Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#901439 - 07/13/09 10:31 AM Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!!
supermario15 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: KCK
Greinke's numbers far surpass Halladay's minus the wins

#901440 - 07/13/09 10:34 AM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: supermario15]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

Greinke's numbers far surpass Halladay's minus the wins

This is really unfortunate news. Greinke's the best pitcher in baseball right now. Halladay is a more popular name, and he might not be in the AL much longer. This stinks, especially with Hillman on the staff. If he's got any balls whatsoever, he should walk. This is a travesty.

Oh...wait...this is the All-Star Game we're talking about? Then meh, who cares. I mean, I wish it was Zack but c'est la vie.

#901441 - 07/13/09 10:37 AM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: JFish26]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: On the sofa
LOL

but Fish, you gotta understand where sm15 is coming from.

ZG is the only bright spot for the rest of the year.

#901442 - 07/13/09 10:41 AM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Absolutely. And it's a bit of a shame that he won't get the attention that comes with starting the game and facing Pujols. Let's be motherfucking furious about it until real baseball starts again, and then forget it ever happened...does that work for everyone?

FVCK YOU Joe Maddon!

#901443 - 07/13/09 10:57 AM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: JFish26]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
If Halladay pitched for the Royals and Grienke pitched for the Jays would you still be pissed? Don't get me wrong I think Grienke deserves to start but Maddon has the pressure of having the entire AL want his All Star team to win the game. Halladay has been there before. I too might start Halladay over Grienke.

#901444 - 07/13/09 10:58 AM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: larryb]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

And you would be starting the slightly inferior pitcher.

#901445 - 07/13/09 10:59 AM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: JFish26]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Says you. You very well may be correct. My guess is Maddon knows a bit more about managing than you or I do.

#901446 - 07/13/09 11:02 AM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: larryb]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Well, if Maddon considers Halladay the superior pitcher right now, he indeed knows less than I do. And unlike a typical situation, there's no inside information he's privy to because of his role on the team...it's not like he's been around these guys. Greinke has been the best pitcher in baseball this year.

#901447 - 07/13/09 11:10 AM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: JFish26]
larryb Offline
Gutter

I don't dispute Grienke may have been the best pitcher in baseball this year or that he shouldn't start the All-Star game. If you want to go by era then of course you need to include April but if you took April away then Halladay has been the better pitcher. Sure Grienke is having a better July too but I am not so sure Halladay is a bad choice to start the game. Deserving or not. I too would not be happy if I were a Royals fan. Grienke is as deserving to be the starter as Halladay is. [censored] happens and then you have an All-Star game.

#901448 - 07/13/09 11:12 AM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: larryb]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

So if you take away a third of the season, and then another small slice, Halladay might be the better pitcher. What if you take away Halladay's 8 best starts? Then what? The point is: you can't do that. If the best pitcher in the league is supposed to start the All-Star Game, it should have been Greinke.

#901449 - 07/13/09 11:27 AM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: larryb]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: On the sofa
Quote:

My guess is Maddon knows a bit more about managing than you or I do.

Funny - last winter I said a similar statement to Fish. Just replace Maddon with Moore and add [being a general manager]

I was wrong.

#901450 - 07/13/09 11:32 AM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

The difference is that Maddon is actually competent at what he does. I just don't think this falls under the topic of good or bad managing. Choosing who starts an All-Star Game isn't a managing decision. It's pure player evaluation. And Maddon is wrong if he thinks Halladay is having a better season than Greinke. Now, maybe Maddon knows Greinke's been better, but thinks Halladay should start for other reasons...it's his turn, respect the veteran, might not be in the AL much longer. If so, then whatever...I disagree, but fine. My problem would be if he actually believes Halladay has had the better season because Greinke has "lost" two more games.

#901451 - 07/13/09 12:39 PM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: JFish26]
jamboslice Offline
John Brown

Loc: Overland Park, KS
What I think is going through Maddon's head is, "who has a better chance at winning me this game" instead of "who has had the better resume and deserves it more." I have both of these guys on my fantasy team and I might be mistaken but I think Halladay has been the better pitcher recently (after he got off the DL). If that is his thought process do you blame him Fish?

#901452 - 07/13/09 12:50 PM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: jamboslice]
jayheel Offline
Under New Management

Loc: Spencer Basement
Game in in STL, no DH. Grienke should get the start.

#901453 - 07/13/09 01:43 PM Re: Maddon is a MORON!!!!!!! [Re: jamboslice]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

What I think is going through Maddon's head is, "who has a better chance at winning me this game" instead of "who has had the better resume and deserves it more." I have both of these guys on my fantasy team and I might be mistaken but I think Halladay has been the better pitcher recently (after he got off the DL). If that is his thought process do you blame him Fish?

Since Halladay got off the DL, his game scores are 59, 39, and 55. Greinke's last three starts registered at 54, 47, and 53. Those numbers are so close that there's no meaningful difference. So give it to the guy who has not only made all of his starts, but also happens to have been the best pitcher in baseball this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview