Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#948181 - 09/21/09 02:35 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: Kman_blue]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Briscoe's ability to leap, stretch, catch a pass, then gain yards after the catch is both underrated and amazing.

#948182 - 09/21/09 02:35 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: Kman_blue]
WaHawk04 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Reesing - B-
Briscoe - A
Meier - B-

It's nice to know that two of our primary offensive weapons can have a few 'off' days and we are still 3-0. A fairly dominant 3-0.

#948183 - 09/21/09 04:03 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: LisaT]
HawkRawker Offline
Eunuch

Loc: Jayhawk Nation
Reesing was not playing well at during the Duke game, and I would argue that Kale Pick who is averaging like 30 yards a carry and 40 yards per game would be a better quarterback. Maybe not in experience or decision making, but talentwise he will be better than Reesing. Todd has been missing alot of open recievers in the Duke game, and he doesn't hit his back out of the backfield as much as he should(ussually wide open for 1st down or more). He is looking too much to go downfield with Meier or Briscoe. I'm afraid that will eventually come to haunt us. He has been throwing behind his reciever alot and did so with Wilson and Briscoe which otherwise would have been wide open TD passes. He needs to improve if we want to beat Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Nebraska. I'm not saying he is a bad quarterback or even average, but he can be much better.

#948184 - 09/21/09 04:10 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: HawkRawker]
HawkRawker Offline
Eunuch

Loc: Jayhawk Nation
Briscoe is a beast there is nothing he hasn't done yet. Meier has been given the ball as much but that's OK because we have Wilson who I consider a better reciever(maybe not a better player) and McDougald who has speed. Although I do think Kerry showed great speed catching that guy on the blocked PAT.

#948185 - 09/21/09 05:21 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: HawkRawker]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I think Reesing is being asked to stay in the pocket too much. It's not his game, and intereferes with his Tarkingtonesque ability to break a defense down and create unscripted plays downfield, which is what he's made his living doing. It will change once competition steps up (probably this weekend), and he'll have to freelance and create his own stuff.

Meier is a victim of keeping Reesing in the pocket. He's breaking off routes, and trying to create, but Reesing is still hanging in the pocket and looking for receivers where they're "scripted" to be, not where they've improvised because Reesing is scrambling.

Briscoe is looking like Briscoe, only with some drops. Wilson is the one I'm a little worried about, as he is due for a breakout year, but is not catching balls that are hitting him in the hands. I'm sure it will get corrected, but hope it is soon!

One other area that I like after watching the past two games, Duke one right now on DVR, is our OLine. They're blowing open some holes, and protecting Reesing well considering how many of them are new. They'll mature, and I think we'll be fine in this area. The snaps from center are dramatically better now than last week as well. We'll chalk that up to the flu.

RCJHKU!

#948186 - 09/21/09 05:57 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: KUHawkhead]
Phogman Offline
Phog Fanatic

Quote:

I think Reesing is being asked to stay in the pocket too much. It's not his game, and intereferes with his Tarkingtonesque ability to break a defense down and create unscripted plays downfield, which is what he's made his living doing. It will change once competition steps up (probably this weekend), and he'll have to freelance and create his own stuff.

Meier is a victim of keeping Reesing in the pocket. He's breaking off routes, and trying to create, but Reesing is still hanging in the pocket and looking for receivers where they're "scripted" to be, not where they've improvised because Reesing is scrambling.

Briscoe is looking like Briscoe, only with some drops. Wilson is the one I'm a little worried about, as he is due for a breakout year, but is not catching balls that are hitting him in the hands. I'm sure it will get corrected, but hope it is soon!

One other area that I like after watching the past two games, Duke one right now on DVR, is our OLine. They're blowing open some holes, and protecting Reesing well considering how many of them are new. They'll mature, and I think we'll be fine in this area. The snaps from center are dramatically better now than last week as well. We'll chalk that up to the flu.

RCJHKU!

I think it's because of the competition. There really wasn't any question KU would come in and win these 3 games. I don't think Mangino would have a problem with Reesing doing whatever he had to do to win games vs OU, Texas, Nebraska, etc. But he probably wants him to have some gas in the tank towards the end of the year.

#948187 - 09/21/09 06:32 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: Phogman]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
That is definately possible! I trust Mangro and will never second guess him.

RCJHKU!

#948188 - 09/21/09 07:04 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: KUHawkhead]
mdfraz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
I don't disagree that Kerry made a great sliding/diving catch for the TD the other day. I just haven't seen him being the game changing playmaker he was last year. Again, that may just be as much a matter of McDougald taking a couple balls that may have gone Kerry's way, or the fact that we are running A LOT more than we did at this point (or even later in the season) last year. A "B" is not bad at all; it's just that we haven't seen the Meier that caught 100 balls last year.

Briscoe's two catches, from what I could see way back in row 52, were pretty impressive. He went up and grabbed the ball out of the air and out away from the defender. It sounds simple, but a lot of receivers don't attack the ball like that. Dez does. Just another reason I'm not that worried if he doesn't run a 4.4 40. He has dropped a ball or two, to be sure, but I'm thinking the drops will be a thing of the past over the next couple games. I can only imagine what Mangino has the guys doing to keep them from blowing easy catches like that.

#948189 - 09/21/09 07:14 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: mdfraz]
rockymtnjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Colorado
Kerry hasn't been making all the clutch 3rd down catches that seemed to be automatic last year. That may still come as defenders come to fear Wilson and McDougald. For that to happen, Wilson needs to make that open field catch and score. McDougald needs to break a tackle and get some yards after the catch.

It will come. It's all the small things. An extra second of protection, a better throw, a better catch...it will come.

#948190 - 09/21/09 07:55 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: rockymtnjhawk]
oldalum Offline
Lawrence Legend

The Reesing-Meier combination has become pretty well known to other teams. Meier isn't able to get free all the time like he used to be able to. Maybe that's part of it.

#948191 - 09/21/09 07:56 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: oldalum]
rockymtnjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Colorado
For sure that is part of it. That's why the others need to make them pay.

#948192 - 09/21/09 08:37 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: LisaT]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita, KS
Reesing: A -
Meier: A
Briscoe: A

Reesing is either being told to stay in the pocket or he's limited due to something like an injury, but he's lost that escape factor here recently and that is when he is most dangerous.

Meier made an outstanding catch in the first half of last week's game. He's just as good as before.

Briscoe is still the man. UTEP was his best performance to date.

I'd throw Sharp up there a an A. He's really stepped up his game. Assuming he gets back to 100% soon, he's on pace to really have a breakout senior campaign.

#948193 - 09/21/09 08:56 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: namohcan_99]
mdfraz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
Reesing hasn't lost the escape factor. Perhaps he's lost the scramble and gain a bunch of yards with his feet factor, but he's been pressured numerous times and has only been sacked once.

Todd's most spectacular plays aren't made with his feet anyway, even when he's flushed or scrambling. He really makes teams pay with his arm when he runs around for 7 or 8 seconds and the coverage breaks down. I'd rather see him doing that than running any day. Plus, I'm guessing the coaches did indeed tell him to back off on trying to get a bunch of yards with his feet. He took WAY too many hits against UNC in the first game.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview