Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#890803 - 06/30/09 07:35 AM Re: So, Report Card Time [Re: JFish26]
georgiahawk Offline
John Brown

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Out of his trades and FA signings, the only one I can think of that helped the Royals was Meche.

Meche aquisition sucked balls. Meche sucks balls. Highway robbery at 11MM per year.

For what it's worth, he's provided $17.2MM and $21.6MM of value in his two years in KC. He's already at $9.9MM this year.

Return on the Meche investment is not a problem.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1089&position=P

It seems to me that the Royals can spend $55MM over 5 years in much better fashion than Meche. If you don't believe me, ask GM's around the league. Meche is content with his bank account; cares very little about posting W's - - as evidenced by his best year being 14 wins as our ace. He's a 3rd starter at best on an average team.

To your point on the tiered contract, they should have back-loaded it. A guy like Meche isn't worth crap after he gets paid. What's his problem now? Tired arm?

#890804 - 06/30/09 09:32 AM Re: So, Report Card Time [Re: georgiahawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

It seems to me that the Royals can spend $55MM over 5 years in much better fashion than Meche. If you don't believe me, ask GM's around the league. Meche is content with his bank account; cares very little about posting W's - - as evidenced by his best year being 14 wins as our ace. He's a 3rd starter at best on an average team.

To your point on the tiered contract, they should have back-loaded it. A guy like Meche isn't worth crap after he gets paid. What's his problem now? Tired arm?

Are you just trying to bait me at this point?

Wins and losses are totally, completely, 100% irrelevant as to evaluating a pitcher's performance. Let's play a game...spot the critical part of your sentence:

"as evidenced by his best year being 14 wins on our team"

Is it:

A: "his best year"
B: "14 wins"
C: "on our team"

The answer, of course, is C. It's the freaking Royals! Of course starting pitchers aren't going to win many games! Donny Z. is having one of the greatest years of a starting pitcher in the last two decades and he'll struggle to win 20 games on this partial-birth abortion of a baseball team.

And, even assuming what you say is true: he does only care about his bank account. Fine! If that makes him a very good pitcher (which he is), I could care less what motivates him. Indeed, money is a wonderful thing to motivate a player, especially Meche. Why? First, he'll be more than halfway through his contract after this season...he's gotta chase another one! And second, because--and think through this one--what would happen if a Kansas City Royals player was motivated by winning? Terrible, unspeakable things, that's what.

And people are very quick to throw around terms like "a 3rd starter on an average team." This is just wrong. The Marlins are .500, and their third-best pitcher is something called Ricky Nolasco. The Mets are a game below .500 and their third-best starter is the ghost of Livan Hernandez. The Twins are .500 and their third-best starter is restauranteur (I assume) Glen Perkins.

Meche is a fairly outstanding pitcher...definitely a guy who can start two games in a World Series. And, while I can't just pick up the phone and talk to GM's, I'm fairly certain most of them would take Meche's contract in a heartbeat. Oliver Perez is making $13MM. Carlos Silva is making $12MM. Tim Hudson is making $13MM. Derek Lowe is in the first year of a 4-year, $60MM deal. Carlos Zambrano is making $17.75MM. Ryan Dempster is in the first year of a 4-year, $52MM deal. Ted Lilly is making $12MM. Jason Schmidt is making $12MM.

That's just a sampling. Meche is probably better than every single one of those guys right now. As far as the class of pitchers making Meche money, he's near the top. That makes him a terrific signing. Thank GOD he's motivated by money. If he was motivated by winning, he never would have signed here.

And, yeah...the tired arm thing? That'll happen when you have a nightmarishly bad training staff.

For as harsh as I am on Dayton Moore's moves at the major league level, Meche is a bright spot. He's an excellent pitcher happy to be in Kansas City who is a relative bargain for the next two-and-a-half seasons.

#890805 - 06/30/09 09:44 AM Re: So, Report Card Time [Re: JFish26]
georgiahawk Offline
John Brown

Quote:

Are you just trying to bait me at this point?

ding, ding, ding!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview