992559 - 10/28/09 02:22 PM Re: A major shift in recruiting regulations? [Re: JFish26]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Quote:

Disallowing college coaches to subscribe to recruiting services run by people associated with prospects. This would curtail services offered by AAU programs (and others) that charge colleges to subscribe but sometimes offer little to no information on the prospect.

When I went to see Sherron play in highschool they asked me at the door if I was a subscriber. I stood there looking dumb. I just came to watch the games I said. 450.00 if you are a subscriber. 5 bucks if you are just here to watch. I still didnt know what that meant for a year or so after. Why? Because the guy handed "subscribers" about 10 pages of photocopied and stapled sheets of paper. Looked just like my program did.

#992560 - 10/28/09 02:42 PM Re: A major shift in recruiting regulations? [Re: Hawklin]
KMan_24 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Preventing coaches from hiring outsiders to work at their camps and clinics.

I don't agree with this one at all. Camps are one of the great institutions in America for making connections when you are a young person out of college trying to find a place. I used to work KU's camp as a student for several years. They staff it with HS coaches, other D-I coaches, managers from teams of other D-I schools. KU's camp is f#cking huge. They fill up two dorms for three different week long sessions. It is not realistic to staff the camp with a bunch of KU students.

#992561 - 10/28/09 03:02 PM Re: A major shift in recruiting regulations? [Re: KMan_24]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

There have been some sizable checks cut to some AAU coaches of high profile recruits but I don't know how to define them as opposed to other people working the camps.

#992562 - 10/28/09 04:04 PM Re: A major shift in recruiting regulations? [Re: JFish26]
bpritchett Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Exile
If they really cared about student athletes, they would couple that with a stipend --- like I got with my academic scholarship.

Pay the kids up front a predetermined amount so all of them can afford Pollard's old car, some new clothes and the movies on Saturday night. Cut out all the under the table garbage that puts money in the pocket of everybody else.

That said -- I still think there was nothing wrong -- morally or otherwise -- hiring Ronnie Chalmers, he was a great add to the program, some of the crap wouldn't have gone on if he was still here and it's too bad that people like him won't be able to work with their sons and daughters.

#992563 - 10/28/09 04:15 PM Re: A major shift in recruiting regulations? [Re: bpritchett]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

They can't touch the Doug Comptons and the Fedexs of the world hiring Mom and older Bro.

#992564 - 10/28/09 05:48 PM Re: A major shift in recruiting regulations? [Re: Geezer]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

DC Assault might go bankrupt.

#992565 - 10/29/09 09:55 PM Re: A major shift in recruiting regulations? [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Approved.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4606269

Effective immediately, coaches will no longer be allowed to employ a person associated with a prospective student-athlete at a camp or clinic, make payments to nonprofit organizations that a person associated with a prospect has either a proprietary or financial interest in, or use 1-900 telephone numbers for recruiting purposes. Coaches found in violation of any of the rules could be suspended from coaching regular-season or NCAA tournament games.

The rest of the package, which includes legislation aimed at stopping so-called package deals, will be sponsored by the board of directors. Member institutions will be solicited for feedback, with a vote on changes expected in April.

Preview