Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#948313 - 09/21/09 10:23 AM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
If Sharp is actually out (remember, for all we know he's equally likely to have a blister as he is a sprain), I'm comfortable with Opurum getting the lion's share of RB touches and opening up the passing game to compensate. Put differently, I'd rather give Toben however many touches Mangino's comfortable with and send the rest to the passing game. Rather not be relying on Lewis for anything right now.

#948314 - 09/21/09 10:33 AM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin, TX USA
Quote:

I've also wondered what he would look like as a blocking Tight End since Biere has been hobbled.

Bradley Dedeaux is a fine blocking TE.

And I don't think Biere has been "hobbled". According to Coach Mangino, he had the flu.

#948315 - 09/21/09 11:20 AM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: Rivethead]
kuhwks Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Topeka, KS
I think Sharp only playing two series was "holding him out" against Duke to prepare for a much anticipated showdown with S. Miss. I expect him to take a full load this weekend until KU is up more than 14pts. The bye week gives him two weeks rest till ISU. I think he could have played the whole game had it been necessary this past week.

#948316 - 09/21/09 11:20 AM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: Rivethead]
mdfraz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
Jake apparently has some sort of lower leg injury, calf or ankle maybe. I think we'd be better off relying on Opurum, and possibly Rell here and there if necessary, and the passing game rather than try to rush Jake back. With the bye week coming up, it's basically three weeks of rest, which hopefully cures whatever is ailing him. Take a long view of the season here; rely on Toben and Todd's arm this week.

#948317 - 09/21/09 11:23 AM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: mdfraz]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
Agree let Jake get 100% healthy especially since TO has done such a great job stepping in. No need to hurry Jake back. RB slot looks very bright.

#948318 - 09/21/09 11:30 AM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: jayhwk01]
ManhattanHawk7 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Castle Rock
If in doubt, sit him out. We need Sharp against the B12 south, if we stand any chance of stealing one of those games. Or by miracles of miracles going 2-1.

AQ would be the emergency option.

#948319 - 09/21/09 11:31 AM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: ManhattanHawk7]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

Loc: Dallas
This is why benching Sharp and relying on a Frosh worries me:

"Scouting The Defense: The Golden Eagles are seventh in the nation in rushing defense (38.5 yards per game) and ninth in total defense (182.5) and they lead C-USA in scoring defense (9.5 points per game. Opponents have tallied a combined 21 first downs and have reached the red zone just four times in eight quarters."

#948320 - 09/21/09 11:31 AM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: ManhattanHawk7]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

"Scouting The Defense: The Golden Eagles are seventh in the nation in rushing defense (38.5 yards per game) and ninth in total defense (182.5) and they lead C-USA in scoring defense (9.5 points per game. Opponents have tallied a combined 21 first downs and have reached the red zone just four times in eight quarters."

#948321 - 09/21/09 11:41 AM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: sdoyel]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

Loc: TJ's Fanny Pack
Quote:

So. Miss has played UCF, Virginia, and Alcorn St. Alcorn St. is a FCS school. UCF ranks 95th in rush offense, 116th in total offense, and 83rd in scoring offense. UVa is 107th, 108th, and 97th in the same categories.

KU is 14th in rush offense, 3rd in total offense, and 11th in scoring.

#948322 - 09/21/09 11:46 AM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: sdoyel]
ManhattanHawk7 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Castle Rock
No doubt that relying on a freshman to carry the load against a tough run defense brings on some risk. I'm saying lets spread them out and give them a healthy dose of Reesing slinging the ball around. The proverbial shots to the body to loosen their run stop.

Toben needs to keep working on his pad level, he's going to get chopped in half if he runs upright. Nows to the time to learn that.

If Sharp is out against OU or TX I worry TO might be exposed, not so much So. Miss.

#948323 - 09/21/09 11:49 AM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: oreadical]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

USM hasn't played a team with pulse as far as rushing offense this year. That changes on Saturday.

#948324 - 09/21/09 12:36 PM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: oreadical]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

Quote:

Quote:

So. Miss has played UCF, Virginia, and Alcorn St. Alcorn St. is a FCS school. UCF ranks 95th in rush offense, 116th in total offense, and 83rd in scoring offense. UVa is 107th, 108th, and 97th in the same categories.

KU is 14th in rush offense, 3rd in total offense, and 11th in scoring.

It's not like our offense has faced a good defense yet either....

#948325 - 09/21/09 01:49 PM Re: Sharp's injury [Re: sdoyel]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

It's not like our offense has faced a good defense yet either....

Nope. They haven't. But we know what they're capable of. This is substantially the same offense as last year, only behind a better line, with better running backs, and a new star on the rise at the WR spot.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview