Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#947972 - 09/20/09 09:40 PM Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss.
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

Loc: Dallas
Southern Miss. is going to be TOUGH. They have a very experienced team heading to Lawrence. Their QB Davis has 5TD and 0INT through 3 games, and their stud RB Fletcher has topped 100 yards in each game. It will be interesting to see how our defense stacks up. They also bring in a very good special teams unit. They have guys capable of taking Kicks and Punts to the house.

This game is making me worried, much like the game at USF last year. A loss would be devastating going into the bye week. We have got to come out ready to play!

#947973 - 09/20/09 09:47 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: sdoyel]
seanr9ne Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: KC
DeAndre Brown has been silent for this so far too...coming off of his injury. At 6'6", it will be hard to shut him down if he gets in the zone. I would love to put Patterson on him, but that's like 9" difference, we need Harris, Davis, or Rubles to step up.

#947974 - 09/20/09 09:52 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: seanr9ne]
Wickedson Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: New York, NY
Hah! We win by 30. I'm not even going to watch.

#947975 - 09/20/09 10:02 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: Wickedson]
BigD Offline
Lawrence Legend

Southern Miss should be the toughest non-conference game. We need to continue to improve as well. Having said all of that, if we can't beat S. Miss at home then we have no business talking about winning the north.

#947976 - 09/20/09 10:23 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: BigD]
tyler Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Lawrence
I'm done with these negative posts. We have thoroughly rolled through our three opponents without doing anything more than vanilla offense/defense play calls. Our offense has been electric even when our star QB hasn't looked "Todd-like" as many would like to point out. The defense has definitely improved over last year's, and if we can find a CB to step up they could become very good.

Sorry, but I don't see why we must be so negative about a team that has done what we all wanted them to do.. Win and Win handily.

#947977 - 09/20/09 10:36 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: tyler]
Wickedson Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: New York, NY
Pfft, enjoy it. KU isn't OK or Texas. Never will be.

Win or lose, we still booze.

#947978 - 09/20/09 10:38 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: tyler]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

I don't see much negative about KU in this thread.

I see people giving credit to Southern Miss. They are a pretty good team. I'm glad people recognize that.

So. Miss will easily be the strongest team we have faced, especially in the 4th quarter. They seem to get stronger as the game goes along.

I'm confident in the Hawks, but Southern Miss isn't undefeated by accident.

#947979 - 09/20/09 10:40 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Meh, I don't see what makes Southern Miss that much better than UTEP. We'll dispatch them handily.

#947980 - 09/20/09 10:43 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: JFish26]
Merg311 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Hays, KS
Quote:

Meh, I don't see what makes Southern Miss that much better than UTEP. We'll dispatch them handily.

As do I. Next year when we go to Hattiesburg, with a new QB at the helm it may be a different story.

Yesterday, a Virginia team with Ron Prince on staff game USM all they could handle, the Cavaliers completely gave the game away in the 2nd half.

KU by 17

#947981 - 09/20/09 10:45 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: Merg311]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
I'd guess closer to 37.

#947982 - 09/20/09 10:47 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: JFish26]
Merg311 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Hays, KS
Quote:

I'd guess closer to 37.

That would work too.

#947983 - 09/20/09 10:51 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: Merg311]
tyler Offline
Prairie Warrior

Not necessarily this post, but the whole football board seems to be looking for tiny flaws that we can latch onto and bitch and moan about. I guess it was just the part about comparing this home game against a C-USA team to a road game against a BigEast team. Just looking for some optimism around here I suppose.

#947984 - 09/20/09 10:56 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: tyler]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

An EXPERIENCED Conference USA team who DID go 7-6 last season. They've also put a ton of points on the board through 3 games, even if they dug themselves a hole to Virginia.

I don't see any negativity in my own post. Just making some of you aware that So. Miss. is a decent foe to not be taken lightly.

Tyler, I don't get where you say I "compared" this game to USF. I simply said it's making me worried. Chill the f out.

#947985 - 09/20/09 11:05 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: sdoyel]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

Some Southern Miss tidbits from yahoo which was posted prior to the game against Virginia:

• The Golden Eagles’ defense has surrendered just one rushing touchdown during their current seven-game winning streak, a 6-yard run by Troy’s Jerrel Jernigan in the third quarter of the 2008 New Orleans Bowl.

Scouting The Offense: Southern Miss ranks 11th nationally in rushing (264.5 yards per game) and 13th in total offense (507.5) and is third in C-USA in scoring (39.0 points per game). The Golden Eagles have committed just two turnovers (both fumbles). Damion Fletcher is third in the league with 158.5 all-purpose yards per game.

Scouting The Defense: The Golden Eagles are seventh in the nation in rushing defense (38.5 yards per game) and ninth in total defense (182.5) and they lead C-USA in scoring defense (9.5 points per game. Opponents have tallied a combined 21 first downs and have reached the red zone just four times in eight quarters.

Players To Watch:

QB Austin Davis—Through two games, he is on pace for 2,820 passing yards and 24 TDs. The sophomore already ranks fifth in school history with 11 career 200-yard games, four behind Brett Favre (1987-91) for fourth place.

WR DeAndre Brown—The explosive 6-6 sophomore returned from a broken leg last week to grab seven passes for 75 yards. A 100-yard game against Virginia would be the fifth of his career, third-most in school history after Sherrod Gideon (11) and Todd Pinkston (six).

DE Cordarro Law—The 6-2, 243-pound sophomore shares the C-USA lead with two sacks for negative-18 yards and is tied for sixth with 3.0 tackles for loss.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/ne...ype=team_report

#947986 - 09/20/09 11:11 PM Re: Damion Fletcher and Southern Miss. [Re: sdoyel]
tyler Offline
Prairie Warrior

Ok, that's fine. I'm chill. I just re-read your post and I understand what you're saying. I am, by no means, looking to make any enemies here, especially fellow hawks. Sorry if my intial post upset you.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Preview