Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#948166 - 09/21/09 12:41 AM Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to date
max4 Offline
spacey

Loc: North Mexico
If you grade them vs themselves which is what you should do, then all three have been average at best. If you grade them vs ordinary college players they have been very good.
But if you grade them vs what they have done in the past and what you should expect from them every week they have not been impressive.
And the biggest disappointment to me is that it has not been because of the O-line. They have been pretty darn good.

#948167 - 09/21/09 12:52 AM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to date [Re: max4]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

Loc: Dallas
Reesing:

Passing
66-102, 64.7%
806 yards
6 TD
1 INT
2 sacks
Rushing
24 carries
115 yards
2 TD

Briscoe:

(2 games)
14 receptions
271 yards
1 TD

Meier:

17 receptions
194 yards
1 TD

I think you are seeing a drop in WR production (albeit SLIGHT) due to the emergence of our depth: Wilson and McDougald who have a combined 21 receptions and 271 yards. Not too shabby for #3 WR production. That and Sharp has 9 catches and 3 TD receiving.

When you compare rushing stats, you'll realize just how good Opurum is as a Frosh:

Sharp:

42 carries
240 yards
3 TD

Opurum:

41 carries
211 yards
5 TD

Sorry, but despite what people (myself included) have been saying about Reesing not looking himself, you can't help but give him an A.

Briscoe I will give a B+, mainly due to him missing a game and dropping a couple of passes. He's still a beast.

As for Meier, I would say the same. B+.... His receptions are down, but as I said earlier in the post. Reesing is clearly comfortable throwing to our #3 and #4 WR's. That and Defenses are probably keying on Meier a bit more.

#948168 - 09/21/09 01:07 AM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to date [Re: max4]
dodrh Offline
Baby Jay

Disagree.

Todd would have had 150 more passing yards Saturday if not for 2 dropped passes. That happens.

They have been winning and controlling the games against teams they should do that to. No knock on the players.

My small beef is with the play calling. Running on every first down in the first qtr. is a little much. They waited till the 2nd to stretch the D. I guess that was part of the game plan but even I could see Dukes tackles playing run on first down. Then they would put a hard rush on 2nd down. Never changed in the first qtr.

#948169 - 09/21/09 01:15 AM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: dodrh]
killabees Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Jayhawk Nation
I find it hard to get too high or too low on players when they've been playing vanilla offense against cupcakes the first three weeks. Ask me this again after the OU game, and I'll have an opinion.

#948170 - 09/21/09 08:41 AM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: killabees]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin, TX USA
For once, I completely agree with Max.

I just can't believe how hard of a time our WRs are having of getting open! Todd is getting plenty of time to throw (either given by our OL or by his own talent to extend the play).

But, it's early and I have to remember that Briscoe sat the first game and missed all spring and summer.

#948171 - 09/21/09 09:35 AM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to date [Re: max4]
mizzouisbad Offline
Prairie Warrior

I guess you could say Reesing was kind of average against UTEP(still above average, imo, but it's Reesing).

However, against DUKE, Reesing was 28-41 for 340 yards and 3 TD. I'm not going to complain about a 70% completion rate, especially when two possible TDs were dropped. Todd was a wizard on Saturday, his usual self.

Meier has been less than his usual self. He's had a couple of drops, and god forbid he hasn't come down with a couple of difficult catches. However, he did have 2 outstanding catches against DUKE.

Briscoe has been good other than the dropped pass against DUKE. He's going to get better.

#948172 - 09/21/09 09:36 AM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: Rivethead]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

Loc: Dallas
killabees, I'm not sure our offense was that "vanilla" on Saturday. There were a lot of funky formations out there.

#948173 - 09/21/09 09:53 AM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: sdoyel]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

killabees, I'm not sure our offense was that "vanilla" on Saturday. There were a lot of funky formations out there.

Funky is vanilla for us. 5-wides, trips stacked, diamond formation.....that's all normal stuff in our spread.

I think our O formations were limited quite a bit against Duke because we didn't have the availability of our best TE (Biere).

#948174 - 09/21/09 11:15 AM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: Rivethead]
mdfraz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
Reesing B+ simply for missing some open guys against UTEP
Briscoe A- simply for dropping at least one easy pass against Dook (but he made two really good catches in coverage too)
Meier B don't know what's going on, maybe he's mortal after all, but he just hasn't made a ton of noise. I suppose at least some of it is due to McDougald getting some grabs and a bigger focus on running.

#948175 - 09/21/09 11:17 AM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: Rivethead]
killabees Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Jayhawk Nation
I'm waiting for a triple reverse, or a double statue of liberty, or a fake punt on first down sort of thing

#948176 - 09/21/09 12:15 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: mdfraz]
RussianHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Washington D.C.
Quote:

Meier B don't know what's going on, maybe he's mortal after all, but he just hasn't made a ton of noise. I suppose at least some of it is due to McDougald getting some grabs and a bigger focus on running.

I think Meier easily had the best catch against Duke laying out in the endzone followed closely by Opurum's (sp) one hand grab. I think Meier is doing exactly what we need him to.

#948177 - 09/21/09 12:28 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: RussianHawk]
jamboslice Offline
John Brown

Loc: Overland Park, KS
We need to mix it up between the run and the pass when we run the pistol formation because I see us running out of that formation mostly and it is getting predictable.

#948178 - 09/21/09 01:53 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: jamboslice]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

It may be predicticable, but our opponents haven't been able to stop it yet.

#948179 - 09/21/09 02:30 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: RussianHawk]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Quote:

I think Meier easily had the best catch against Duke laying out in the endzone followed closely by Opurum's (sp) one hand grab. I think Meier is doing exactly what we need him to.

I'd throw Max Onyegbule's catch in there too!

Briscoe's 2 long catches in coverage didn't look as impressive because he made them look kind of easy, but I'd say a good portion of Div. 1 WR's wouldn't of made them.

#948180 - 09/21/09 02:34 PM Re: Seriously grade Reesing,Meier and Briscoe to d [Re: mdfraz]
LisaT Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

Meier B don't know what's going on, maybe he's mortal after all,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview