Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#925513 - 08/18/09 11:09 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. ** [Re: chiknbut]
bpritchett Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Exile
CNN Video

Includes an interview with their son, Mark.

Sad, sad, sad.

#925514 - 08/18/09 11:17 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: bpritchett]
jhwkswn Offline
Baby Jay

I started this thread nearly brushing it off, thinking there is no way this can actually be Pom. Crazy. I feel strange saying it cause I'm still not sure I believe it but, if true, Godspeed, Pom. This little spot in cyberspace will truely never be the same.

#925515 - 08/18/09 11:25 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: bpritchett]
jayhawk96 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Denver
Jesus. I'm sick to my stomach. A true loss.

#925516 - 08/18/09 11:28 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jhwkswn]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
Can someone please give me a little backround on Pom? Sure I knew who he was but I didn't know much about him. Thanks.

#925517 - 08/18/09 11:33 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: larryb]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

Can someone please give me a little backround on Pom? Sure I knew who he was but I didn't know much about him. Thanks.

Seahawk's initial post in this thread is a pretty good place to start.

Looking at Pom's last 100 posts may give you more insight at what he was like here on the message boards.

http://boards.kusports.com/dosearch.php?...&fromprof=1

He would post on the Football and Basketball boards from time to time "in season", but he was a fixture on the Politics Board.

#925518 - 08/18/09 11:44 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Thanks 5-10. I was just curious about him the person "off" the boards. My guess is him being in Georgia - not too many people had the opportunity to meet him. Seemed like he lived an interesting life.

#925519 - 08/18/09 12:52 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: chiknbut]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

I'd like to thank Seahawk for catching this and Park for calling me now to inform me, since I haven't been reading this forum much lately.

Stunned. Park called me over 2 hours ago, and I'm more stunned now, than I was then.

I have no doubt this is pom. I'm only holding out the slim hope that they died of "other causes", before the apparent cause. I know pom and his wife lived in a somewhat rural setting, and had lots of dogs of their own, being unable to turn away strays.

NAP is right. Pom had family in Hutchinson, and would generally visit them yearly in Sept. to coincide with the Kansas State Fair. Two years ago I was to pick him up at KCI, and share lunch before he proceeded to Hutchinson. I offered to attempt to get some of the usual suspects together for the lunch. But, something came up, he didn't say and I didn't ask, and he didn't visit that year. Then, after his heart surgery last year, he didn't make the trip then, either.

Pom's bypass surgery seemed to be particularly hard on him. I was concerned that it was taking him so long to recover, and the weakening of his voice was alarming. He sounded terrible. And then, he was readmitted to the hospital, and I wasn't sure we'd ever hear from him again.

As others have mentioned, pom was passionately appreciative of any and all "new" sources of information. He was a wellspring of info himself, and he'd sometimes forward me links to articles that he didn't bother to post here. Often, they'd go on for pages and pages, but I was always glad he had sent them, after making it through.

Though pom and I never spoke about the various personalities here, I could tell by the way pom's interaction with badair evolved over time, that he had earned pom's respect. For years and years we've seen pom empty some of his heaviest artillery onto badair, and with very few exceptions, badair remained the gentleman he is, throughout. A number of us could learn a lot from that...

I discovered early on here that I was fortunate to share a similar pov with pom, and wouldn't be (generally speaking) faced with attempting to answer his questions. That pom's main "adversaries" on this forum were so frequently reduced to slurs, epithets, and/or pure-D nonsense, when attempting to parry his posts, made me ever more appreciative of that fact with time, and speaks to the standards pom held himself to.

This is so sad. Despite how his personality came across here, Lothar was always cheery and upbeat when we spoke-a joy to talk to, even after he started sounding like he was 100 years old and death warmed over, in his heavily-accented English. He always maneuvered the conversations around to talking about their dogs, referring to them as if they were almost people.

I only wish now that I'd made more of a consistent effort to stay in touch, rather than so sporadically.

I'm going to miss pom, an awful lot.

"Words matter".

Indeed they do, Lothar. Indeed, they do.

RIP, friend.

#925520 - 08/18/09 01:00 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Shirley]
bpritchett Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Exile
Thank you, Shirley, for taking time to post that and help me put a face on a valuable contributor to this forum.

#925521 - 08/18/09 01:09 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: bpritchett]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

I scarcely have the will to argue today.

#925522 - 08/18/09 01:15 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Shirley]
unburnt_orange Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

That's a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing it.

#925523 - 08/18/09 01:17 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Wonderfully said Shirley! Thanks for sharing that. I think he would be very appreciative of your words.

#925524 - 08/18/09 01:26 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: larryb]
copperhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

+1

#925525 - 08/18/09 01:31 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: larryb]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom
Quote:

Wonderfully said Shirley! Thanks for sharing that. I think he would be very appreciative of your words.

Agreed. Though in a way I bet he wasn't too bothered to be called the board "commie" either. It might have been a badge of honor.

Thanks for sharing Shirley.

#925526 - 08/18/09 01:47 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Quote:

I scarcely have the will to argue today.

I lost mine days ago, and this isn't going to help.

I just got off the phone with one of Lothar's sons. I told him what a presence pom has been here, and what a void his absence will leave. I took the liberty of expressing all our condolences, and his son was very appreciative.

#925527 - 08/18/09 02:17 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Shirley]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
Thank you Shirley for saying what many of us are feeling.

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

Preview