Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#951796 - 09/24/09 01:00 PM KU Talent?
kswanzy Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: ms
How would you guys say this KU team stacks up not only with talent, but as a whole over the past 3-4 seasons.....minus Reesing?

As a Southern Miss fan, this is our most talented team since the 1999 season in which we were ranked 13th in the nation. But we are very young. That team had 7 starters that were drafted to the NFL in 2000 and 2001. THis team has that kind of talent....most of it being underclassman. With that being said, not enough of that talent is on the Dline, which makes me nervous to watch Reesing if given too much time. Our dline is very fast and have had some surprising success at getting after the qb, but tend to over pursue...and with Reesing, that spells TROUBLE.

In my opinion, if we win the turnover battle(which we havnet lately), are able to run the ball well( like we have) and get some pressure on Reesing(BUT KEEP HIM IN THE POCKET), we will have a good chance. Also, im hoping Deandre Brown(who was a 5 star recruit, and 3rd ranked wr prospect in 2008 behind only Julio Jones,and AJ Green) gets back to form as we will need him!!! He led the nation last year as a freshman with 1117 yards and 12 tds. However, since that injury he has added 15 lbs of muscle (6'6"243lbs) and has trouble gettng into game shape. For those that dont know, he broke his leg in a gruesome injury in the New Orleans Bowl last year. If you guys havent seen the injury....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGmT2jeVzFs&feature=PlayList&p=2FA06FB603BF5B1A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=23

Good Luck and it has been fun talking a little trash this week.

Edited by kswanzy (09/24/09 01:06 PM)

#951797 - 09/24/09 01:03 PM Re: KU Talent? [Re: kswanzy]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

Loc: Dallas
You know the saying "you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him"? Well, you can't contain Reesing either. As long as he isn't making dumb mistakes throwing the ball where he shouldn't, Reesing can and will light up just about every opposing defense.

USM is in a pickle. Do you rely on your stout run D and let KU pass or do you drop everyone into coverage and hope your d-line alone can stop the KU rushing attack?

Either way, KU creates a huge matchup problem with USM. Expect both teams to trade punches early, but KU will simply wear this USM team out IMO.

You will WANT to rely on your RB, but after you fall behind a score or two, can your young QB get the job done? I dont think so.

#951798 - 09/24/09 01:06 PM Re: KU Talent? [Re: kswanzy]
mdfraz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
The fact that Jake Sharp hardly played the other day and Toben Opurum, true freshman, stepped in and the game plan didn't change a bit shows the depth that we are starting to build. Same thing when Dez Briscoe sat out the first game; we relied more on Jonathan Wilson and true frosh Bradley McDougald. Kale Pick has seen a lot of mop up duty, so he's getting game reps and has looked pretty good, although he hasn't thrown much at all.

On defense, we are seeing a lot of young talent getting playing time, and we are especially rotating a lot of guys through on the D line and LB spots. It would be nice to have the "go to" guys on defense, but having so many guys rotate through shows me two things: 1) we have a lot of depth so that if one guy goes down for some reason, someone with decent experience/talent can step right in and 2) we shouldn't have a lot of problems with fatigue since so many guys are getting snaps.

We have had talented players come through in the past 5-10 years, but we haven't had the talent backing them up that we are seeing now.

You are right that if you can pressure Reesing, you may be in decent shape. Problem is, as you and several of your friends have noted, getting pressure on Todd, as tough as it is, can actually invite disaster sometimes. Very few teams have been able to rattle or hold Todd down on a regular basis.

Offenses should be on display Saturday. Let's hope for a good game and a Jayhawk victory.

#951799 - 09/24/09 01:08 PM Re: KU Talent? [Re: sdoyel]
kswanzy Offline
Junior Jayhawk

I expect us to blitz early and often and we better get to him immediately....but that leaves somevery talented wr's basically 1 on 1. Our offense better be on top of its game!

#951800 - 09/24/09 01:11 PM Re: KU Talent? [Re: kswanzy]
JayhawkJules Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Johnson County!
USM can blitz Todd all they want, but they also have to TACKLE him. Therein lies the problem. The kid is crafty!

#951801 - 09/24/09 01:11 PM Re: KU Talent? [Re: kswanzy]
mdfraz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
Yeah as sdoyel says, teams facing KU are in a quandary. We aren't an explosive running team, especially if Sharp doesn't play (yes, I know about the first two games......), but we are solid enough that if you drop a bunch of people to stop the passing game, we will run on you. In fact, that's what happened the first couple games and the result was 250+ rushing yards.

If you pressure Todd, you are right, you better get him right away, b/c if you don't, even if your guys weren't one on one with our receivers (which they will be in most blitzes), Todd scrambling is when he is most dangerous. If he avoids the initial rush, look out.

#951802 - 09/24/09 01:31 PM Re: KU Talent? [Re: mdfraz]
max4 Offline
spacey

Loc: North Mexico
You have to wonder about the USM defense when they give up to 34 to a Virginia team that scored 14 vs William and Mary.
I think offensively USM will do some nice things but their defense better get better in a hurry or it could be a long day for them.
This could be a pretty high scoring affair

#951803 - 09/24/09 01:40 PM Re: KU Talent? [Re: mdfraz]
jhawk0097 Offline
Baby Jay

Definitely more physically talented now compared to 4 years ago w/ a lot of young, unproven guys. Time will tell if they're actually good football players. KU isn't going away any time soon.

#951804 - 09/24/09 01:42 PM Re: KU Talent? [Re: max4]
kswanzy Offline
Junior Jayhawk

We did give up 34 to Virginia but our coaches prepared to stop the spread in which theyve used the first 2 games. To everyones surprise they came in and ran their old offense. With that being said, we gave up 27 in the 1st half, and then came back in the second half and shut them down to only 7 points in the 2nd half. Our coaches are very good at 2nd half adjustments.

As bad as we played in this game, it was very good to see us come back from34-17 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

The good thing for us, is that your offense is that good where there is no worry about the KU offense being tweaked. However, if we get behind Kansas 17 points, it will be an extremely long day!

#951805 - 09/24/09 02:56 PM If you blitz early and often.... [Re: kswanzy]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
KU will score early and often. Blitzing against Reesing w/ Meier/Briscoe is a disaster. Best bet for USM is to drop into a zone, keep everything in front of you and make Sharp earn it.

On USM's offense, they'll see the most physical D-line they'll see this year. KU is thin at LBer and our D-backs have spent the week fighting w/ the MBB team. But we're a solid two deep w/ two potential Big 12 stars in Onyegebule and Laptad. KU has also been stunting outta a four man front w/ great success so USM's O-line better maintain gaps or someone will get hurt.
Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#951806 - 09/24/09 03:01 PM Re: If you blitz early and often.... [Re: John_Brown]
somiss87 Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

KU will score early and often. Blitzing against Reesing w/ Meier/Briscoe is a disaster. Best bet for USM is to drop into a zone, keep everything in front of you and make Sharp earn it.

No offense, but this philosophy is why the B12 sucks at defense.

#951807 - 09/24/09 03:12 PM Re: If you blitz early and often.... [Re: somiss87]
KMan_24 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Wrong! The Big XII struggles to contain offenses because this conference has the BEST QBs in the entire country. It has the best playmakers, No huddle spreads. You can't stop Big XII offenses cold turkey. Your best bet is to keep everything in front of you, aka bend but don't break. The good teams in the conference have had no trouble shutting teams down in this early season, just like last season.

You know, defensive numbers always look better when the old men coaching in the south sit on the ball the whole game.
Tell me, has USM been keeping it vanilla or is there another reason why they have run the ball 60 more times than they have passed?

#951808 - 09/24/09 03:13 PM Well, go ahead and try. [Re: somiss87]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
You're about to learn why the Big 12 sucks on defense. Go one-on-one on Briscoe and you're asking for it.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#951809 - 09/24/09 03:18 PM Re: If you blitz early and often.... [Re: KMan_24]
somiss87 Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

Wrong! The Big XII struggles to contain offenses because this conference has the BEST QBs in the entire country. It has the best playmakers, No huddle spreads. You can't stop Big XII offenses cold turkey. Your best bet is to keep everything in front of you, aka bend but don't break. The good teams in the conference have had no trouble shutting teams down in this early season, just like last season.

You know, defensive numbers always look better when the old men coaching in the south sit on the ball the whole game.
Tell me, has USM been keeping it vanilla or is there another reason why they have run the ball 60 more times than they have passed?

I have watched the B12 get shut down by good defenses before. Last year's Cotton Bowl was a good example. Ole Miss brought the pressure and golden boy Harrell couldn't do anything. Same thing happened when Bama played TT a few years back. If you play solid man to man and get to the quarterback quickly, he won't hurt you as bad as he would if you just let him make completions and get a rhythm going. Playing Qb is all about rhythm. Break it and you break him.

Now that has nothing to do with the fact that we probably won't be able to get to Reesing good enough.

And we run the ball more than we pass because we average about 7 yards/carry.

#951810 - 09/24/09 03:39 PM Re: If you blitz early and often.... [Re: somiss87]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Actually, Southern Miss has 743 yards on 143 carries for 5.20 yards per carry. KU on the other hand has 735 yards on 120 carries for 6.13 yards per carry.

As far as talent. I'd say KU has more talent at QB, WR(you've got one really good one, but we've got 2 really good ones and we have 3 other very talented guys who I think are better than your next 3 in line), TE(you all might have more proven depth), C, OG(in C and OG, you guys might have more experienced depth, but I think we have more talented depth), DE, S(we've got a potential All-American and returning 2008 1st team All-Big 12 one), and CB(lots of talented depth, but some youth for us and this may be close talent wise) than Southern Miss. OT, DT, and LB, I just don't know enough about at Southern Miss. to make a comparison and at RB we've got as good or better talent on the 2 deep(in Big 12 play our starter last year was #3 overall in the Big 12 and our true freshman is really good racking up 275 yards and 5 TDs as the #2 RB so far), but you've got guys with more experience(overall) and 1 guy who has some impressive numbers so this too may be very close. Not dogging on your talent, because like I said before I think it's good, but I just think KU has more overall and if you believe recruiting class rankings they show KU's incoming recruits being more talented over the past 5 years as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview