Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#991659 - 10/26/09 02:13 PM Interesting tidbit about Naismith
dos_hequis Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin, TX
A minister as well as a medical doctor, he quickly realized that taller players had an advantage in basketball and wondered if there was a way to stretch babies to make them grow taller. Naismith actually conducted experiments on a machine he invented.

In 1907, he said his theory was that “the body is more or less elastic” and that “by stretching the body 30 minutes a day for six months, it will lengthen two inches.” He thought the best time to stretch individuals was from 5 months to a year old. He was worried that an individual might grow too quickly, and there would be no way to stop it from happening.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger

#991660 - 10/26/09 02:19 PM Re: Interesting tidbit about Naismith [Re: dos_hequis]
dos_hequis Offline
Prairie Warrior

Sorry, I've tried linking to the actually story instead of the blog, but I can't get it to work.

#991661 - 10/26/09 02:38 PM Re: Interesting tidbit about Naismith [Re: dos_hequis]
KanedaMGM Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

#991662 - 10/26/09 02:50 PM Re: Interesting tidbit about Naismith [Re: KanedaMGM]
dos_hequis Offline
Prairie Warrior

Apprecaite it

#991663 - 10/26/09 03:18 PM Re: Interesting tidbit about Naismith [Re: dos_hequis]
ErnieCosmos Offline
Baby Jay

A new Naismith biography comes out Wednesday by Rob Rains and Naismith's granddaughter Hellen Carpenter. Google books has a preview,

http://books.google.com/books?id=xmashQb...;q=&f=false

#991664 - 10/27/09 01:24 AM Re: Interesting tidbit about Naismith [Re: ErnieCosmos]
faithful1 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Kansas
I didn't know, but guessed right, when the football announcers for the KU/OU game asked the question "Who invented the first football helmet?"
You guessed it - Dr. Naismith. They said he got tired of having bruised ears so he cut a football in half and put it on ! LOL, I wonder if that is in the book?

#991665 - 10/29/09 12:25 AM Re: Interesting tidbit about Naismith [Re: faithful1]
Naismith Offline
The Founder

Loc: Memorial Park Cemetery, KS.
Quote:

"To this day, he remains the only coach in the university’s storied history in the sport with a losing career record. That might have been because in many of the games when he was supposed to be coaching, he also was working as the referee."

Yes thanks for mentioning that!

A lot of those games we lost were because I got so pissed off at myself over foul calls, that I would T myself up for arguing with myself. I even had to throw myself out of the game one time. It was quite an ugly spectacle!

#991666 - 10/29/09 03:04 AM Re: Interesting tidbit about Naismith [Re: dos_hequis]
OREAD Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

I think we should at least experiment with the idea. There are people who would do it for a Happy Meal.

#991667 - 10/29/09 07:02 AM Re: Interesting tidbit about Naismith [Re: OREAD]
TAXMAN Offline
(~_o)

Loc: Mesquite, TX
Quote:

I think we should at least experiment with the idea. There are people who would do it for a Happy Meal.

New point guard?

Preview