Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#973454 - 10/19/09 05:31 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: hawks82]
TAXMAN Offline
(~_o)

Loc: Mesquite, TX
Quote:

I honestly think John Wall is a scary good slasher, and a great passer to boot. But what happens if he cant drive? Thats what I wanna know, I just dont see how you can pick a kid with HYPE and no proven college experience if you watched the OU game last year and keep a straight face....

I believe my jaw was resting on the floor when Sherron kept answering over and over.

Even though I made the comment that it is nerve rattling to see him move so fast...and to anticipate turnovers because of this...I'm glad we have the most aggressive guard in college basketball. There is absolutely no fear in the fireplug that is Sherron Collins.

#973455 - 10/19/09 06:21 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: TAXMAN]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
There might not be any fear, but the repeated post-game "we lost our composure" and "we have to make better decision" lines got old. Here's hoping Sherron's learned to channel what makes him dangerous to the other team and mitigate what makes him dangerous to his own.

#973456 - 10/19/09 06:30 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Quote:

There might not be any fear, but the repeated post-game "we lost our composure" and "we have to make better decision" lines got old. Here's hoping Sherron's learned to channel what makes him dangerous to the other team and mitigate what makes him dangerous to his own.

whoa yeah those lines got pretty old after 8 games of a 35 game season....especially on a team with only one player with significant experience..him. Say what you will fish...at least Sherron will man up and put the team on his back. Not like some of the guys would do in the previous season. Fortunate enough for us they didnt have to and it turned out great. Collins did what he had to last year.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (10/19/09 06:52 PM)

#973457 - 10/19/09 07:09 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: PHOGUSHER]
SashasVodka Offline
JohnBrownWithARifle

Loc: KC
I think the way Sherron has modulated his game over the past three years (from accepting a contributing role to dominating the ball) may be a welcome omen for those who expect sherron to be a facilitator more than a scorer. For those who continue to think that it's in his nature to be overzealous to a fault may be surprised by what he brings to the table this year.

#973458 - 10/19/09 07:27 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: HawkRawker]
NDballer13 Offline
kusports.net

Loc: North Dakota
Quote:

This team will play it's best when it's smashing opponents by 10-20 points.

Brilliant analysis. That's John Madden-esque. "4th and 3, if they don't get a first down on this play, they turn it over to the other eam's offense."

#973459 - 10/19/09 07:50 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: NDballer13]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Quote:

Quote:

Brilliant analysis. That's John Madden-esque. "4th and 3, if they don't get a first down on this play, they turn it over to the other eam's offense."

lol...hey nd...how did you like them showing the Bison on ESPNs Midnight Madness last friday.....they have arrived!!!!

#973460 - 10/19/09 08:01 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: NDballer13]
AdonisJordan Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Lawrence
Quote:

Quote:

"You need to see, because if you can't see, you don't know where you're going..."

#973461 - 10/19/09 09:20 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: AdonisJordan]
jkjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, KS
We had to have Collins carrying the team last year. Bill figured it out long before the season ever started. I think that's something he doesn't get much credit for... the drastic change in strategy from '08 to '09. You know it was pretty obvious we needed to ride Collins and Aldrich, but some coaches never adjust their strategy to fit their personnel. Self should get more credit for being not being dumb. That's a big part of being smart. He doesn't waver from the right thing to do even if it's not popular (Moody, Hawkins, Morningstar, etc.)

What I hope to see from Collins, because it's the right thing for Collins to do, is to know how to use his teammates to win the game at the expense of his own line. When I hear him talking about this John Wall challenge, I hope what he's getting at is he's smart enough to talk trash but then let the young guy get caught up in the hotdog game and make the ballhog-type mistakes. Collins has guys to rely on this year.

#973462 - 10/19/09 09:24 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: jkjhawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Sorry, when you're making $3MM or whatever, you do not get credit for not being dumb. What else was Self supposed to do last year?

#973463 - 10/19/09 09:50 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
joeku Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Kansas City
Quote:

If Sherron learned what he needed to learn from that, he might be the best player in college basketball.

Given how important Sherron is to winning another title, I'll admit to being a little nervous about him in close-and-late situations
Quote:

Really. I love Sherron, but it's a little scary to have such an important player be so boom-or-bust. If Sherron hasn't improved one bit since last season, we're a great team and a strong candidate to win a championship. If Sherron's grown up a bit, we're better than 07-08.

I'm optimistic. I really am.

No, you come off as arrogant. You are basically implying that there is something you positively know Sherron needs to do to become the best player in college basketball and make this team better than the 07-08 team that he himself just might not understand. If this is the case than you are clearly insulting the man's intelligence. Or maybe you are suggesting the man understands what improvements he must make, but just might be too selfish to do what it takes. Either way, this is not optimism.

#973464 - 10/19/09 10:00 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: joeku]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Well...what do any of us actually know about Sherron's intelligence? He could be a Rhodes Scholar or dumb as a brick...all I care about, from a basketball perspective, is can he put us in a position to win a championship.

I believe he can, and will. But because of his extraordinarily strong boom/bust tendency, I'm just a little nervous. Come April, we might not be able to ride out a bad game from our best or second-best player. This isn't 07-08, when we had a bunch of B+/A- players who could fill in for each other. We have two A+ level players and a bunch of unknowns after that.

If you're not just a tick nervous when Sherron's handling the ball in crunch time, I'd like to know what you were watching last year.

#973465 - 10/19/09 10:15 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
jkjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Quote:

Sorry, when you're making $3MM or whatever, you do not get credit for not being dumb. What else was Self supposed to do last year?

He gets credit from me. Exactly what is wrong with saying the guy did a good job? You don't think he appreciates positive reinforcement?

#973466 - 10/19/09 10:17 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
joeku Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Kansas City
HE ALREADY HAS put us in a position to win a national championship. This is why i'm not as nervous when Sherron is handling the ball in crunch time.

Edited by joeku (10/19/09 10:18 PM)

#973467 - 10/20/09 10:31 AM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JHAWKinKY]
medington Offline
Baby Jay

Someone had to bring the ball past half court for Chalmers because he could not do it. That is why Self put Collins in as a freshmen. Any time we had trouble getting the ball down court he put Collins in the game. Without Collins we would have lost a bunch of games last year. In the last game with Michigan we played the game with two people Sherron and Cole, No one else showed up and lacked confidence toward the last to step up and shoot the ball. Without Collins this year we would not win the big 12 let alone play in March.

#973468 - 10/20/09 11:57 AM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
Zhawk06 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Washington D.C.
Quote:

Talking about Wall's high school record is pretty useless, isn't it? And isn't the point that Sherron shouldn't care how much he scores this year?

I never understand why is it useless to discuss Wall's (or any other consensus #1 rated high school player -- like Bryce Brown in football) high school record? You, supposedly, have best high school player in the country on your team and the best you can do is 17-11? Wall is, supposedly, going to come in and be a Kevin Durant/Mike Beasley type, compete for NPOY and 1st Team AA honors. He's a supposed Lebron James-PG type (with regard to his skill set and athletic ability for his position relative to his age). How many 11 loss season did Lebron James have in high school?

I just don't understand how it always seems to be considered such an irrelevant subject. How is it not an enigma to anybody else that such a magnificent talent can allow his team to lose 11 out of 28 games?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview