Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#952735 - 09/25/09 08:50 AM The cost of non-con games
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Wow. I knew the BCS schools paid to bring in non-con opponents from the smaller conferences, but I never realized the paychecks were getting so large.

Now you see why Lew has to keep finding new ways to rake in the dough? It's costing us probably half a million or more for every cupcake we bring in

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1467658.html

“As the price started to go up, what we realized is that to the biggest schools out there, the ones with lots of tradition, it didn’t matter,” Waters said. “They had no problem paying $750,000 or more for a game. They just wrote the check. But the lower-level BCS teams, they couldn’t keep up.”

Also, Kstate apparently having trouble affording it these days, which was the main point of the article

#952736 - 09/25/09 09:07 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: Ryan2845]
feedback71 Offline
Baby Jay

Bill Snyder will need to go on a protein diet.

Amazing what they are paying out nowadays for those types of games.

#952737 - 09/25/09 09:09 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: Ryan2845]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Dallas, Texas
It's also getting harder for big schools to avoid home-and-home deals with smaller BCS schools. Most teams (including KU) just want to play one road game in the non-conference schedule.
The NCAA needs to limit the amount of money a non-con opponent can demand and require all BCS schools to play other BCS teams in the non-conference.

#952738 - 09/25/09 10:17 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: jayhawk1996]
jamboslice Offline
John Brown

Loc: Overland Park, KS
KSuck needs to see where they are in relation to other teams these days and realize they are going to have to be that team that gets paid to go on the road for a while until the can turn it around, if that ever happens.

#952739 - 09/25/09 10:23 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: jamboslice]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Has traveling to and playing in Manhattan ever been appealing?

#952740 - 09/25/09 10:36 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: jayhawk1996]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin, TX USA
Quote:

Has traveling to and playing in Manhattan ever been appealing?

If you're Northwest ldaho A&M I'm sure it is.

#952741 - 09/25/09 10:42 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: Rivethead]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Good point. The Sun Belt schools have moved away from playing all their non-con games on the road against BCS powers, but they need the money for their budgets.
North Texas went to Alabama last week for a beating and a paycheck. That's why caps on the amount you can pay for a non-con home game are needed. Or they could do two-for-one deals: the smaller program plays on the road twice but the bigger team also goes on the road once.
I'm just glad to see KU stick to non-con games with C-USA, ACC and MAC teams. Wouldn't mind adding a Big Ten or SEC school, though. I think the Sun Belt schools are more interested in the paycheck than a good game/series.

#952742 - 09/25/09 10:56 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: jayhawk1996]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

I don't think KU wants any part of a Big Ten series after how our last one (Northwestern) went.

Personally, I think this is one of the biggest wasted opportunities by the NCAA. Maybe I'm looking at it with mega-opportunistic glasses, but if scheduling could be centralized at the NCAA (rather than left up to 150+ ADs accross the country), we could have schedules that are equitable (both in financial terms and strength of opponent), exciting for the fans, and could create some very interesting match ups.

But then again, the NCAA tends to f up everything......

#952743 - 09/25/09 10:58 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: Rivethead]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Quote:

I don't think KU wants any part of a Big Ten series after how our last one (Northwestern) went.

True, but the quality of KU's program has improved a lot since the mid-90s.

Quote:

But then again, the NCAA tends to f up everything......

Amen to that. I think a ban on FBS teams scheduling FCS teams is a good place to start.

#952744 - 09/25/09 11:13 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: jayhawk1996]
IEtherTigers Offline
Lawrence Legend

Nothing wrong with how scheduling works now.

I've got 25 women with full sweaters and empty heads!

#952745 - 09/25/09 11:30 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: IEtherTigers]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Quote:

Nothing wrong with how scheduling works now.

The one where Florida pays Charleston Southern, Troy and Florida International in three of its four non-con games and still gets lauded as the best team in the country? I know the Gators play a tough SEC schedule, but their non-con slate should be better than that.

#952746 - 09/25/09 11:39 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: jamboslice]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

KSuck needs to see where they are in relation to other teams these days and realize they are going to have to be that team that gets paid to go on the road for a while until the can turn it around, if that ever happens.

KStUpid needs to hurry up and join the Missouri Valley Conference while they might still think the Grapes would be a good addition. Otherwise the kittens may end up in the Summit League.

#952747 - 09/25/09 11:51 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman has a great pitch for centralized scheduling: http://www.newsok.com/berry-tramel-a-pla...ead_story_title

And here's one from Florida on how the Gators don't want any part of a home-and-home series with the Big 12's teams: http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/f...ly_stray_from_t

Edited by jayhawk1996 (09/25/09 11:56 AM)

#952748 - 09/25/09 11:57 AM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: jayhawk1996]
max4 Offline
spacey

Loc: North Mexico
It's appealing for any school. How else are they going to pay for all those womens sports programs.

#952749 - 09/25/09 12:00 PM Re: The cost of non-con games [Re: jayhawk1996]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman has a great pitch for centralized scheduling: http://www.newsok.com/berry-tramel-a-pla...ead_story_title

And here's one from Florida on how the Gators don't want any part of a home-and-home series with the Big 12's teams: http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/f...ly_stray_from_t

Thanks for posting! Very timely and he does a better job of saying what I was trying to say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview