Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#897564 - 07/06/09 05:33 PM Cubs sold for 900M
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
That is a lot of cheese. Will be interesting to see how a non tribune owned Cubs team is run. The big question may be is Wrigley torn down and replaced? We will see.

#897565 - 07/07/09 01:22 AM Re: Cubs sold for 900M [Re: jayhwk01]
kujerseygirl Offline
Julia Ward Howe

Loc: Abilene, Texas
I think Cubs fans might just riot if that happened.

#897566 - 07/07/09 08:59 AM Re: Cubs sold for 900M [Re: jayhwk01]
jamboslice Offline
John Brown

Loc: Overland Park, KS
Quote:

That is a lot of cheese. Will be interesting to see how a non tribune owned Cubs team is run. The big question may be is Wrigley torn down and replaced? We will see.

I've been to Fenway twice and that place deserves to be torn down, why not Wrigley? Maybe I'm just not that sentimental about artifacts.

#897567 - 07/07/09 11:01 AM Re: Cubs sold for 900M [Re: jamboslice]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
Bottom line is that Ricketts was made to have some of the investors that were not in his "group" - become members of his group. As far as Wrigley is concerned, that was one of the stipulations in the sale. There are ZERO plans to build a new stadium. MAJOR (estimated 400 million) renovations are to be made. This folks could translate to the Cubs not playing in Wrigley for an extended period of time begining next season. That's about the extent of the "insider" knowledge that I have. Well, maybe that's not so true. There is also a very good chance that the Cubs will have their own private cable network in the next season or the season after that.

#897568 - 07/07/09 11:28 AM Re: Cubs sold for 900M [Re: larryb]
Topcitykid10 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Kansas
Just got bleacher seats for a game in August. This will be my second game there, hopefully we'll bust out the W flags

#897569 - 07/07/09 11:37 AM Re: Cubs sold for 900M [Re: Topcitykid10]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Quote:

Just got bleacher seats for a game in August. This will be my second game there, hopefully we'll bust out the W flags

Send me a pm before you come to Chicago. If I am going to the same game - I will buy you a beer at Murphy's.

#897570 - 07/07/09 04:31 PM Re: Cubs sold for 900M [Re: larryb]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

The Miller Light is the best youve ever had there. Simply heavenly.

#897571 - 07/07/09 04:32 PM Re: Cubs sold for 900M [Re: Hawklin]
larryb Offline
Gutter

In a warm flat watered down piss sort of way. Right? My mistake! You meant at Murphy's - I meant at Wrigley.

Edited by larryb (07/07/09 04:34 PM)

#897572 - 07/07/09 05:12 PM NOT SO FAST MY FRIENDS..... [Re: larryb]
larryb Offline
Gutter

#897573 - 07/07/09 05:25 PM Re: NOT SO FAST MY FRIENDS..... [Re: larryb]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
So the handshake of the Tribune is worthless I guess. That is business I suppose. It will be interesting to see if the first buyer issues some kind of statement. The plot thickens!

#897574 - 07/07/09 05:32 PM Re: NOT SO FAST MY FRIENDS..... [Re: jayhwk01]
larryb Offline
Gutter

I don't think the Utay deal was made up but I find it intersting that all of a sudden it popped up. The original "leaders" long ago had Zell deny their bid. I think Zell expected a counter bid and they said nope not going to do it. We are out. I believe Zell has misgivings now because that would have been a deal that would have been done and over with by now. The whole thing is a fiasco .

#897575 - 07/08/09 07:40 AM Re: NOT SO FAST MY FRIENDS..... [Re: larryb]
ClintNormore Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: St. Louis
That's a LOT of money for eternal failure, disappointment, and obnoxious hype.

#897576 - 07/08/09 08:02 AM Re: Cubs sold for 900M [Re: jamboslice]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Quote:

Quote:

I've been to Fenway twice and that place deserves to be torn down, why not Wrigley? Maybe I'm just not that sentimental about artifacts.

I've been to both places, and they both suck in terms of watching a baseball game. But watching a baseball game in those places is secondary, it's all about being a tourist attraction.

#897577 - 07/08/09 08:10 AM Re: Cubs sold for 900M [Re: jammahawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Clint - I don't see how it can be a good investment no matter how you choose to describe it and break it down.

jamma - I have been to both Fenway and Wrigley as well as many other ball parks. I am sorry you feel both places suck in terms of watching games. I couldn't disagree more. In terms of the stadiums amenities - I can agree both places suck but in terms of sitting in the stands and watching a game I feel Wrigley and Fenway are unmatched except for maybe Yankee Stadium. While I can't disagree with your saying Wrigley and Fenway are tourist attractions - well there is a reason why they are. Can you tell me what it is?

#897578 - 07/08/09 08:24 AM Re: Cubs sold for 900M [Re: larryb]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
I've never had a more uncomfortable seat than I had in Fenway, the seat I had at Wrigley didn't have a sight line that faced the infield.
They are tourist attractions, not because they are a great place to view a game, they are places to go to soak up tradition, and that isn't a bad thing.
If some of the other clubs not destroyed their old stadiums, I'm not so sure they wouldn't be the same retro attractions that Wrigley and Fenway are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview