Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#952233 - 09/24/09 06:37 PM Davis Vs Reesing
JLGoldenEagle Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: MS
Just thought I'd see how much better your guy at QB is than ours. Looks like last year, Reesing was somewhat better than Davis, but not magnitudes. Reesings 3,888 yards passing plus 224 yards rushing gives him 4,112 yards. Davis' 3,128 yards passing and 508 yards rushing gives him a total of 3,636 yards. Not that big of a disparity. We passed 8% less than Kansas, maybe because our running game is so good. Reesing has a higher rating for last year than Davis, but so far this year Davis is ahead. I am not thinking Davis is as good as Reesing, don't get me wrong, but he is not that far behind him either. Davis can scramble some, though not as good as Reesing, but he can run (not getting out of trouble, just rushing) very well. If our OLine can keep your D at bay, and our D succeeds in getting Reesing somewhat contained, things could get interesting. You gotta understand, I want my guys to win, and I am trying to be unbiased, but I just can't bring myself to believe that we cannot win this thing. Sorry if you don't like that, but I am looking for a victory Saturday and the whole key in my view will be what happens with Reesing. He's good, but how much of that is flashy eye candy ? His numbers are better, but not by that much.

TODD REESING STATS Passing Rushing
Statistics...Att...Comp...Pct....Yds......TD...Int...Rating.......Att....Yds..Avg..TD
2009.........102...66........64.7...806.......6.....1....148.5.........24.....115..4.8....2
2008.........495...329......66.5..3,888...32....13..148.5........126.....224.1.8...4

AUSTIN DAVIS STATS Passing Rushing
Statistics...Att...Comp...Pct....Yds......TD...Int...Rating.......Att....Yds..Avg..TD
2009.........82.....56.......68.3....600........5....0....149.9.........31.....32....1.0....1
2008.........454...261.....57.5...3,128....23...8....128.6.........155..508..3.3....9

#952234 - 09/24/09 06:38 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: JLGoldenEagle]
BetaHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

lol

#952235 - 09/24/09 06:42 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: JLGoldenEagle]
tigerman81 Offline
moonshine muddled but still conscious

The question is which one would you rather have on your team?

Stats are only as meaningful as the consequences and results that come from them.

#952236 - 09/24/09 06:45 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: JLGoldenEagle]
mizzouisbad Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Just thought I'd see how much better your guy at QB is than ours. Looks like last year, Reesing was somewhat better than Davis, but not magnitudes. Reesings 3,888 yards passing plus 224 yards rushing gives him 4,112 yards. Davis' 3,128 yards passing and 508 yards rushing gives him a total of 3,636 yards. Not that big of a disparity. We passed 8% less than Kansas, maybe because our running game is so good. Reesing has a higher rating for last year than Davis, but so far this year Davis is ahead. I am not thinking Davis is as good as Reesing, don't get me wrong, but he is not that far behind him either. Davis can scramble some, though not as good as Reesing, but he can run (not getting out of trouble, just rushing) very well. If our OLine can keep your D at bay, and our D succeeds in getting Reesing somewhat contained, things could get interesting. You gotta understand, I want my guys to win, and I am trying to be unbiased, but I just can't bring myself to believe that we cannot win this thing. Sorry if you don't like that, but I am looking for a victory Saturday and the whole key in my view will be what happens with Reesing. He's good, but how much of that is flashy eye candy ? His numbers are better, but not by that much.

TODD REESING STATS Passing Rushing
2009.........102...66........64.7...806.......6.....1....148.5.........24.....115..4.8....2
2008.........495...329......66.5..3,888...32....13..148.5........126.....224.1.8...4

AUSTIN DAVIS STATS Passing Rushing
2009.........82.....56.......68.3....600........5....0....149.9.........31.....32....1.0....1
2008.........454...261.....57.5...3,128....23...8....128.6.........155..508..3.3....9

What makes Reesing great isn't his passing ability. It's not his running ability. Those things by themselves are not much better than other QBs. What makes Reesing great is that he can put up the same #s against good teams as he does against the bad teams. What REALLY makes him Great though is his ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat. He simply creates things that aren't there. His #s suffer a bit because he takes chances that other QBs don't, and because he often runs around or scrambles too long. Where other QBs will play it conservative, he'll dodge between 3 defenders and throw 50 yards down the field. So ya, in my opinion, Davis isn't anywhere in the same ball park as Reesing.

On the flip side though, there's no reason why you shouldn't hope for a W. USM is a good team and they are capable of pulling off the upset.

Edited by mizzouisbad (09/24/09 06:47 PM)

#952237 - 09/24/09 06:48 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: mizzouisbad]
hawkinTexas Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Houston, TX
Without looking at who each team played last year, I wonder whether the level of competition that KU faced was somewhat tougher than what USM faced.

#952238 - 09/24/09 07:18 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: hawkinTexas]
stevemize Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: World Golf Village, FL
I can only imagine what Reesing's stats would look like if he was playing against CUSA athletes on a weekly basis.

#952239 - 09/24/09 07:21 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: stevemize]
TWestJayhawker Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Playing Golf
I think Davis is the better player, pausenot.

#952240 - 09/24/09 08:01 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: TWestJayhawker]
TheMiracles Offline
Lawrence Legend

JL-

I think you guys have a good team and will put up a good game against us but to compare stats like that is silly. The level of competition was extremely different.

#952241 - 09/24/09 08:47 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: TheMiracles]
JLGoldenEagle Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: MS
Quote:

JL-

I think you guys have a good team and will put up a good game against us but to compare stats like that is silly. The level of competition was extremely different.

Hey, I gave your guy kudos...we know he is the best...ya gotta understand that I am looking at where we can win. The key to this game, and I think everyone knows it, is Reesing...period. I'll even say this, swap QB's with us, and we are favored, and win. Okay? Are you happy ? That is why I think we can take you. If Reesing is nullified, comparison's of our teams is a wash. With us having the greatest desire. My Opinion!

I am watching the #4 Ole Miss Rebels losing to currently unranked South Carolina. Guess what...South Carolina is leading and don't look that bad. It may turn out differently, but we'll see. Now if an unranked South Carolina can beat #4 Ole Miss (if that happens), then an unranked Southern Miss can beat #20 Kansas. That's why the games are played. I hope this dismissal of Southern Miss as a "decent, good team" is held by your ball club and coach. We really aren't after a pat on the head..."good boy"..we want to win. BAD! It's time we got back to our style in the 90's.

#952242 - 09/24/09 08:58 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: JLGoldenEagle]
Jphog Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
Of course South Carolina is at home. You are not.

Could you win? Sure. However, if you look at our record at home over the past few years your odds are not very good.

#952243 - 09/24/09 09:00 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: JLGoldenEagle]
hawkinTexas Offline
Phog Fanatic

Most people are admitting that USM can win this game. We believe that USM is talented and has enough talent to win this game if the Jayhawks are not prepared. We also believe that KU is better and should win this game if they have the right mindset and are prepared.

I hope South Carolina does win this game against Ole Miss, but if they do, it doesn't necessarily mean that every ranked team can be beaten by South Carolina, it might just mean that Ole Miss was terribly overrated.

I also hope that USM plays a very good game against KU, but that KU wins by a couple of touchdowns. I then hope that USM goes on to win the rest of their games easily.

#952244 - 09/24/09 09:06 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: JLGoldenEagle]
kswanzy Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: ms
Reesing is very good....no doubt. I just wonder what you guys are gong to do next year when hes not there. We will lose our best player in Damion Fletcher but everyone knows within the program that we will be even better. You know why? Becuase we have a program(15 consecuitve winning seasons behind Fla, V. Tech and Flas St), not a 4year wonder under Reesing.

Just be careful what you wish for as your much weaker team and our much better team will be playing in Hattiesburg next year! The statement will be made 38 hours!

Edited by kswanzy (09/24/09 09:10 PM)

#952245 - 09/24/09 09:16 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: kswanzy]
hawkinTexas Offline
Phog Fanatic

Well, we were talking about this year and not next year. However, since you bring up next year, we should have Kale Pick at QB. You may see him on Saturday late in the game. He is being said to have a fantastic arm and has shown great running ability so far. We have some good young receivers that you should see on Saturday as well. Briscoe is expected to go to the NFL next year, but he is only a junior and could be with us next year too.

Who will be better next year? I don't have an educated answer for that question. Who is better this year? I say KU, but I am a Kansas homer, so take that FWIW.

#952246 - 09/24/09 09:17 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: kswanzy]
Jphog Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
Our schedule will be a lot weaker next year in conference play so that will help some. Obviously it's not easy to replace Reesing, but Pick has looked pretty good so far. We haven't seen him throw the ball really, but he's got some running ability for sure. Combine that with Opurum who has looked impressive for a freshman (you'll probably see a lot of him Saturday with Sharp's injury) and we might be a run heavy and maybe option oriented team next season.

Keep in mind Reesing hasn't been the sole reason for our success, but he is obviously great and it has been really beneficial to have a stable QB situation which was lacking previously in the Mangino era. Our recruiting has started to look a lot better so it should be fun to see it develop.

#952247 - 09/24/09 09:39 PM Re: Davis Vs Reesing [Re: JLGoldenEagle]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

Just thought I'd see how much better your guy at QB is than ours.

Miles. Miles and miles and miles.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview