Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#925468 - 08/17/09 07:32 PM I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. **
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

When I first came to this forum, when there were few females and I was very afraid to say anything, pom was the first person to ever PM me. And the first to make the same kind of nice comment on my post that DC has had such great fun ridiculing him for.

I have this thing about loyalty, so even when Pom aggravated me or I disagreed with him, I found it difficult to write him off and jump on the bandwagon of trying to make an old guy look stupid. Since he seemed to have had some heart problems the last year, I was dismayed at the continued anti-semite, DVFT, "I love my pomeranian" bumper sticker, "dude, your language is so stilted" (even if you're writing in a language not your native one) posts.

But I'm ashamed because I didn't step forward to say "FVCK YOU, DC, for spending so much time trying to keep an old man from posting stuff that you disagree with, or mostly just for posting anything because he wasn't up to your clever right-wing standards."

FVCK YOU, RMAN, for all the DVFT and Porter Goss and most of all for making fun publicly over and over of an old man's childhood experiences. Especially when he had revealed them in a more private forum to explain what he so valued about this country.

FVCK YOU, Shades, for all the "dude, your language is so stilted" comments to someone who did way better writing in a language not his native one than I do.

Shame on me for not standing up to say that and then leaving.

So I'm saying it now, FVCK YOU, DC. FVCK YOU, RMAN, FVCK YOU, shades.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-08-17-dogattack-
couple-georgia_N.htm?loc=interstitialsk

Sheriff: Ga. couple likely killed in dog attack

ATLANTA (AP) A former college professor and his wife were apparently attacked and killed by nearly a dozen dogs along a rural northeast Georgia road where their bodies were found mutilated, authorities said Monday.

Preliminary autopsy results from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation showed Sherry Schweder, 65, likely died of injuries suffered in a dog attack, Oglethorpe County Sheriff Mike Smith said. Autopsy results for her husband, Lothar Karl Schweder, 77, were not yet available, but Smith said it's likely he was also attacked by dogs because the scene was so grisly.

Smith said officials were going to round up at least 11 dogs seen in the area where the couple's mutilated bodies were found Saturday morning by five passersby.

It wasn't immediately clear whether the mixed-breed dogs, which are to be captured by animal control officers from neighboring Madison County, were feral or someone's pets. There had been no recent complaints about vicious dogs in the area, Smith said.

Stephanie Shain, a spokeswoman for the Humane Society of the United States, said it was "uncommon" for people to be bitten to death by dogs, citing federal figures that the average number of fatal dog bites each year is 16.

#925469 - 08/17/09 07:43 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
and_one Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Colorado
nice rant on gender bias, old guys, dog attacks, linguistic proclivities, etc...
now go get your meds checked

#925470 - 08/17/09 07:52 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: and_one]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

I'm sure that it doesn't matter to you, but look at the location under pomeranian.

http://boards.kusports.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1475414&an=0&page=0#1475414

How many former German professors whose wives are librarians do you think there are living in Lexington, Georgia?

#925471 - 08/17/09 08:00 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
t_jayhawk Offline
suck it, asswipes

Loc: evansville, indiana
not to cry wolf, but i looked and he hasn't posted since friday.

#925472 - 08/17/09 08:03 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
I certianly hope that is not Pom.

#925473 - 08/17/09 08:18 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Geezer]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Pom's given name was Lothar. His wife was a librarian. He mentioned that in his very first post to me.

Oh, and FVCK YOU, psych, under whatever name you're currently posting, for all the hideous adult diaper references.

#925474 - 08/17/09 08:21 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
t_jayhawk Offline
suck it, asswipes

#925475 - 08/17/09 08:22 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Crap.
I've grown attached to those here that I have both agreed with and disagreed with but this is a tragic ending.
Damn I just hope it's not him.

#925476 - 08/17/09 08:31 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Geezer]
unburnt_orange Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

I pray this isn't Pom.

#925477 - 08/17/09 08:37 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: unburnt_orange]
t_jayhawk Offline
suck it, asswipes

a simple google search showed that lothar schweder of lexington, georgia was a contributor to barak obama and posted on message boards as a liberal.

http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?st=&zip=30648&last=Schweder&first=Lothar

--couldn't link the message boards but they are in the search.

#925478 - 08/17/09 08:47 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: t_jayhawk]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

>>The GBI responded to a call about the bodies around 10 a.m. Saturday morning.<<

Last post Friday night at approx. 7:00.

#925479 - 08/17/09 09:06 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Geezer]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

I hope and pray its not pom and his wife. I fear that we won't be so fortunate.

#925480 - 08/17/09 09:07 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Geezer]
DCHawk1 Offline
Proudly Derivative.

Loc: District of Columbia
Quote:

>>The GBI responded to a call about the bodies around 10 a.m. Saturday morning.<<

Last post Friday night at approx. 7:00.

The only glimmer of hope, perhaps, given that, is this:

The bodies were found along a dirt road near the couple's home in Lexington and had been there for at least 24 hours before they were found, said county coroner James Mathews.

#925481 - 08/17/09 09:10 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: DCHawk1]
unburnt_orange Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

I noted that glimmer as well. It's a horrific tragedy and my heart goes out to the victims.

#925482 - 08/17/09 09:50 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
bpritchett Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Exile
I'm truly shocked. One of the online articles said a son lived in Hutchinson. Not sure how that fits with Pom's known biographical facts.

There's a lesson here somewhere. Probably several.

Pom was always civil to me. I hope the worst isn't true.

#925483 - 08/17/09 09:59 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: bpritchett]
DCHawk1 Offline
Proudly Derivative.

The only thing I know other than what's been mentioned is that Pom said he previously taught at Washburn.

#925484 - 08/17/09 10:11 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: DCHawk1]
badair Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Topeka
Quote:

The only thing I know other than what's been mentioned is that Pom said he previously taught at Washburn.

I live just down the street from Washburn. If there's anything in the paper I'll forward it. What a tragedy!

#925485 - 08/17/09 10:11 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: DCHawk1]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

I'm actually speechless. I really hope it wasn't Pom.

#925486 - 08/17/09 10:16 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
copperhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Incredible.

#925487 - 08/17/09 10:18 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: hasbeen]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

From the KU alumni association directory, Sherry L. Schweder, '66, BA.

#925488 - 08/17/09 10:18 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: DCHawk1]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
I am stunned to read this thread. Pom and I have had our battles but that is politics and in the grand scheme of things not really so important as many of us (myself included) make it. I hope Pom shows up and we can go another round or two. If not then best to those left behind and to Pom I say journey well.

#925489 - 08/17/09 10:26 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
copperhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The age on his profile on my board is 77.

#925490 - 08/17/09 11:18 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jayhwk01]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: South of Paris
It's a terrible tragedy, and especially sad if the victims were Pom and his wife.

Even at 77, he retained a passion for politics. In a spirited political disagreement, Pom wasn't accustomed to giving any quarter, and I don't believe he expected much, if any, in return.

Didn't Bill Clinton contend that politics is a contact sport? From what I observed, Pom accepted that as one of the (imperfect) realities of life.

[Maybe in a few hundred years the species will be wiser. Then again, maybe not.]

#925491 - 08/17/09 11:20 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

#925492 - 08/17/09 11:27 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
copperhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Surreal. Just stunned.

#925493 - 08/17/09 11:37 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Pomerania, I assume that's where pom was born.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Pomerania

#925494 - 08/17/09 11:40 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
copperhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Yup.

#925495 - 08/17/09 11:50 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

Un-[censored]-believable.

#925496 - 08/18/09 12:10 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: hasbeen]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Yes, that is Pom. Lothar had a son in Hutchinson. He was civil with me even when we disagreed. he was quick to PM and say a kind word. It is a sad day.

#925497 - 08/18/09 12:12 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: NotAPuke]
WaHawk04 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Can I be the [censored]?

I wish it was copper or 5-10, at least pom was coherent.

I'm saddened by a loss of a fellow Jayhawk, but I'm a firm believer in Karma.

Take your shots, at least I'm being honest.

#925498 - 08/18/09 12:26 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. *DELETED* [Re: WaHawk04]
DCHawk1 Offline
Proudly Derivative.

Post deleted by DCHawk1

#925499 - 08/18/09 12:32 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: DCHawk1]
WaHawk04 Offline
Phog Fanatic

why not. None of you really knew him in real life and if you did you wouldn't give a sh!t about what some anonymous internet message board poster said about him. your memories of him would completely outweigh anything said here.

#925500 - 08/18/09 12:33 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WaHawk04]
WaHawk04 Offline
Phog Fanatic

To add to my last post, I'm a big believer in celebrating a mans (womans) death, so here is to you pom..

Cheers brother.

#925501 - 08/18/09 12:47 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WaHawk04]
jhawk0097 Offline
Baby Jay

Wow. Language is an inadequate instrument to express emotions/thoughts in this sort of situation. RIP Pom.

#925502 - 08/18/09 06:41 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jhawk0097]
JHAWKinKY Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Back Where I Belong
I've only been around for a short time, but Pom was always willing to mix it up with me at the drop of a hat. Admittedly, I was unaware that Pom was who Pom was. For those of us who don't know each other, we seem to put some sort of image to those posters that we engage with, at least I do. I always imagined Pom as a very highly educated, witty, and thoughtful, woman. Turns out I was only wrong about the last part.

#925503 - 08/18/09 07:37 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: JHAWKinKY]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

I saw this story on the news and thought it was a pretty horrific event. Now that I learn it was Pom... it strikes closer to home.

I can't say I knew Pom particularly well. The only contact I had with him was his postings on this message board. We argued a few times on some issues, and we agreed on other issues. He was one of the only posters here that would actually thank someone for sharing a new piece of quality information, sometimes even if that new information was something he didn't like.

It appears that Pom's last act was a heroic attempt to rescue his wife. While I don't want to trivialize the obvious pain and suffering from the incident, clearly he gave his life in an act of honor.

So long Pom. You fought the good fight until the end.

#925504 - 08/18/09 07:39 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

#925505 - 08/18/09 08:08 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Korova Milkbar
I disagreed with him on almost everything, but I didn't actively dislike hiim.

I'm very sorry to hear of his and his wife's horrible deaths.

#925506 - 08/18/09 08:33 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: RManFlint]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
He will be missed. My condolences to the Schweder family, extended family, and friends.

#925507 - 08/18/09 08:50 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: larryb]
minhin Offline
Uh Oh

Loc: ...in the warm sun
I don't often post on this board, but I read it a lot.
The loss of Pom will leave a large hole in discussions.
My condolences also to family and friends.
I know he will be missed here.

#925508 - 08/18/09 09:11 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: minhin]
LisaT Offline
Max Falkenstein

Words escape me....sigh

#925509 - 08/18/09 09:29 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom
It appears that Pom's last act was a heroic attempt to rescue his wife. While I don't want to trivialize the obvious pain and suffering from the incident, clearly he gave his life in an act of honor

Absolutely stunning. Good lord, what a horrible end.

In defense of those who spent the majority of their time on this board battling with him, he took it and gave it right back. He knew this was all just a silly game. I doubt he even had any personal ill will against their likes.

I only hope this is not true. Please just be a sick joke or a horrible coincidence.

#925510 - 08/18/09 09:43 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WaHawk04]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Quote:

Can I be the [censored]?

I wish it was copper or 5-10, at least pom was coherent.

I'm saddened by a loss of a fellow Jayhawk, but I'm a firm believer in Karma.

I'm glad you believe in karma.

#925511 - 08/18/09 10:34 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Bohemia
Horrific news. He will be missed here. Rest in peace Pom.

for Pom

#925512 - 08/18/09 10:39 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: parkhawk3319]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Perfect sendoff, Park.

#925513 - 08/18/09 11:09 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: chiknbut]
bpritchett Offline
Phog Fanatic

CNN Video

Includes an interview with their son, Mark.

Sad, sad, sad.

#925514 - 08/18/09 11:17 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: bpritchett]
jhwkswn Offline
Baby Jay

I started this thread nearly brushing it off, thinking there is no way this can actually be Pom. Crazy. I feel strange saying it cause I'm still not sure I believe it but, if true, Godspeed, Pom. This little spot in cyberspace will truely never be the same.

#925515 - 08/18/09 11:25 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: bpritchett]
jayhawk96 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Denver
Jesus. I'm sick to my stomach. A true loss.

#925516 - 08/18/09 11:28 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jhwkswn]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Can someone please give me a little backround on Pom? Sure I knew who he was but I didn't know much about him. Thanks.

#925517 - 08/18/09 11:33 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: larryb]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

Can someone please give me a little backround on Pom? Sure I knew who he was but I didn't know much about him. Thanks.

Seahawk's initial post in this thread is a pretty good place to start.

Looking at Pom's last 100 posts may give you more insight at what he was like here on the message boards.

http://boards.kusports.com/dosearch.php?...&fromprof=1

He would post on the Football and Basketball boards from time to time "in season", but he was a fixture on the Politics Board.

#925518 - 08/18/09 11:44 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Thanks 5-10. I was just curious about him the person "off" the boards. My guess is him being in Georgia - not too many people had the opportunity to meet him. Seemed like he lived an interesting life.

#925519 - 08/18/09 12:52 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: chiknbut]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

I'd like to thank Seahawk for catching this and Park for calling me now to inform me, since I haven't been reading this forum much lately.

Stunned. Park called me over 2 hours ago, and I'm more stunned now, than I was then.

I have no doubt this is pom. I'm only holding out the slim hope that they died of "other causes", before the apparent cause. I know pom and his wife lived in a somewhat rural setting, and had lots of dogs of their own, being unable to turn away strays.

NAP is right. Pom had family in Hutchinson, and would generally visit them yearly in Sept. to coincide with the Kansas State Fair. Two years ago I was to pick him up at KCI, and share lunch before he proceeded to Hutchinson. I offered to attempt to get some of the usual suspects together for the lunch. But, something came up, he didn't say and I didn't ask, and he didn't visit that year. Then, after his heart surgery last year, he didn't make the trip then, either.

Pom's bypass surgery seemed to be particularly hard on him. I was concerned that it was taking him so long to recover, and the weakening of his voice was alarming. He sounded terrible. And then, he was readmitted to the hospital, and I wasn't sure we'd ever hear from him again.

As others have mentioned, pom was passionately appreciative of any and all "new" sources of information. He was a wellspring of info himself, and he'd sometimes forward me links to articles that he didn't bother to post here. Often, they'd go on for pages and pages, but I was always glad he had sent them, after making it through.

Though pom and I never spoke about the various personalities here, I could tell by the way pom's interaction with badair evolved over time, that he had earned pom's respect. For years and years we've seen pom empty some of his heaviest artillery onto badair, and with very few exceptions, badair remained the gentleman he is, throughout. A number of us could learn a lot from that...

I discovered early on here that I was fortunate to share a similar pov with pom, and wouldn't be (generally speaking) faced with attempting to answer his questions. That pom's main "adversaries" on this forum were so frequently reduced to slurs, epithets, and/or pure-D nonsense, when attempting to parry his posts, made me ever more appreciative of that fact with time, and speaks to the standards pom held himself to.

This is so sad. Despite how his personality came across here, Lothar was always cheery and upbeat when we spoke-a joy to talk to, even after he started sounding like he was 100 years old and death warmed over, in his heavily-accented English. He always maneuvered the conversations around to talking about their dogs, referring to them as if they were almost people.

I only wish now that I'd made more of a consistent effort to stay in touch, rather than so sporadically.

I'm going to miss pom, an awful lot.

"Words matter".

Indeed they do, Lothar. Indeed, they do.

RIP, friend.

#925520 - 08/18/09 01:00 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Shirley]
bpritchett Offline
Phog Fanatic

Thank you, Shirley, for taking time to post that and help me put a face on a valuable contributor to this forum.

#925521 - 08/18/09 01:09 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: bpritchett]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

I scarcely have the will to argue today.

#925522 - 08/18/09 01:15 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Shirley]
unburnt_orange Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

That's a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing it.

#925523 - 08/18/09 01:17 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Wonderfully said Shirley! Thanks for sharing that. I think he would be very appreciative of your words.

#925524 - 08/18/09 01:26 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: larryb]
copperhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

+1

#925525 - 08/18/09 01:31 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: larryb]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Quote:

Wonderfully said Shirley! Thanks for sharing that. I think he would be very appreciative of your words.

Agreed. Though in a way I bet he wasn't too bothered to be called the board "commie" either. It might have been a badge of honor.

Thanks for sharing Shirley.

#925526 - 08/18/09 01:47 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Quote:

I lost mine days ago, and this isn't going to help.

I just got off the phone with one of Lothar's sons. I told him what a presence pom has been here, and what a void his absence will leave. I took the liberty of expressing all our condolences, and his son was very appreciative.

#925527 - 08/18/09 02:17 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Shirley]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Thank you Shirley for saying what many of us are feeling.

#925528 - 08/18/09 02:30 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Geezer]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Thanks, shirley for letting the family know how much we valued pom.

And thank you for taking the time to interact personally with an old guy who must have enjoyed that contact.

#925529 - 08/18/09 02:49 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Geezer]
jayhawk96 Offline
Baby Jay

Shirley, that was lovely.
And, my condolences, especially to you, as you were the closest of all of us to Pom.

#925530 - 08/18/09 02:53 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Shirley]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Well said Shirley.

I may actually include a reference to you in my next prayer in hopes that your grief will be eased.

(not trying to start a fight... feel free to laugh)

#925531 - 08/18/09 02:55 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Shirley]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

Quote:

Quote:

I lost mine days ago, and this isn't going to help.

I just got off the phone with one of Lothar's sons. I told him what a presence pom has been here, and what a void his absence will leave. I took the liberty of expressing all our condolences, and his son was very appreciative.

Thank you for that.

#925532 - 08/18/09 03:27 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jayhawk96]
LisaT Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

Shirley, that was lovely.
And, my condolences, especially to you, as you were the closest of all of us to Pom.

Well said....I am still speechless....sending thoughts and prayers to the Pom family....surreal.

#925533 - 08/18/09 03:53 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Someone's mailbox is full. You know who you are...

#925534 - 08/18/09 04:28 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Shirley]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

No longer.

#925535 - 08/18/09 05:29 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Okay, since I started this off on kind of a low note, let me suggest that we all do something in honor of pom this week.

Watch a soccer match, then we can all discuss it.

Okay, well maybe I'll send a donation to the ACLU in his name.

#925536 - 08/18/09 05:39 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
and_one Offline
Max Falkenstien

how about an en-mass contribution to a an animal rescue shelter

#925537 - 08/18/09 05:41 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: and_one]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Oh goodie! Another attention [censored].

#925538 - 08/18/09 05:49 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: chiknbut]
and_one Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Oh goodie! Another attention [censored].

According to the reports, Pom and wife would take in strays - my suggestion was meant to be a positive, not a disgusting play on the terrible COD...

#925539 - 08/18/09 05:56 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: and_one]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Has the funeral announcement been posted yet?
That usually contains a statement about donations.

#925540 - 08/18/09 06:03 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Max Falkenstien

My favorite part of his story; how Pom got to Kansas and why he left. We all knew he could carry a torch.

Their sons - Mark Schweder, who lives in Aiken, S.C., and York Schweder, from Hutchinson, Kan. - could hardly believe such a thing could happen to their parents, animal lovers who adopted several dogs and cats.

The couple divorced when Mark Schweder was 2 years old, he said. Lothar Schweder left the University of Georgia in 1973 and moved to Kansas. He worked for and retired from the Kansas prison system, York Schweder said, while Sherry Allen stayed at UGA, where she started working in 1974.

Mark Schweder said his father, though a thousand miles away, stayed persistent in talking to his mother. Eventually, he won her back.

They remarried in 2000, when Mark was 32, and the couple moved onto seven acres in Oglethorpe County.

With regards to donations and such see below:

On Saturday, Athens-Clarke County Animal Control helped to transport the Schweders' seven cats and dogs to Madison County Animal Shelter, where they are up for adoption.

"If anyone wants to take care of an animal or even donate funds so they can be boarded, they can get in touch with me," said Nan McMurry, who worked with Sherry Schweder in the Main Library (University of Georgia - Athens) for more than 20 years. "There's not much we can do for them now, but I know how much they would appreciate help with their pets."

Madison Oglethorpe Animal Shelter

#925541 - 08/18/09 06:28 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: parkhawk3319]
bpritchett Offline
Phog Fanatic

Thanks for posting the link to the animal shelter. They have easy PayPal giving online, and a place to note what it is for.

#925542 - 08/18/09 06:28 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: parkhawk3319]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Good idea, park.

#925543 - 08/18/09 06:31 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

I'll donate an AB's Beef and Pork, Fries, and a Cream Soda but it will take awhile.

RIP Pom.

#925544 - 08/18/09 06:34 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: parkhawk3319]
copperhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

And it would be swell if, in the future, the locals took the time to report some hillbilly who abandons his house and a couple of dozen un-neutered and spayed dogs - before they turn feral and someone gets killed - as well as the dogs most likely being destroyed.
If the poms were familiar with this property, I can't imagine for the life of me why they'd want to bring a leashed dog anywhere near it. Just viewing the news video of the dog pack is horrifying.
So many questions.

#925545 - 08/18/09 06:51 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
unburnt_orange Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

There are no words for how terrible and sad this is. I'm glad Lothar and Sherry found the way back to each other for their remaining years.

#925546 - 08/18/09 06:53 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
geohawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: backwoods JOCO
This whole thing seems so surreal. I can not imagine what was going through the poor guy's mind while he was trying to save his wife.

#925547 - 08/18/09 07:12 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: parkhawk3319]
jhawk0097 Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

My favorite part of his story; how Pom got to Kansas and why he left. We all knew he could carry a torch.

Their sons - Mark Schweder, who lives in Aiken, S.C., and York Schweder, from Hutchinson, Kan. - could hardly believe such a thing could happen to their parents, animal lovers who adopted several dogs and cats.

The couple divorced when Mark Schweder was 2 years old, he said. Lothar Schweder left the University of Georgia in 1973 and moved to Kansas. He worked for and retired from the Kansas prison system, York Schweder said, while Sherry Allen stayed at UGA, where she started working in 1974.

Mark Schweder said his father, though a thousand miles away, stayed persistent in talking to his mother. Eventually, he won her back.

They remarried in 2000, when Mark was 32, and the couple moved onto seven acres in Oglethorpe County.

I liked that bit too Park. Definitely sounds like Pom.

#925548 - 08/18/09 08:33 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jhawk0097]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

"My favorite part of his story; how Pom got to Kansas and why he left. We all knew he could carry a torch."

Even by long distance, can you imagine having pom intent on winning you back? (I'm thinking...War of attrition...)

All I'm saying is: The guy could focus.

#925549 - 08/18/09 08:59 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Shirley]
jhwkswn Offline
Baby Jay

I don't mean this to be as childish as it sounds, but... think Pom thought he would ever be a headliner on Drudge? A bit ironic, huh?

Link to image

#925550 - 08/18/09 10:46 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Word, copper. I was thinking that if I'd been the poms I would have planted a whole row of Castor Beans. Or not gone outside without a tazer.

#925551 - 08/18/09 11:22 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

And it would be swell if, in the future, the locals took the time to report some hillbilly who abandons his house and a couple of dozen un-neutered and spayed dogs - before they turn feral and someone gets killed - as well as the dogs most likely being destroyed.
If the poms were familiar with this property, I can't imagine for the life of me why they'd want to bring a leashed dog anywhere near it. Just viewing the news video of the dog pack is horrifying.
So many questions.

The dogs belong to a man who used to live in the area but was forced to move because of medical problems, neighbors said. A friend would take the former owner to the property to feed the dogs, they said.
Source

In what might be an ultimate irony, Access to the current Health Care System may have played a pivotal role in this incident.

#925552 - 08/19/09 08:08 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

#925553 - 08/19/09 09:15 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
kellyfenton Offline
Lawrence Legend

To Pom,
Often pedantic, mostly humorless, but always relentless and passionate. All of those things because he seemed to TRULY care about the issues of the day. RIP old man.

#925554 - 08/19/09 09:45 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: kellyfenton]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

One of those reports states that Pom's family had 20 cats and seven dogs?

Good gracious.

#925555 - 08/19/09 09:47 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: kellyfenton]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Quote:

To Pom,
Often pedantic, mostly humorless, but always relentless and passionate. All of those things because he seemed to TRULY care about the issues of the day. RIP old man.

I don't know about anyone else, but while Pom was, for the most part, pretty humorless, I did notice a little playfulness in his posts these past few weeks. To the point of, dare I say, being funny.

Enough to make me think that perhaps he was feeling better after his surgery. Anyone else notice this?

#925556 - 08/19/09 09:48 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: kellyfenton]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

I have to admit, despite anger and sorrow, that I also feel a little bad for the 5 puppies that were presumably part of the pack of dogs, which were euthanized along with the rest.

But, I am more concerned for the 20 cats and 7 dogs that are left behind from the Pom household. I'll be making a donation toward their upkeep until proper homes can be found.

#925557 - 08/19/09 09:55 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: chiknbut]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

In defense of those who spent the majority of their time on this board battling with him, he took it and gave it right back. He knew this was all just a silly game. I doubt he even had any personal ill will against their likes.

BINGO! That's how I felt about him.

Heck, I'll bet we could have had some interesting discussions about Bulgakov over an AB's beef-and-pork sammich, fries and a red cream.

#925558 - 08/19/09 10:13 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: RManFlint]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Quote:

Quote:

BINGO! That's how I felt about him.

Heck, I'll bet we could have had some interesting discussions about Bulgakov over an AB's beef-and-pork sammich, fries and a red cream.

Not so much.

#925559 - 08/19/09 10:16 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

So many questions.

No [censored].

How can a dozen feral dogs run around loose? I guess there aren't any ranchers in that part of Georgia. They have a habit of taking care of feral dogs real quick.

#925560 - 08/19/09 10:20 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: RManFlint]
jayhawk96 Offline
Baby Jay

I haven't been able to stop thinking (and even dreaming) about this. The cruel irony of how 2 pet lovers died is gutting me.

#925561 - 08/19/09 10:22 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jayhawk96]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Strange... night before last I had a dream many of us were gathering for Pom's funeral. I guess my subconscious has an image, however erroneous, of what some of you look like.

It was a beautiful service.

#925562 - 08/19/09 10:24 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Word, copper. I was thinking that if I'd been the poms I would have planted a whole row of Castor Beans. Or not gone outside without a tazer.

"Sometimes the pack mentality can play a role. One dog gets aroused and that revs up his buddies," Goldfarb said.

All it takes is one Alpha male in a pack of otherwise docile feral dogs.

There are a number of packs of feral dogs in KCK, especially around the woods in Argentine and Armourdale. I had a pack of about six rather large dogs coming at my when I was getting in my car about five years ago.

Like the quote says, all a pack needs is one vicious leader.

#925563 - 08/19/09 03:26 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: RManFlint]
jayhawklaw Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Free State Lobby
I just ran across this thread--haven't been around much lately. I am terribly saddened by the story, as the rest of us are. Just awful, awful news.

Thoughts and prayers.

#925564 - 08/19/09 03:42 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jayhawklaw]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Tragic news to say the least.

Don't be a stranger over here.

#925565 - 08/19/09 03:48 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
jayhawklaw Offline
Baby Jay

I posted on election night that I probably would wait for the first 100 days of the Obama administration before coming back around.

It's been wonderful. I do miss the cast of characters sometimes, though.

I never met Pom and my low-brow take on politics was probably beneath his mention most of the time, but I still feel a great sense of loss over this story.

#925566 - 08/19/09 04:13 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jayhawklaw]
MrSaturday Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

All it takes is one Alpha male in a pack of otherwise docile feral dogs.

Dogs are very similar to people, only they are more direct. Usually their alpha is a genuine alpha, and is actually leading his mob. In people, they are usually actual cowards who hide behind a microphone or a radio program, inciting the weak-willed and easily led. I think they ought to figure out which dog started all this and name him "Glenn Beck" or "Rush Limbaugh" before they euthanize him. I think Pomeranian would approve.

#925567 - 08/19/09 04:18 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: MrSaturday]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Knock it off, shades.

#925568 - 08/19/09 04:25 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
MrSaturday Offline
Prairie Warrior

I'm not shades, I'm Mr Saturday. Nice to meet you.

#925569 - 08/19/09 04:44 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: MrSaturday]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Welcome back shades. You were missed in your prolonged multi-hour absence.

#925570 - 08/19/09 04:47 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
MrSaturday Offline
Prairie Warrior

Sorry...not shades.

#925571 - 08/19/09 04:59 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WaHawk04]
xapaktep Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Ukraine
This is terrible news. Condolences to the family. "Words matter."

#925572 - 08/19/09 05:09 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: MrSaturday]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Ah yes... I've now read your 16 posts. Not shades. Like I said, don't be a stranger around here.

#925573 - 08/19/09 05:12 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
kellyfenton Offline
Lawrence Legend

Not one Beckett or Though Police reference.

#925574 - 08/19/09 07:57 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: kellyfenton]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Not one Beckett or Though Police reference.

Nor even one brief allusion to Kafka's obsessive bureaucratic nightmare? Ask Chikn to point the impostor toward the door.

[For clarification for Chikn, this is satire. It's a joke.]

Edited by shades (08/20/09 01:20 AM)

#925575 - 08/19/09 08:03 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: shades]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Quote:

...obsessive bureaucratic nightmare

Take it easy on the health insrance companies, dude.

#925576 - 08/19/09 08:19 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: shades]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Quote:

Quote:

Not one Beckett or Thought Police reference.

Nor even one brief allusion to Kafka's obsessive bureaucratic nightmare? Ask Chikn to point the impostor toward the door.

Don't tell me what to do, shades. Quite authoritarian today, aren't we? And on Pom's dedication thread?

How quaint.

(That one's for you, Pom)

#925577 - 08/19/09 08:35 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: chiknbut]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Don't sweat it, Chikn. My request would have been ruled "illegitimate" in any event.

#925578 - 08/19/09 09:23 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: shades]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Typical shades. Gotta have the last word.

And here I thought it was wise of you to stay off this thread.

Giving you too much credit, I'm afraid.

#925579 - 08/19/09 09:39 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: chiknbut]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

I assume that Wisco and Fenton were trying to lighten the mood with their satiric barbs above. Were they wrong, too?

Why not lighten up, man? I don't believe anyone has been disrespectful to Pom on this thread.

I commend you for the thoughtful post you wrote on Page 2 here.

#925580 - 08/19/09 09:40 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: shades]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Again, gotta have the last word, don't you?

#925581 - 08/20/09 05:44 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: chiknbut]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

#925582 - 08/20/09 05:58 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: Geezer]
georgiahawk Offline
John Brown

This is a terrible story. Pom will be missed.

#925583 - 08/20/09 10:05 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: shades]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Don't sweat it, Chikn. My request would have been ruled "illegitimate" in any event.

Give it a break, Shades. Please.

#925584 - 08/20/09 10:30 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: RManFlint]
jayhawklaw Offline
Baby Jay

I could not stop thinking about what the final moments of Pom's life must have been like. Finding his wife dead and then the terror and agony that surely followed.

Can't shake the thought. Absolutely terrible.

#925585 - 08/20/09 10:50 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jayhawklaw]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

I'd almost have to think that, after finding his wife dead or dying, he didn't have much objection to going, too, if he couldn't save her.

And yes, I probably should have limited my prior comments on this thread to Pom, even though I was not attacking anyone herein. Plenty of other threads.

#925586 - 08/20/09 12:08 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
OREAD Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

This is horrible news if it was Pom or not, and I pray it was not. The fault here lies with humans as usual, every single bit of it. Those dogs did not just materialize out of thin air and start attacking people. People dump unwanted pets by the roadside or move out and just leave them. When left to their own devices, they revert to wolfpack behavior in order to survive. I think anyone who owns a dog should be forced by law, a legal requirement for ownership to have a microchip put in, and be held fully accountable for any actions of said pet. People are a$$holes, not the dogs.

#925587 - 08/20/09 01:30 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: OREAD]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Unfortunately I think there's no doubt that this was indeed Pom.

His poor family.

#925588 - 08/20/09 04:17 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jayhawklaw]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Quote:

I could not stop thinking about what the final moments of Pom's life must have been like. Finding his wife dead and then the terror and agony that surely followed.

Can't shake the thought. Absolutely terrible.

Quote:

I haven't been able to stop thinking...about this. The cruel irony of how 2 pet lovers died is gutting me.

Me either, too.

#925589 - 08/20/09 05:32 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: chiknbut]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
I just read about this late last night, and have been thinking about him and his wife all day long. I have to admit, most of my exchanges on the board with him were usually confrontational, and I pretty much decided several years ago I would never like him. We were pretty much polar oposites on nearly every position.
After reading that he was trying to save his wife, and was a good family man, also a lover of animals, I realized being an internet board advisary is not knowing anybody, this was a man of substance, and would have liked and admired if I had known him.

#925590 - 08/20/09 07:47 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jammahawk]
kellyfenton Offline
Lawrence Legend

After reading that he was trying to save his wife, and was a good family man, also a lover of animals, I realized being an internet board advisary is not knowing anybody, this was a man of substance, and would have liked and admired if I had known him

Well said, jamma. I think we do lose sight of that truth.

#925591 - 08/21/09 01:42 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
YESiam Offline
Baby Jay

I would like to thank those who have posted kind words with regards to the passing of my father, Lothar Schweder. Many of you knew him as 'Pomeranian' and many of you referred to him as 'pom'. He often spoke of the KUsports.com 'Hawks on Politics' board and his many battles with those whose views that were different from his. I often followed what he had to say.

Some of you may not know why he chose to call himself 'Pomeranian'. I'm sure many of you know that he was born in Germany. He was from the region of Pomerania, formerly part of Germany, now part of northwestern Poland. I heard many stories of his youth and growing up in Nazi Germany, especially being apart of the Hitler Youth. He spoke of his intense hatred of the Nazis and the Hitler Youth. His stories of this time were always interesting.

In the late 50s, he came to the United States and for a time lived in New York. He then came to Lawrence and taught at KU in the mid 60s. He married my mother around this time. Shortly after they married, I was born. We then moved to Georgia and he taught at the University of Georgia. At this time my brother was born. Unfortunately, he and my mother divorced in the early 70s. He then headed back to Kansas where he worked for a time in Salina and then later moved to Hutchinson. He retired in the late 90s from the Hutchinson Correctional Facility. To those of you who are familiar with Hutchinson, he would often hang out at Carl's Bar, all the while, arguing about politics and talking about KU basketball with anyone who would listen, just like with you all here.

All this time, he and my mother continued to be good friends. Eventually, he bought a house in Lexington, Georgia and they remarried. Him and my mother owned 6 acres of wooded land. My father enjoyed creating trails through the woods and he and my mother would walk through them almost everyday with their many dogs. My mother was known for taking strays and giving them good homes before they remarried and my father continued this after they remarried.

While all of story will probably never be known, it seems that my mother was attacked by wild dogs and later died and then my father drove to check on her and he was also attacked. He died fighting. Unfortunately, the sheer number of dogs overwhelmed them.

I would like to thank those who he went back and forth with daily. I would also like to thank 'Shirley' who I spoke to on the phone the other day for taking the time to call and express his condolences. You guys meant a lot to him.

Sincerely,
York Schweder

#925592 - 08/21/09 02:20 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: YESiam]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

Thanks a lot for stopping by and we're all very sorry for your loss.

#925593 - 08/21/09 02:58 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: YESiam]
OREAD Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

I feel terrible about this and it has been heavy on my mind all day. I am so very sorry for your loss.

#925594 - 08/21/09 04:01 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: YESiam]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Thanks for the post. Good thoughts and prayers for you and your family during this difficult time.

#925595 - 08/21/09 05:32 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: YESiam]
unburnt_orange Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Thank you for sharing those remembrances of your father. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

#925596 - 08/21/09 06:56 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: YESiam]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Thanks for his story. Few leave a positive mark the way your father has on here.

#925597 - 08/21/09 07:03 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: YESiam]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Thank you so much, York, for coming here and telling us about your dad.

Pom mentioned Carl's Bar a couple of times that I can remember. Glad that we could serve as his online version of Carl's after he moved to Georgia.

When I first "met" your dad online, he talked about what a brilliant woman your mother was. His affection and esteem for her were obvious, even in an electronic medium. I was touched by his respect for your mother's professional abilities, as men of his generation were not necessarily reared to hold women with his level of appreciation. As a woman, I always gave kudos to your dad for that.

Listening to their story, it sounds like after spending so much time apart and then getting back together, your parents must have enjoyed a special sweetness in those years together in Georgia.

My heart goes out to you and your brother in this time of sadness.

#925598 - 08/21/09 07:10 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: YESiam]
kellyfenton Offline
Lawrence Legend

Thanks York and my sincerest condolences. My sister, it turns out, knew your father when she was working as a probation officer and taking kids up to Hutchinson. She had nothing but good things to say about him, including that he took his job seriously. That hardly surprises me. Pom appeared to be a very serious, very passionate man who we often tweaked for being TOO serious sometimes. But he clearly thought the very serious matters of the day required serious consideration.

#925599 - 08/21/09 08:19 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: YESiam]
bpritchett Offline
Phog Fanatic

I'm very sorry for your loss. Thank you for offering us some words in memory and condolence for the loss of a good board companion.

#925600 - 08/21/09 08:48 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: YESiam]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Thanks York, Well said.

Don't be a stranger. Feel free to stick around and help keep some of the crazies around here in line. We need all the help we can get.

#925601 - 08/21/09 10:17 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: YESiam]
jayhawklaw Offline
Baby Jay

I'm glad I took another look at this thread today. Thank you, York for sharing some of your memories of your parents with us. As you can no doubt tell, word of your parents' passing has greatly affected a lot of us.

If anything, the impact of losing pom in this little corner of the internet should tell you volumes about your father's ability to enrich the lives and experiences of those around him, even those with whom he disagreed.

I know I am not alone in keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers and I can only hope that the profound sense of loss around here can somehow be solace to you in remembering your father as a great and honorable man.

#925602 - 08/21/09 12:53 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: jayhawklaw]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Thank you, York. All my best to you and your family.

#925603 - 08/21/09 01:16 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: YESiam]
copperhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Thanks for the post, York. What an amazing story. You must be awfully proud of your folks.
I'm going to miss your dad on these silly pages. He was a hoot.
My deepest condolences to your family.

#925604 - 08/21/09 01:57 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: copperhead]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Holy cow...I don't pay attention to this board much, and I thought hasbeen's 'RIP pom" signature was for some run-of-the-mill banning or something.

My condolences, York.

#925605 - 08/21/09 02:36 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: JFish26]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Who downgraded this thread from 4 to 3 stars?

It is nice that York thought enough of his father's appreciation for this board to come and share a little with this digital family. I hope we are as deserving of that regard as we believe ourselves to be.

It's a sad time for those of us who knew Pom here, and I can only imagine the difficulty of these days for his family. My heart go out to them, with thanks for including us.

#925606 - 09/18/09 02:50 PM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
horton_hombre Offline
John Brown

Loc: Got a gal in Kalamazoo
Just learned of this horrific event from Seahawk. Even at this late date, let me add my condolences to the family and to the community on here. When I first appeared on the politics board, Pom was so gracious as to pay me a compliment on my writing style, which made me feel welcome here. I am saddened by his loss.

#925607 - 09/19/09 06:33 AM Re: I'll admit that I'm ashamed of myself today. [Re: seahawk]
tabortechHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: central kansas
You should be.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Preview