Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#988718 - 10/23/09 12:35 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: ZgetZ]
jermio Offline
Big Dipper

I agree that Selby will not want to play behind Taylor, but if Taylor leaves, there is a chance we could get Lamb and Selby. Selby would likely run point (depending on how much progress EJ maks) and Lamb would play the 2.

#988719 - 10/23/09 12:37 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: jermio]
ZgetZ Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
I'd rather keep TT and have Selby go wherever. But I would most defiantly take Selby in a heartbeat if TT decided he wanted to go.

#988720 - 10/23/09 12:41 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: ZgetZ]
ZgetZ Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
Also, don't know if it's relevant, but he posted about his UNC visit 25 days after it happened, OU 9 days after it happened, and KU 5 days after it happened. But again, just throwing the info out there.

Kid has his head on straight, wish him the best of luck wherever he goes.

#988721 - 10/23/09 02:08 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
DantheMan Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Not enough TV sets
Quote:

let the tea-leaf reading begin

Here's my best shot...

The only thing I can do is compare what he wrote about his UNC and KU visits, and extrapolate something regarding Duke, based on other information. I don't think any other school is in it.

Duke
He has visited them three times, per the "clears up Duke/UNC rumors" article on highschoolhoops. That is a lot of times to pay your own way to the East Coast. Also, he is close to Kyrie Irving, who just committed to Duke.

Here is an excerpt from an interview with Austin Rivers, the #5 prospect, now considering de-committing from Florida in favor of Duke (same site):

HSH: The popular rumor is that Duke is in good shape for both Kyrie and Harrison Barnes. Did you get the impression that the staff was confident about landing them?
AR: Yeah, yeah I think that they feel really good about Kyrie, and I know that Kyrie is really good with them. Obviously, you never know, but I know they feel good about that. With Harrison, I think they feel good about him too, but Id bet there are a couple of schools that feel good about their chances with him. You just never know, but yeah I think they feel good about them both.

The "couple of schools" comment is interesting.

UNC
It seemed like several things made an impression on Barnes, on this visit. Here were the hi-lights:

- (the coaching staff) had some "sweet" experiences to share.
- (the UNC museum) has "priceless" things. A detailed paragraph about this experience. It was a "cool" experience.
- meeting MJ was a great experience; he was one of his favorite players ever.
- it was "just cool" to see how the older NBA stars interacted with recent graduates in the alumni game.
- "thoroughly enjoyed" finding out what his schedule would look like.
- he could tell how much Vince Carter missed UNC, and he was "real aggressive" about why he should want to go to UNC. Got to meet "really important people" like Larry Brown and George Karl.
- Whole paragraph detailing the "most important thing": the ring ceremony. Players are rock stars.

His visit definitely occurred on a best case scenario opportunity for UNC, with the alumni event and the ring ceremony going on.

KU
To me, this whole entry uses more matter-of-fact language. "I did this, it was great". It was nice. I enjoyed it. Here were his KU hi-lights:

- seeing the new facilities was "really a good time"
- Barnes has established a good relationship with the current players. He mentioned several players by name, including X and EJ, who he visited with last year, and hung out with the players a lot. He even summarizes his visit with a comment about hanging out with the guys.
- Enjoyed watching Self coach the team in practice, and how the players respond to him.
- Obviously, he was blown away by Self's house.

If KU gets Barnes, it will be his relationship with Self and the team, and the proximity of the school that gave us the advantage. I think he was awed by his UNC visit, which had a confluence of events to dazzle him with. Duke probably interests him the most, from an education standpoint, and his friend just committed there.

I hope he enjoyed meeting the Dean/Chancellor and the Business School reps more than his journal indicates. He mentioned our Dean is new, and literally said nothing about how his visit with the Business School went. I hope we gave this part of the recruitment enough attention.

If I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say KU has about a 25% chance of getting Barnes. Slightly less than even up with Duke and UNC.

Coach Self is our wild-card. I think he and his family really like him.

#988722 - 10/23/09 04:56 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: kufan80]
tylerj Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

I hope the Jayhawks in the NBA video resonated with him at Late Night!

Me too but it's not like Duke, UNC, OU, and UK don't send kids to the NBA and my guess is Barnes knows he will play in the NBA no matter where he goes.

#988723 - 10/23/09 07:25 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: tylerj]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

He doesnt want to upset Duke or UNC, so he takes us to make a clean break. If he goes to either school there hes going to let down a coach and hear it from fans.

#988724 - 10/23/09 07:38 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: Hawklin]
jensen2 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: OP
Hinson working the grill. Love it.

#988725 - 10/23/09 08:34 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: jensen2]
Zhawk06 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Washington D.C.
Something tells me we end up with McCallum and Lamb to go along with Woolridge. I think we if anyone is going to the this year's "HCBS Surprise", it'll be Brandon Knight.

#988726 - 10/23/09 08:35 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: jensen2]
georgiahawk Offline
John Brown

I guess I'm not sure why folks think UNC is out - -

"After three visits its still difficult to compare them. At North Carolina I had only been down there once briefly. Then I went back and I got to see them in action. I saw the alumni, the history and the players and that was a great time."

I would think that receiving a reach-around from M. Jordan would close the deal.

#988727 - 10/23/09 08:49 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: jermio]
Hawkstars39 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Des Moines, Iowa
Quote:

I agree that Selby will not want to play behind Taylor, but if Taylor leaves, there is a chance we could get Lamb and Selby. Selby would likely run point (depending on how much progress EJ maks) and Lamb would play the 2.

I don't think Selby will have to play behind Taylor. Taylor would play the 1 and Selby at the 2 similar to Russ at the 1 and Mario at the 2. Both combo type guards with Taylor taking on more of Russell's role as the distributer and Selby as more of the scorer similar to Mario. Both having the ability to bring the ball up in a combo guard fashion that Self likes. EJ and Lamb would come off the bench.

In my opinion after watching endless videos of all these guys, Selby has to be our top choice, if we got to choice. He reminds me so much of what Mario gave us. Very athletic, fast, can drive, dish, has the floater in the lane, shoots the 3 and is a great on the ball defender. He's my top choice.

A line up of :
1. Taylor
2. Selby
3. Releford
4. Marcus Morris
5. Thomas Robinson or Jeff Whithey

is quite the posibility for next year. Thats a top 15, maybe even top 10 preseason starting lineup.

#988728 - 10/23/09 08:52 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: Zhawk06]
Hawkstars39 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Des Moines, Iowa
Quote:

Something tells me we end up with McCallum and Lamb to go along with Woolridge. I think we if anyone is going to the this year's "HCBS Surprise", it'll be Brandon Knight.

We're not recruiting McCallum any more.

#988729 - 10/23/09 08:56 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: Hawklin]
rhino Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Kansas
Quote:

He doesnt want to upset Duke or UNC, so he takes us to make a clean break. If he goes to either school there hes going to let down a coach and hear it from fans.

If he comes to KU he stays in conference and lets down his hometown. I'd say that is an equally hard proposition. My guess is he ends up out of conference, UNC or Duke.

#988730 - 10/23/09 09:23 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: rhino]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

We're screwed.

#988731 - 10/23/09 09:34 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: georgiahawk]
DCHawk1 Offline
Proudly Derivative.

Loc: District of Columbia
I would think that receiving a reach-around from M. Jordan would close the deal.

HA!

Chamillionaire.

Or something like that.

Kid's gonna play for Tuby.

#988732 - 10/23/09 09:41 AM Re: Harrison Barnes Diary on Kansas [Re: DCHawk1]
hawks82 Offline
Baby Jay

I love how everyone is forgetting we still have a good shot at landing Brandon Knight...not a single mention of the best college player in the country imho.

In all seriousness it would be legendary to shake jordans hand and sit with him at an alumni game...but I think this kid has more on his mind that playing at the same school that jordan did. I still think its really between us and Duke.

Edited by hawks82 (10/23/09 09:42 AM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview