Gutter

Loc: Work
Come on 06! You are smarter than that.

#973470 - 10/20/09 12:08 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
Zhawk06 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Washington D.C.
Quote:

Well...what do any of us actually know about Sherron's intelligence? He could be a Rhodes Scholar or dumb as a brick...all I care about, from a basketball perspective, is can he put us in a position to win a championship.

I believe he can, and will. But because of his extraordinarily strong boom/bust tendency, I'm just a little nervous. Come April, we might not be able to ride out a bad game from our best or second-best player. This isn't 07-08, when we had a bunch of B+/A- players who could fill in for each other. We have two A+ level players and a bunch of unknowns after that.

If you're not just a tick nervous when Sherron's handling the ball in crunch time, I'd like to know what you were watching last year.

I was watching a guy that had to overcompensate and was FORCED to take control of situations while his teammates stood there with "deer in headlights" type expressions on their face. If you think that his supporting cast this year, given HCBS track record developing talent, will be anything less than at least a B/B+ your opinion is sadly uniformed. Some of what I remember of Sherron in crunch time with similar grade talent involves a stolen inbound pass, a 3 pointer, a pass for a game tying 3, 2 free throws, and a few seconds of dribble-out-the-clock as streamers fell to the floor.

You're absolutely right, last year Sherron could be erratic during crunch time. But when he's your first and only option of course the results will be a mixed bag.

#973471 - 10/20/09 12:12 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: Zhawk06]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Without a doubt, that steal, flip, recovery, and three was more difficult than Mario's shot.

#973472 - 10/20/09 12:12 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: larryb]
Zhawk06 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Haha, you're not answering my question.

"Hello! You play to win the game!". I don't understand why discussion of top-flight talent's high school record isn't up for discussion. Was he playing with a disabled squad? Was it coaching? Officiating? Was John Wall playing with one arm tied behind his back to make it fair? Did he only care about scoring 50 points? Is he a poor leader? Did he fail in crunch time? Was he not allowed to dribble? Why did John Wall's team lose 11 games?

I seriously don't understand how these aren't valid questions for debate or are too "taboo" to inform our assessment of a player.

#973473 - 10/20/09 12:14 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
Zhawk06 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Without a doubt, that steal, flip, recovery, and three was more difficult than Mario's shot.

Agreed. I'll see if I can dig up the YouTube video of that play without any sound. When Sherron shoots the 3 you can hear him yell "BOOOOM" before it hits the net because he knows it's going in.

#973474 - 10/20/09 12:22 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: Zhawk06]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
A visit to Wall's "High School" website may clear up some things.
http://summerfieldministries.net/demo8/

#973475 - 10/20/09 12:24 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: Geezer]
HunterThompson Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Woody Creek, CO
Das sum funny sh!t righ thar.

#973476 - 10/20/09 12:43 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: Zhawk06]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
Quote:

Quote:

"Hello! You play to win the game!". I don't understand why discussion of top-flight talent's high school record isn't up for discussion. Was he playing with a disabled squad? Was it coaching? Officiating? Was John Wall playing with one arm tied behind his back to make it fair? Did he only care about scoring 50 points? Is he a poor leader? Did he fail in crunch time? Was he not allowed to dribble? Why did John Wall's team lose 11 games?

I seriously don't understand how these aren't valid questions for debate or are too "taboo" to inform our assessment of a player.

I don't pretend to be a John Wall expert but I will do my best to answer your question/s. From what I have read - Wall had little talent around him. From what I have read - Wall's team had one of the toughest if not the toughest schedules in the state. From what I have read - HE was playing against better teams and was often double teamed. I have no idea about his coach but my guess is he was not one of the better coaches in the state. My guess is he never played with one arm tied around his back. If he cared about scoring 50 a game he wouldn't have averaged 9 assists a game and would have taken more shots. I have never heard him refered to as a scorer. I have no idea about his leadership skills in High School but I read that at the Jordan Brand Classic and the Nike Hoop Summit he was a leader and played the role well. Did he fail in crunch time? I could be wrong but I believe his inferior High School team (or HE) beat beat teams with better records and played for the State Championship. They lost on a 40 foot shot at the buzzer. I figure he was allowed to dribble. Why did his team lose 11 games? Because the other TEAM played better than his TEAM did. HE was still good enough to get his team to the State Championship.

#973477 - 10/20/09 12:47 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: larryb]
Zhawk06 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't pretend to be a John Wall expert but I will do my best to answer your question/s. From what I have read - Wall had little talent around him. From what I have read - Wall's team had one of the toughest if not the toughest schedules in the state. From what I have read - HE was playing against better teams and was often double teamed. I have no idea about his coach but my guess is he was not one of the better coaches in the state. My guess is he never played with one arm tied around his back. If he cared about scoring 50 a game he wouldn't have averaged 9 assists a game and would have taken more shots. I have never heard him refered to as a scorer. I have no idea about his leadership skills in High School but I read that at the Jordan Brand Classic and the Nike Hoop Summit he was a leader and played the role well. Did he fail in crunch time? I could be wrong but I believe his inferior High School team (or HE) beat beat teams with better records and played for the State Championship. They lost on a 40 foot shot at the buzzer. I figure he was allowed to dribble. Why did his team lose 11 games? Because the other TEAM played better than his TEAM did. HE was still good enough to get his team to the State Championship.

Great! And in answering all that you've made a point I had hoped to make myself. That, no matter how great John Wall is, it is going to be up his young, fellow teammates to live up to expectations in order for Kentucky to be good. Best case scenario: Oden, Greg. Likely scenario: Durant, Kevin and Beasley, Michael.

#973478 - 10/20/09 12:51 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: Zhawk06]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

You left someone out...

#973479 - 10/20/09 01:06 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Wall in a D1 halfcourt may not even get him on this list.

#973480 - 10/20/09 07:03 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: Hawklin]
phsx_hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: texas
sherron wants wall and not one single pic?

#973481 - 10/20/09 07:27 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
NDballer13 Offline
kusports.net

Loc: North Dakota
Quote:

You left someone out...

So did the record books.

If wer're thinking the same guy.

#973482 - 10/20/09 07:32 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: NDballer13]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Quote:

You left someone out...

So did the record books.

If wer're thinking the same guy.

No, I'm thinking of a guy who's still in the books (at our expense).

#973483 - 10/20/09 08:44 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: phsx_hawk]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Quote:

sherron wants wall and not one single pic?

Apparently my antics on JFishs memory lane thread broke my photobucket account.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview