Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#951811 - 09/24/09 03:54 PM Re: If you blitz early and often.... [Re: Kman_blue]
somiss87 Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

Actually, Southern Miss has 743 yards on 143 carries for 5.20 yards per carry. KU on the other hand has 735 yards on 120 carries for 6.13 yards per carry.

I did my calculations by only considering only the running backs and got 7.14 yards/carry for USM. Using the same logic KU averages 5.3 yards/carry. FWIW

#951812 - 09/24/09 03:54 PM Watching a couple of Texas Tech.... [Re: somiss87]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
games over 5 years ain't the whole picture. Texas Tech probably has about the same talent as KU. It has less talent than Bama/Ole Miss. If you throw a quality D-line w/ alot of speed at Tech and don't have to blitz, you will win. Once you start blitzing to put pressure on the Tech QB (or Reesing for that matter), these spread QBs will find the mismatches and make you pay.

If I were guessing, I'd say KU has about the same talent as USM. Therefore, you will not beat KU's Oline w/ a 4 man rush. So you have two choices: (1)blitz and see if Reesing finds the mismatches, (2)drop 8, sit in a zone and keep everything in front of you and make KU run the ball. Now, Reesing has won 23 games in the last 2 years 'cause coaches keep thinking that can blitz him and get him off his timing. KU has not won 23 games 'cause Jake Sharp beat the hell outta em on the ground.

I'd simply pick the Jake Sharp option if I were USM.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#951813 - 09/24/09 04:06 PM Re: Watching a couple of Texas Tech.... [Re: John_Brown]
somiss87 Offline
Baby Jay

Good defenses can blitz one extra player and get pressure on the QB. If you are sending 8 every time, the offense will scorch you with dumpoffs. But if you use some creativity and find the weakness in the offensive line each play, you can effectively send that one extra guy. Remember, blitzing isn't always about sacking the Qb. Its more about busting through the line and making the Qb adjust which causes him to take his eyes off the receivers and secondary. If you can get his attention on a play, he will lose sight of the play.

#951814 - 09/24/09 04:09 PM Re: Watching a couple of Texas Tech.... [Re: somiss87]
JayhawkJules Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Johnson County!
Quote:

Remember, blitzing isn't always about sacking the Qb. Its more about busting through the line and making the Qb adjust which causes him to take his eyes off the receivers and secondary. If you can get his attention on a play, he will lose sight of the play.

Oh, this is going to be fun on Saturday! Have you watched KU play in the last couple of years? Reesing is just about as good as it gets.

#951815 - 09/24/09 04:12 PM Re: Watching a couple of Texas Tech.... [Re: JayhawkJules]
somiss87 Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

Quote:

Remember, blitzing isn't always about sacking the Qb. Its more about busting through the line and making the Qb adjust which causes him to take his eyes off the receivers and secondary. If you can get his attention on a play, he will lose sight of the play.

Oh, this is going to be fun on Saturday! Have you watched KU play in the last couple of years? Reesing is just about as good as it gets.

I've already said that we probably won't be effective against Reesing, although we've been pretty good at getting pressure this year. But sitting back and let him complete uncontested passes is not a viable option either.

#951816 - 09/24/09 04:29 PM Re: Watching a couple of Texas Tech.... [Re: somiss87]
KMan_24 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Ole Miss did NOT shut down Texas Tech. They gave up 34 points (the most they gave up all year) and they gave up 364 yards passing. And they had a month to prepare for it on top of that. If an SEC defense had to face that each and every week with every offense they faced, their pass defense would give up an average of over 300 yards a game. And no one would be talking about how good their defense looked.

But they don't worry about that. In the SEC, all the coaches are old men who play football like it is 1950. They don't believe in the forward pass. They don't believe in no huddle. They equate spread formation to gimmick football. They may be right, but the gimmicky spread offenses are hardly ever boring. The OCs in the SEC do nothing to challenge the minds of DCs. They just line it up and try to run over the other team while burning up the clock.

#951817 - 09/24/09 04:31 PM Re: Watching a couple of Texas Tech.... [Re: somiss87]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
If you look at your primary RB he has 344 yards on 66 carries for 5.21 yards per carry. Your #2 RB has 11 carries for 168 yards for a ridiculous 15.27 yards per carry but that mostly all came off a 3 carries for 101 yards performance against UVA. What the heck happened there? They just forget to tackle him on a couple of runs or something? Anyways, your QB has 31(over 1/5 of your total carries) rushes for 32 yards for 1.03 yards per carry. Sure a lot of that is sacks, but that's still not good. That gives your 3 primary ball carriers 108 rushes for 544 yards for 5.04 yards per rush.

Our QB, Todd Reesing, has 24 rushes(exactly 1/5 of our carries) for 115 yards for 4.79 yards per rush. Our primary RB, Jake Sharp, has 42 carries for 240 yards for 5.71 yards per rush. Our #2 RB, Toben Opurum, has 41 carries for 211 yards for 5.15 yards per carry. That gives our 3 primary ball carriers 107 rushes for 566 yards for 5.29 yards per rush. Our wild card is our very quick and fast backup QB who has 6 rushes for 152 yards for an insane 25.33 yards per carry.

#951818 - 09/24/09 04:32 PM Re: Watching a couple of Texas Tech.... [Re: KMan_24]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Quote:

. In the SEC, all the coaches are old men who play football like it is 1950. They don't believe in the forward pass.

Have you seen Arkansas under Patrino? They can't play defense, but they have the best passer in college football.
If you missed their show last week, be sure to catch it again on Saturday at Bama on CBS.

#951819 - 09/24/09 04:36 PM Re: Watching a couple of Texas Tech.... [Re: jayhawk1996]
stevemize Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: World Golf Village, FL
They played Georgia last week. UGA sucks this year. Hell South Carolina looked good against them.

#951820 - 09/24/09 05:55 PM Re: Watching a couple of Texas Tech.... [Re: jayhawk1996]
theno1kufan Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Quote:

Quote:

. In the SEC, all the coaches are old men who play football like it is 1950. They don't believe in the forward pass.

Have you seen Arkansas under Patrino? They can't play defense, but they have the best passer in college football.
If you missed their show last week, be sure to catch it again on Saturday at Bama on CBS.

uh florida anyone?

#951821 - 09/24/09 08:12 PM Re: Watching a couple of Texas Tech.... [Re: theno1kufan]
rockymtnjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Colorado
I agree with the sentiment that Southern Miss will hang around for a half, but in the end, they will not be able to keep up.

Unless.....KU has a turnover problem. The Jayhawks have done a decent job of taking care of the ball and hopefully, will continue to do so.

#951822 - 09/24/09 09:20 PM Re: If you blitz early and often.... [Re: Kman_blue]
kswanzy Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: ms
I think we seen that Oklahoma agaisnt Fla's defense last year as well, but thats beside the point.

After watching the Duke game and a few games last year, I think we stack up the following.

QB-Kan
RB-USM
WR-Kansas(youre right we have one true stud, but KU has better starting depth
TE-Push(havnet seen enough)
Oline-KU but not by much(Our starting 5 are very solid but not much depth
Dline-KU
LB-USM(This is one of our stregnths year in and year out.)
DB-(KU)We have a veteran group but was dissapointed against UVA.
KKU(I'll take anyones kicker over ours.)

#951823 - 09/24/09 09:24 PM Re: If you blitz early and often.... [Re: kswanzy]
kswanzy Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: ms

"I agree with the sentiment that Southern Miss will hang around for a half, but in the end, they will not be able to keep up. "

Tell me whats your reasoning for this. I am curious to know. Please dont say depth! If you say that, then you havent done your homework.

#951824 - 09/24/09 09:34 PM Re: If you blitz early and often.... [Re: kswanzy]
hawkinTexas Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Houston, TX
It's funny that you say you'll take anyone's kicker over yours. Most people here are pretty unhappy with our kicker. He has very little range and has had accuracy problems the last couple weeks within his limited range.

#951825 - 09/24/09 09:37 PM Re: If you blitz early and often.... [Re: hawkinTexas]
Jphog Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
Now now...he may miss a few FGs, but I challenge you to find another kicker that can tackle like him!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Preview