ClintNormore Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: St. Louis

He likes dogs a lot.

#901061 - 07/13/09 08:00 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: ClintNormore]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
I saw him Friday night stumbling. Good thing he wasn't driving anywhere.

#901062 - 07/13/09 08:41 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: larryb]
kellyfenton Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Drunk? Perhaps. Fool? Hardly. Why, I once saw him use six pitchers to throw four pitches. Plus, having his pitcher batting eighth. Why, that's friggin' brilliant!

#901063 - 07/13/09 08:56 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: kellyfenton]
larryb Offline
Gutter

I should have said was drunk and acting foolish. There is a book by George Will titled "Men at Work". A chapter in the book is "dedicated" to Tony LaRussa. I agree that he is hardly a fool - both on and off the field. I will say on Friday night he was drunk and was acting foolish.

#901064 - 07/13/09 09:43 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: larryb]
kellyfenton Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Gutter, did you not pick up on my dripping sarcasm? I think that, while LaRussa certainly knows baseball, the genius label is overworked.

#901065 - 07/13/09 09:55 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: kellyfenton]
larryb Offline
Gutter

I was 50/50 in regards to picking up on your sarcasm. He has managed in an unconventional way at times but I figure he is just as good if not better than any other manager in MLB. The genius label is indeed overworked. Our High School had a manager named Ron Klien. He was considered a genius in local circles. He coached some USA junior level baseball in his hey day. Then my High School hired a guy named Mike Napoleon and he is considered more of a baseball god than Klien was. The point of that being many managers are labeled geniuses when they are successful.

#901066 - 07/13/09 10:35 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: larryb]
kellyfenton Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Give me a couple of consistent pitchers and five or six reliable hitters and I can probably win. So managing is overrated. Now at the high school level, I constantly see absolute idiocy among people who are supposed to know baseball. Say you're down three runs and you have a runner at second in the final inning. I don't know how many times I've seen coaches take a risk in trying to score the runner on a base hit or send him to third on a long fly when, as everyone else understands, that runner doesn't matter at all. Crap like that all the time. I just sit there with my scorebook and smack my forehead with the palm of my hand.

#901067 - 07/13/09 11:34 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: larryb]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: Frost Arena
I thought yesterday when Pinella moved pitcher Marshall out to LF for a batter (then put him back to pitcher to get the next two outs) that LaRussa brought up the pinch hitter simply to try and make Lou look stupid (didn't work as the pinch hitter struck out).

Also, what was with home plate ump last night? Have a hot date? Three borderline at best strike three calls in the 9th inning of a 2-run game btw big rivals. Can't say I've ever seen that before.

#901068 - 07/13/09 11:40 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
kellyfenton Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Yeah, I read where LaRussa was real complimentary of Pinella for pulling that trick with his pitcher. Even told the Cubs' first-base coach to tell him so.
Definitely several bad strikes called in the bottom of the ninth.

#901069 - 07/13/09 12:43 PM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: kellyfenton]
jamboslice Offline
John Brown

Loc: Overland Park, KS
Managing is definitely overrated. Other people crunch numbers together for you and you use them to put a lineup together, and in Hillman's case, completely screw it up. Bell might have been worse though. How many times do you throw Jimmy Gobble in there before he is DFA?

#901070 - 07/13/09 01:44 PM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: jamboslice]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

Managing is definitely overrated. Other people crunch numbers together for you and you use them to put a lineup together, and in Hillman's case, completely screw it up. Bell might have been worse though. How many times do you throw Jimmy Gobble in there before he is DFA?

What gives you the impression anyone with the Royals is giving Hillman crunched numbers?

#901071 - 07/13/09 03:26 PM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
ClintNormore Offline
Big Dipper

Quote:

Also, what was with home plate ump last night? Have a hot date? Three borderline at best strike three calls in the 9th inning of a 2-run game btw big rivals. Can't say I've ever seen that before.

I guess he felt like he had to make it up to the Cardinals after the great Angel Hernandez rang up Schumaker (tieing run) with no appeal in the 9th Saturday Afternoon.

Several borderline strike calls were made against both sides last night. It all evened out though IMO.

#901072 - 07/13/09 03:28 PM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: ClintNormore]
larryb Offline
Gutter

The better team deserved to win last night and they did.

#901073 - 07/14/09 11:06 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: ClintNormore]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

Quote:

I guess he felt like he had to make it up to the Cardinals after the great Angel Hernandez rang up Schumaker (tieing run) with no appeal in the 9th Saturday Afternoon.

Several borderline strike calls were made against both sides last night. It all evened out though IMO.

Schumacker didn't seem to mind.

But honestly, what did you think of the three called strike three calls? They were all borderline at best and, again, I've never seen three called strike three calls to end a game...ever.

#901074 - 07/14/09 11:17 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
ClintNormore Offline
Big Dipper

Quote:

Schumacker didn't seem to mind.

But honestly, what did you think of the three called strike three calls? They were all borderline at best and, again, I've never seen three called strike three calls to end a game...ever.

They were too close to take with 2 Strikes. Borderline called strikes went both ways in that game.

#901075 - 07/14/09 11:19 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: ClintNormore]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Gotcha.

#901076 - 07/14/09 11:21 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Anyone who takes a called 3rd strike in the bottom on the ninth is a weak pussy.

#901077 - 07/14/09 11:28 AM Re: Tony LaRussa is a drunk fool [Re: ClintNormore]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Oh ya....and Reed Johnson trapped that ball. See, I can admit when a bad call benefits my team. No biggee...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview