Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#925543 - 08/18/09 06:31 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. ** [Re: seahawk]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
I'll donate an AB's Beef and Pork, Fries, and a Cream Soda but it will take awhile.

RIP Pom.

#925544 - 08/18/09 06:34 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: parkhawk3319]
copperhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

And it would be swell if, in the future, the locals took the time to report some hillbilly who abandons his house and a couple of dozen un-neutered and spayed dogs - before they turn feral and someone gets killed - as well as the dogs most likely being destroyed.
If the poms were familiar with this property, I can't imagine for the life of me why they'd want to bring a leashed dog anywhere near it. Just viewing the news video of the dog pack is horrifying.
So many questions.

#925545 - 08/18/09 06:51 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
unburnt_orange Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

There are no words for how terrible and sad this is. I'm glad Lothar and Sherry found the way back to each other for their remaining years.

#925546 - 08/18/09 06:53 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
geohawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: backwoods JOCO
This whole thing seems so surreal. I can not imagine what was going through the poor guy's mind while he was trying to save his wife.

#925547 - 08/18/09 07:12 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: parkhawk3319]
jhawk0097 Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

My favorite part of his story; how Pom got to Kansas and why he left. We all knew he could carry a torch.

Their sons - Mark Schweder, who lives in Aiken, S.C., and York Schweder, from Hutchinson, Kan. - could hardly believe such a thing could happen to their parents, animal lovers who adopted several dogs and cats.

The couple divorced when Mark Schweder was 2 years old, he said. Lothar Schweder left the University of Georgia in 1973 and moved to Kansas. He worked for and retired from the Kansas prison system, York Schweder said, while Sherry Allen stayed at UGA, where she started working in 1974.

Mark Schweder said his father, though a thousand miles away, stayed persistent in talking to his mother. Eventually, he won her back.

They remarried in 2000, when Mark was 32, and the couple moved onto seven acres in Oglethorpe County.

I liked that bit too Park. Definitely sounds like Pom.

#925548 - 08/18/09 08:33 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jhawk0097]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

"My favorite part of his story; how Pom got to Kansas and why he left. We all knew he could carry a torch."

Even by long distance, can you imagine having pom intent on winning you back? (I'm thinking...War of attrition...)

All I'm saying is: The guy could focus.

#925549 - 08/18/09 08:59 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Shirley]
jhwkswn Offline
Baby Jay

I don't mean this to be as childish as it sounds, but... think Pom thought he would ever be a headliner on Drudge? A bit ironic, huh?

Link to image

#925550 - 08/18/09 10:46 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Word, copper. I was thinking that if I'd been the poms I would have planted a whole row of Castor Beans. Or not gone outside without a tazer.

#925551 - 08/18/09 11:22 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

And it would be swell if, in the future, the locals took the time to report some hillbilly who abandons his house and a couple of dozen un-neutered and spayed dogs - before they turn feral and someone gets killed - as well as the dogs most likely being destroyed.
If the poms were familiar with this property, I can't imagine for the life of me why they'd want to bring a leashed dog anywhere near it. Just viewing the news video of the dog pack is horrifying.
So many questions.

The dogs belong to a man who used to live in the area but was forced to move because of medical problems, neighbors said. A friend would take the former owner to the property to feed the dogs, they said.
Source

In what might be an ultimate irony, Access to the current Health Care System may have played a pivotal role in this incident.

#925552 - 08/19/09 08:08 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

#925553 - 08/19/09 09:15 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
kellyfenton Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

To Pom,
Often pedantic, mostly humorless, but always relentless and passionate. All of those things because he seemed to TRULY care about the issues of the day. RIP old man.

#925554 - 08/19/09 09:45 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: kellyfenton]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom
One of those reports states that Pom's family had 20 cats and seven dogs?

Good gracious.

#925555 - 08/19/09 09:47 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: kellyfenton]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom
Quote:

To Pom,
Often pedantic, mostly humorless, but always relentless and passionate. All of those things because he seemed to TRULY care about the issues of the day. RIP old man.

I don't know about anyone else, but while Pom was, for the most part, pretty humorless, I did notice a little playfulness in his posts these past few weeks. To the point of, dare I say, being funny.

Enough to make me think that perhaps he was feeling better after his surgery. Anyone else notice this?

#925556 - 08/19/09 09:48 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: kellyfenton]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

I have to admit, despite anger and sorrow, that I also feel a little bad for the 5 puppies that were presumably part of the pack of dogs, which were euthanized along with the rest.

But, I am more concerned for the 20 cats and 7 dogs that are left behind from the Pom household. I'll be making a donation toward their upkeep until proper homes can be found.

#925557 - 08/19/09 09:55 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: chiknbut]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Korova Milkbar
Quote:

In defense of those who spent the majority of their time on this board battling with him, he took it and gave it right back. He knew this was all just a silly game. I doubt he even had any personal ill will against their likes.

BINGO! That's how I felt about him.

Heck, I'll bet we could have had some interesting discussions about Bulgakov over an AB's beef-and-pork sammich, fries and a red cream.

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Preview