Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#974594 - 10/21/09 06:38 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
TWestJayhawker Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Playing Golf
ah, I love sitting in the back seats of cars with subs. it's like getting a back massage

#974595 - 10/21/09 06:46 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: B_of_H]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Topeka
BOH: Yeah, you got it. A barebones speaker for pro audio applications will usually have a thiele/small parameter sheet which will enable you to design an enclosure which will either boost or offset the natural resonance characteristics of that particular driver. The most common rating is the sensitivity rating which will usually read something like : 100db 1w1m @ 200hz - meaning (like you said) if you have the speaker in free air and you input 1 watt of power into it at a constant tone of 200hz, an spl meter should read 100 decibels from 1 meter away. Sometimes you'll see companies use different parameters like instead of 1 watt they will list a voltage (2.83v or something). You'll also see them list different efficiencies at varying impedance.

EV (electro-voice) and Cerwin-Vega used to include box building specs that would help boost certain freqs. EV had this big ass driver called the MTL-4 that specifically listed how to build a box for that "punch you in the chest" feeling.

5decade: That was about the most entertaining episode for SPL guys I've ever seen. The spl they hit wasn't super impressive... what WAS impressive was the frequency that they hit it at!

I don't think I've ever been in a vehicle that was loud enough to literally KILL you (popular competitor myth), but I have seen some vehicles that caused some destruction to themselves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUqAkw0NQks

Fast forward a little past 2 minutes. A good friend of mine had a red ford bronco called "the beast" that was pretty good at shattering windows (and messing up hairdo's)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KJQC_OeNQA&feature=related

Whodathunk you would have had a grandma with one of the loudest vehicles on earth? Alma is one wacky gal!

#974596 - 10/21/09 07:51 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: 13Hawk]
WestSideBomber Offline
Baby Jay

Now, I'm a newbie jayhawk fan (went to my first KU game last season)...but I honestly can't imagine anything louder than that Texas game! I've been to loud concerts and such, but nothing will ever come close to AFH, especially during those plays. My ears literally felt like they were going to explode!

So, I guess my point is the same as 13hawk's...AFH=LOUD!!!

#974597 - 10/21/09 08:26 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: holidaysmore]
TAXMAN Offline
(~_o)

Loc: Mesquite, TX
Quote:

And that my friends is ALLEN FIELDHOUSE.

I often wonder how loud it was in the barn that day against G. Tech. Or Okie State. Both of those games it sounded like a jet was taking off.

I mean literally against Okie State Lucas was like a 85 or 90% foul shooter. Most of the time the student section does the "sit down and jump" or the "wave" or the "shhhh be quiet and then scream" routine (s) but that day on the second throw everyone just started yelling. And then yelling some more. And I will swear to this day it got so loud in there that I could feel the Fieldhouse move and I will say without any doubt that was the reason why Lucas missed that second free throw.

That was Senior Night for Langford, Miles, Simien, right? That was the loudest I've ever heard it. We won by two points?

#974598 - 10/21/09 08:38 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: 13Hawk]
TAXMAN Offline
(~_o)

Loc: Mesquite, TX
Quote:

Quote:

...i used to own a blaupunkt, in 1997.

I used to buy blaupunkt for building home audio subs . I worked at Besy Buy in 97... I think I got a 12" sub for 39$. That was back when "dual voicecoil" was some arcane term that only home audio enthusiasts knew about (before amplifiers could drive .25 ohm loads and literally arc-weld before they over-current'ed).

My first "stereo" was a sony cdx5290. You could change the color of the faceplate from amber to green! I ran that indestructible headunit in tandem with a "pyle" 25x2 amplifier that really made my 3.5" dash speakers sound great!

After that horrible start I got serious about things and went through MTX, Kicker, PPI, Cerwin Vega, SoundStream, Rockford Foz"broke" and then got sponsored by Crystal Mobilesound. I always stuck with clarion headunits. I think the Soundstream 10.0 class A amps were the best sounding I ever had.

I stopped competing 5 years ago after I hit 167db with 1 dual voicecoil CMP X215 and 2 "600 watt" 600.2T class T amps. The wife got tired of having expanding foam and concrete in a 4 cylinder car!

I still use the 15" for a home audio sub... and let me tell ya - you haven't watched the National Championship game till you've FELT it.

That is pretty cool. You were an enthusiast. Did you ever win anything? I had a sony deck also in 1999. Not sure of the model, but it was the one that electronically flipped down to a 70 degree or so angle and you controlled it like a little terminal from there. when you closed it it was just a screen with graphics and a small button to open it. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Also, I paired it with some "Rockford Foz"broke" 12 inch subwoofers. I cannot remember the amperage, but my friend did all the work and he said the amp warranted much better subs but all I wanted it to do was rattle so everyone would look at how cool I was! lol.

I remember my friend who installed it had a really nice amp and I think an Infinity brand single ten inch subwoofer and it was supremely louder than my two twelve inches. It, however got stolen.

#974599 - 10/21/09 09:26 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: TAXMAN]
TWestJayhawker Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Playing Golf
My friend has 2 kicker 12's in his trunk. they hit pretty hard lol.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview