Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#948077 - 09/23/09 01:30 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: LisaT]
hawkinTexas Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Houston, TX
Even the law has "mere presence." If Desmon was merely present when things took place, that shouldn't be held against him, at least in any severe manner. If he took part in what happened, then we should be prepared for him to be out of the lineup Saturday and maybe longer.

#948078 - 09/23/09 01:52 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: hawkinTexas]
mdfraz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
I tried to be clear in my earlier post, but if I wasn't, I apologize.

I am not saying Briscoe did anything at all. I wasn't there. All I do know is that with the incidents yesterday and today, his name came up as someone who was in the vicinity. That does not make him guilty of anything. HOWEVER, with his history here, he should be running the opposite freaking direction at the first sign of trouble, at least if he wants to have a future playing football for KU.

Yes, Fish, I realize substituting the reasonable man for anyone is a fallacy, but I'm just saying that SHOULD be his mindset.

#948079 - 09/23/09 01:53 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: hawkinTexas]
DaSaintFan Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: St. Louis
Hey guys, another USM grad dropping in (albeit living in that state that holds the team that you guys hate (Mizzou)).

First off, let me say this.. if Reesling gets away from our pressure (which happened to us quite a bit in the first half with Virginia), he's going to murder our secondary (IMO). When we got pressure on Sewell in the second half against Va, it wasn't just pressure from one point, it was usually multiple players/directions which countered the scrambling ability of Sewell after a while.

Being living in MO, there's only two teams I get to see regularly (KU and Mizz), so I've seen Reesing do some stuff with his feet. That's what scares me the most right now, as we've played three scrambling QB's so far, and for the most part, haven't been able to bring them down without them having at least a modicum of success.

One of the things some of my fellow Golden Eagles didn't state was that our DC stated in a recent article that Virginia opened against us with a whole bunch of looks they didn't see on tape, and that's why he felt we were so confused on D to start with.

Our coaching staff is one of the best at analyzing tapes and maiking adjustments on what they see on the tape.... that being said, one of your regulars stated that you've been playing pretty "vanilla" offense.. so I assume that means there is a lot we havent' got tape on? IF this is the case , and Kansas pulls ahead early, this could get ugly for my boys , as we'd have to be playing adjustments/catch-up in the 2nd half. With your QB and company, I'm not sure we'll be able to do that this week..

If you've shown a lot of your regular offense (and I"m not sure they have), then we may be able to keep even in the first half, and it'll come down to adjustments on both sides.

As for our side.. If Davis plays smart, and we don't have those silly turnovers we had against Va.. We might be able to play an up-tempo, but keep KU's offense off the field type game (Coach Fedora loves to use the no-huddle even for short to mid-range plays.)

Someone said your Defensive line is a bit undersized? Which could help Harrison (The speedster tends to get ignored when they talk about our running game) and Fletcher Fletcher comes in and pounds on your smaller guys, tiring them out for Harrison.

The one big advantage we have is Brown.. I'm not sure there is anyone on the Kansas secondary that can go up with him in terms of leaping ability + height? (although USM fans are still concerened about his condition.. he had LOTS of drops and no catches against Virginia and was definitely showing signs of a long-wait before his return.)

That said, if there is anyone I trust to know how to coach against the Jayhawks, it's Fedora... so I'm hoping he can keep it up with some success... and I gotta root for my guys so..

USM: 35 Kansas : 28

Edited by DaSaintFan (09/23/09 02:05 PM)

#948080 - 09/23/09 01:54 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: JFish26]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin, TX USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hold on fellas, aren't you passing judgement a smidge too soon based on loose fact and rumor?

I am taking a wait and see.

Good call. All I've seen about Dez was that he was present in the aftermath of today's rumble. That does NOT mean he was involved.

I guess I'm looking at his presence and assuming he's on the shortest possible leash.

Glass half full view:

Kid is SUPPOSE to be on campus and going to class....that puts him at the scene of the crime, but that doesn't mean he's involved.

#948081 - 09/23/09 01:55 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: LisaT]
Merg311 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Hays, KS
Quote:

I hope your assumptions are wrong man...his leash is short

His prior history or irresponsibility alone almost implicates him, he's no saint. I hope we have him Saturday...and the rest of the season, but I'm a bit worried at this point.

#948082 - 09/23/09 02:07 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: Merg311]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Without knowing any details for sure, but just being there doesn't mean a thing.

Let's say you and 4 buddies are walking back to your dorm room and when you are walking through the front door of the dorm, another group of guys are walking out. One of your buddies has a beef with one of the guys walking out and they bump each other and it quickly escalates to a few punches thrown. Hell, even if all you do is step back away, you're there. There's no running away or hiding from being there. You might of even jumped in to separate the 2 which would be doing something GOOD in most people's eyes. So, I put absolutely ZERO into someone listed as being there. All I know is it sounds like there's been some turf tension between the 2 teams for a while and that happens almost every year to some degree at nearly every school. Add a girl in the mix and there ya go. Like a lot of others have said, we'll find out by Saturday who is being punished on the football team and probably not long after who on the bball team is going to be punished.

#948083 - 09/23/09 02:08 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: Merg311]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Quote:

His prior history or irresponsibility alone almost implicates him, he's no saint. I hope we have him Saturday...and the rest of the season, but I'm a bit worried at this point.

Yes, but if his involvement is more direct than today's fracas, that's a third strike.

#948084 - 09/23/09 02:24 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: jayhawk1996]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, but if his involvement is more direct than today's fracas, that's a third strike.

Again, Briscoe's presence doesn't necessarily equate to involvement, but come on...wrong place, wrong time is a defense generally reserved for people who don't consistently find themselves on the wrong side of controversies.

#948085 - 09/23/09 02:37 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: JFish26]
mdfraz Offline
Baby Jay

Exactly right Fish. Once, or MAYBE even twice in the wrong place, wrong time might be bad luck. Consistently being near or around controversy shows a lack of good decision making.

And again, before getting roasted for saying that, I have no idea what role Dezmon had, if any. But for a guy like him, even guilt by assocation can be quite problematic.

#948086 - 09/23/09 02:39 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: mdfraz]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

Exactly right Fish. Once, or MAYBE even twice in the wrong place, wrong time might be bad luck. Consistently being near or around controversy shows a lack of good decision making.

And again, before getting roasted for saying that, I have no idea what role Dezmon had, if any. But for a guy like him, even guilt by assocation can be quite problematic.

Simply put, if you're Dez, you cannot be around when things get ugly. You don't get to say, "It wasn't my fault" anymore.

#948087 - 09/23/09 02:43 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: JFish26]
mdfraz Offline
Baby Jay

I understand if his buddies are involved, he may want to back them up. But he has to weigh that desire against his future on the KU football team, and possibly his future in the NFL.

I don't know how many strikes Dezmon has already used with Mangino, but there are at least a couple that have been made public. I'm guessing they aren't the only ones.

And for the record, I think Briscoe might be the best pure football player on our team, and I would HATE to lose him for even one more game, let alone more. I just think Mangino runs the kind of ship that a guy that constantly causes problems gets thrown overboard, and if Mangino wants to have any respect from his players, that can't change just because the guy is an all-American candidate.

#948088 - 09/23/09 02:48 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: mdfraz]
LisaT Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

I'm guessing they aren't the only ones.

And the attorneys keep speculating!

#948089 - 09/23/09 02:50 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: mdfraz]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I'm looking forward to the conclusion of this, so we can stop playing the ifs and buts game regarding Briscoe's status.
It's pretty simple - if he's involved, he's gone, perhaps from the program. If not, he's not.
Until then, the speculation is just that.

Edited by jayhawk1996 (09/23/09 02:51 PM)

#948090 - 09/23/09 02:50 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: LisaT]
mdfraz Offline
Baby Jay

Eh, attorney or no, anyone who follows KU football and knows the way Mangino runs things is probably thinking the same thing.

I just think Mangino won't have much of a choice IF Dezmon played any active role in any of this. And if that's the case, man is that gonna suck for the rest of the team.

#948091 - 09/23/09 02:51 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: jayhawk1996]
LisaT Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

I'm looking forward to the conclusion of this, so we can stop playing the ifs and buts game regarding Briscoe's status.
It's pretty simple - if he's involved, he's gone, perhaps from the program. If not, he's not.
Until then, the speculation is just that.

You said it.

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

Preview