Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#974579 - 10/21/09 11:32 AM Droppin some science on you mofos.
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Topeka
This post is loosely related to this post... So if you're confused at first, it's okay!

Sound pressure level is pretty misunderstood by most people. As a former car audio competitor (DBDrag, USAC, IASCA) I feel the need to point out just how effin' cool Allen Fieldhouse is.

That would be a 102.4db reading. For car audio people that is pretty weak - but it's all relative. In car audio comps that reading is taken about an inch off the windshield , a few inches off the dash about a foot in from the "A" pillar.

Here's why that is pertinent. A decibel (in speaker terms) is usually measured by how loud it is at 1 meter (3.28 feet). A basketball court is usually 94' x 50' (28.65 m by 15.24 m). I can't find the exact figure, but the videoboard looks to be 50-60 feet over the court, and I'm betting the microphone to measure dbl is in the videoboard.

With the crowd being no closer than 60 feet (18.29 meters) in a straight line of sight with the videoboard, and in most cases farther away than that (and keeping in mind that sound goes by the law of squares) the fact that the crowd is 18 times farther away than the average spl db measurement...

means:

Allen = freakin' LOUD!

(you didn't really think I was going somewhere with all that did'ja?)

LOUD!

#974580 - 10/21/09 11:49 AM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: 13Hawk]
hartjack8 Offline
KANSAS

Loc: fl
Just gave me goosebumps!!!!!!!!

Very nice 13hawk 5 stars for you.

#974581 - 10/21/09 11:51 AM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: 13Hawk]
KUColBond Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Westminster, CO
The mics are actually above the tunnels at the southwest and northeast ends kind of pointing toward the student section (or at least they would have been last year). Still way more than 1m away from the source, but I don't know if they perform any adjustment for the distance, or exactly how that number is reached.

#974582 - 10/21/09 12:09 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: KUColBond]
PhogPhanatic Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Practicing "the shot"
Well done 13hawk - I was at that game, definitely one of the loudest games of the year (Mizzery game being the loudest).

#974583 - 10/21/09 12:15 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: PhogPhanatic]
NDballer13 Offline
kusports.net

Loc: North Dakota
That Taylor dunk was my favorite play of the whole year.

#974584 - 10/21/09 01:31 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: 13Hawk]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

I COULDN'T HEAR A SINGLE THING YOU SAID, 13.

COULD YOU TYPE IT AGAIN A LITTLE LOUDER, PLEASE?

#974585 - 10/21/09 02:12 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: 13Hawk]
TAXMAN Offline
(~_o)

Loc: Mesquite, TX
Quote:

This post is loosely related to this post... So if you're confused at first, it's okay!

Sound pressure level is pretty misunderstood by most people. As a former car audio competitor (DBDrag, USAC, IASCA) I feel the need to point out just how effin' cool Allen Fieldhouse is.

That would be a 102.4db reading. For car audio people that is pretty weak - but it's all relative. In car audio comps that reading is taken about an inch off the windshield , a few inches off the dash about a foot in from the "A" pillar.

Here's why that is pertinent. A decibel (in speaker terms) is usually measured by how loud it is at 1 meter (3.28 feet). A basketball court is usually 94' x 50' (28.65 m by 15.24 m). I can't find the exact figure, but the videoboard looks to be 50-60 feet over the court, and I'm betting the microphone to measure dbl is in the videoboard.

With the crowd being no closer than 60 feet (18.29 meters) in a straight line of sight with the videoboard, and in most cases farther away than that (and keeping in mind that sound goes by the law of squares) the fact that the crowd is 18 times farther away than the average spl db measurement...

means:

Allen = freakin' LOUD!

LOUD!

Car stereo decks and subwoofers are so 1997. Let me guess: Blaupunkt?

Edited by TAXMAN (10/21/09 02:14 PM)

#974586 - 10/21/09 02:18 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: TAXMAN]
KanedaMGM Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

Quote:

means:

Allen = freakin' LOUD!

LOUD!

Car stereo decks and subwoofers are so 1997. Let me guess: Blaupunkt?

Had to come back and edit that winner of post?

#974587 - 10/21/09 02:36 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: KanedaMGM]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just want everyone to know that I have no idea who this "TAXMAN" is...embarrasing.

#974588 - 10/21/09 02:57 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: KanedaMGM]
TAXMAN Offline
(~_o)

Loc: Mesquite, TX
it was a playful poke at car audio. i used to own a blaupunkt, in 1997. and i had to edit it because my laptop pointing pad is so sensitive that it put my sentence in the middle of your quoted paragraphs.

#974589 - 10/21/09 03:05 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: TAXMAN]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Korova Milkbar
Whew! For a minute, I thought there was gonna be math and such.

#974590 - 10/21/09 03:34 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: RManFlint]
holidaysmore Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Denver, Colorado
And that my friends is ALLEN FIELDHOUSE.

I often wonder how loud it was in the barn that day against G. Tech. Or Okie State. Both of those games it sounded like a jet was taking off.

I mean literally against Okie State Lucas was like a 85 or 90% foul shooter. Most of the time the student section does the "sit down and jump" or the "wave" or the "shhhh be quiet and then scream" routine (s) but that day on the second throw everyone just started yelling. And then yelling some more. And I will swear to this day it got so loud in there that I could feel the Fieldhouse move and I will say without any doubt that was the reason why Lucas missed that second free throw.

#974591 - 10/21/09 03:53 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: TAXMAN]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Topeka
Quote:

...i used to own a blaupunkt, in 1997.

I used to buy blaupunkt for building home audio subs . I worked at Besy Buy in 97... I think I got a 12" sub for 39$. That was back when "dual voicecoil" was some arcane term that only home audio enthusiasts knew about (before amplifiers could drive .25 ohm loads and literally arc-weld before they over-current'ed).

My first "stereo" was a sony cdx5290. You could change the color of the faceplate from amber to green! I ran that indestructible headunit in tandem with a "pyle" 25x2 amplifier that really made my 3.5" dash speakers sound great!

After that horrible start I got serious about things and went through MTX, Kicker, PPI, Cerwin Vega, SoundStream, Rockford Foz"broke" and then got sponsored by Crystal Mobilesound. I always stuck with clarion headunits. I think the Soundstream 10.0 class A amps were the best sounding I ever had.

I stopped competing 5 years ago after I hit 167db with 1 dual voicecoil CMP X215 and 2 "600 watt" 600.2T class T amps. The wife got tired of having expanding foam and concrete in a 4 cylinder car!

I still use the 15" for a home audio sub... and let me tell ya - you haven't watched the National Championship game till you've FELT it.

#974592 - 10/21/09 05:20 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: 13Hawk]
B_of_H Offline
is in your head....

Loc: the urban core
The speakers I use for guitar (10's and 12's) are rated at 100db to 103db sensitivity. That is how loud they are being pushed by 1 watt of power a foot away from the speaker.

Or at least that is how I understand it. Just sayin.

#974593 - 10/21/09 05:43 PM Re: Droppin some science on you mofos. [Re: B_of_H]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview