Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#973424 - 10/19/09 01:51 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
I hope Wall is the best Freshman I have ever seen. I hope Wall wins the Naismith. I hope Wall is the first pick in the 2010 NBA Draft.

I hope Sherron's team wins the National Championship.

I really don't care for personal accolades as much as I care for team accolades.

Thank you Parrish for helping to light a fire (temporary or not) under Collins.

#973425 - 10/19/09 01:52 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
ross52066 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Quote:

Quote:

Wall might possibly put up better numbers, but I'm sure Sherron doesn't care who is scoring when April rolls around.

Maybe this is true. I believe that Sherron doesn't care who's scoring if we're up ten. But I get a feeling that in close-and-late situations, he might think our only play is to clear out with 12 seconds on the clock and let him go to work.

Well, then the answer is just to keep ourselves out of close-and-late situations and blow away every team we play this year by at least 10 pts.

#973426 - 10/19/09 01:54 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JHAWKinKY]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Talking about Wall's high school record is pretty useless, isn't it? And isn't the point that Sherron shouldn't care how much he scores this year?

I'm not being negative for the sake of being negative. Really. I love Sherron, but it's a little scary to have such an important player be so boom-or-bust. If Sherron hasn't improved one bit since last season, we're a great team and a strong candidate to win a championship. If Sherron's grown up a bit, we're better than 07-08.

I'm optimistic. I really am. But I can't help my nature--the losses sting more than the wins thrill. Except that one win a couple years ago. That one still feels great. And I want it again. Given how important Sherron is to winning another title, I'll admit to being a little nervous about him in close-and-late situations. The good thing is that I'm easily impressed. I can't wait for the season to start.

#973427 - 10/19/09 02:05 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: ross52066]
faithful1 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Kansas
Playing the "Nobody respects our Team" (ala Calipari at Memphis) might work out well for us this year. It does, however, kill me to see media types anoint someone 'god' prior to proving it at the college level. Yeah, Wall is a speedy guard but there is more to basketball than pure physical attributes like stamina, bball knowledge, cunning, keeping your ego in check, injury etc. Rarely is one man the savior for a whole team. Even Cal said at his MMadness that they have a long way to go. He's trying to temper the predictions a bit, too.

In the meantime, Sherron is a proven winner and has made many a clutch play in big games. He already has a ring and will have a diploma. This is likely more than one and done Wall will have.

#973428 - 10/19/09 02:07 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
RussianHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Washington D.C.
Quote:

Quote:

Wall might possibly put up better numbers, but I'm sure Sherron doesn't care who is scoring when April rolls around.

Maybe this is true. I believe that Sherron doesn't care who's scoring if we're up ten. But I get a feeling that in close-and-late situations, he might think our only play is to clear out with 12 seconds on the clock and let him go to work.

This is exactly the play you want with 12 seconds left….. Sherron was nothing, but amazing last season driving at the end of the half and either laying it in, or kicking out for a three.

#973429 - 10/19/09 02:25 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: RussianHawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is exactly the play you want with 12 seconds left….. Sherron was nothing, but amazing last season driving at the end of the half and either laying it in, or kicking out for a three.

Well, fine, but:

---

"It allowed the Orange an opportunity to tie, which Jonny Flynn did by hitting a three from the side over Aldrich with six seconds left.

That three, followed by a Sherron Collins 14-foot miss at :02, forced overtime, which the Orange won handily, 17-9."

---

KU’s 5-foot-11 junior go-to guy, who misfired on a tough, possible game-winning six-foot left-handed shot in the lane with six seconds left, definitely took this loss harder than the Jayhawks’ only other setback — an overtime decision to Syracuse on Nov. 25 in the same building.

“Real frustrating,” Collins said after missing 15 of 21 shots, including six of seven threes.

----

“It was just one of those days things were not working,” Collins said after collecting 25 points, eight assists and eight turnovers. “We took some bad shots the first half. We’ve got to do a better job with conference play coming up.”

----

KU’s other focal player, Sherron Collins, missed nine of 13 shots and had nine points on a night only Tyshawn Taylor (11 points) cracked double figures [. . . .] “We lacked concentration. We made sloppy passes,” said Collins, who missed two free throws with 1:48 left and KU up, 58-56, trying to hang on for dear life. “We didn’t play defense. No defense. There’s nothing else I can say. The turnovers would have had no effect if we played defense.”

---

Collins had a tough night, obviously, considering he missed 16 of 19 shots and nine of 10 threes.

“Going 3-for-19 he couldn’t throw it in the ocean. When you have your other players play so poorly we couldn’t even sub them ... we should not point to one player as far as poor play. I could point to a lot of different reasons we played poorly,” Self said.

----

Collins had a potential tie-breaking shot swatted by center Mamadou Diene (five blocks) with 1:51 left. Then, Collins shot an airball from three at :26, with KU down, 67-64.

“I had an open shot (three) to tie it up and missed it,” Collins said. “It got away from me the second I let it go. It slipped. I just lost it, didn’t make it.”

-----

Collins turns it over trying to throw a pass to Aldrich.

With the shot clock winding down, Lucas spins, gets Collins in the air, then swishes a short shot with a foul. Just a great individual effort there. He makes the free throw.

----------------------------

Look, the point is not that Sherron isn't a great player. He is. The point is that we lost one game last year that he was good in, and that was to the eventual national runner-up. And we lost it, in some part, because Sherron got wild.

Please don't misinterpret this post. It's not to attack Sherron. It's to point out how remarkably important he is. We lost just one game he was good in. And we all know we're better this year. If he can avoid the meltdown games, there's not one we should lose.

#973430 - 10/19/09 02:46 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
phineasgage Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: 10th and Illinois
shouldn't the best guard in america have a jump shot? otherwise he's just a bigger more athletic dogus balbay

#973431 - 10/19/09 02:54 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: phineasgage]
jkjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, KS
I'd like to see our players start keeping their mouths shut and wait to prove it on the court.

#973432 - 10/19/09 03:20 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: jkjhawk]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

He was asked a question, and what court can he prove it on right now?

#973433 - 10/19/09 03:29 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: hasbeen]
jkjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

The article made it seem like Collins was calling Parrish up to break his balls. That's different than Parrish calling Collins up to break his balls. I could be wrong. Maybe I misread it.

EDIT: Okay I misread it. Nevermind my comment. I'm wrong.

Edited by jkjhawk (10/19/09 03:30 PM)

#973434 - 10/19/09 03:31 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: jkjhawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Quote:

The article made it seem like Collins was calling Parrish up to break his balls. That's different than Parrish calling Collins up to break his balls. I could be wrong. Maybe I misread it.

EDIT: Okay I misread it. Nevermind my comment. I'm wrong.

Parrish was at Late Night and our practice the next day.

#973435 - 10/19/09 03:41 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
jkjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Okay I admit it... I've been more concerned with the mlb playoffs and our football team recently. Thanks for letting me be an ass. I'm rusty from a long offseason.

#973436 - 10/19/09 03:44 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: JFish26]
IdiotWind Offline
IdiotWhine

Quote:

We knew how our season would end last year, and it happened just as we expected.

Who is "we" and how did "we" know how our season would end last year? Are you insinuating Collins lost the game for us with "ill-advised shots" and "bullrush drives". I agree with most of your post - Collins is a loose cannon and nearly cost us the '08 NC, but "we" doesn't know anything the rest of us don't…..

#973437 - 10/19/09 03:47 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: IdiotWind]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

Who is "we" and how did "we" know how our season would end last year? Are you insinuating Collins lost the game for us with "ill-advised shots" and "bullrush drives". I agree with most of your post - Collins is a loose cannon and nearly cost us the '08 NC, but "we" doesn't know anything the rest of us don't…..

^^^ 1st Post

Nearly cost us the game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8CEP7bxNwM

I'd say he made the 2nd biggest play of the game. Many might argue it's the biggest.

#973438 - 10/19/09 03:50 PM Re: Bring em on says Sherron [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
Mario nearly cost us the game too.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview