Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#885974 - 06/22/09 10:46 AM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: supermario15]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

Quote:

How did you ever guess? Still hitting with power and walking more than he strikes out in Omaha...

then he does'nt fit the Royals mold of K'ing more then you walk and not working counts

This made me laugh.

#885975 - 06/22/09 10:47 AM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: sevenyearhawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

It's not only about money, it's also about attitude and commitment ...

Is Glass around more now, honestly I never pay attention.

When Vince Naimoli sold out to the Stuart Sternberg group ... the Rays went from night to freaking day.

Just remember this, folks: sh!t rolls down hill

Yes, because if something works in one place, it works everywhere.

Hands-on ownership isn't a necessary condition for success. Competent management at both the personnel and game levels is.

#885976 - 06/22/09 10:53 AM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: JFish26]
KUshark Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Mulletville!
Petro made a point as the season started that he thought there was a decent chance that the Royals would fall back this season before again stepping forward the following season. I guess it would be kind of like the Rays did in 07 before busting out last year. Of course, that would mean they would have the talent in place to take a step forward which might not be the case now. He also though that bringing in the Blue Jays ex-manager (Gibbons?) could be a fall back if things went way south this year. I think something big needs to be done.

#885977 - 06/22/09 10:56 AM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: KUshark]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

The Rays-Royals comparisons were not good at all...KC doesn't have the organizational talent Tampa had...not even close.

However, the talent level required to win the AL Central is significantly lower than the AL East.

#885978 - 06/22/09 10:59 AM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: JFish26]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

However, the talent level required to win the AL Central is significantly lower than the AL East.

BINGO!

Which is why Royals fans should be really p!ssed ... if the Rays can win the East, there's no freaking excuses for the Royals to not even be competitive - honestly!

#885979 - 06/22/09 11:00 AM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: sevenyearhawk]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

Loc: TJ's Fanny Pack
Quote:

there's no freaking excuses for the Royals to not even be competitive - honestly!

There's plenty of excuses. Unfortunately, none of them are very good.

#885980 - 06/22/09 12:32 PM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: sevenyearhawk]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Quote:

Quote:

BINGO!

Which is why Royals fans should be really p!ssed ... if the Rays can win the East, there's no freaking excuses for the Royals to not even be competitive - honestly!

When the season started I thought they could compete, at a minimum make a run at .500. When I thought that, Gordon, Crisp, Soria, Aviles were all healthy and thought to be ready for solid seasons.
Had I known Teahen, Maier, Bloomquist, and a hurt Soria would be playing instead, I would have predicted a 100 loss season.
Can anyone here honestly wonder why they stink this year with the lineup they send out every night. It is at best a AAAA lineup.
The Royals record is a telling indictment on the depth of the organization. The major league roster has talent but it is so thin, so thin that it can not sustain injuries. There is very little help available that is major league ready, so minor league promotions would have very little effect. The only hope to make the team stronger this season would be to trade current impact player on the major league roster, or to trade some of the blue chip prospects in "A" ball. If the Royals did do that,fans in KC would be filling their pants.

#885981 - 06/22/09 01:13 PM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: jammahawk]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
The problems is....well you have....ummmm.....forget it's just the Royals. Ugh.

#885982 - 06/22/09 06:13 PM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: JFish26]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Overlook Hotel
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't kid yourselves ... as long as Glass is the owner, the Royals will always stink ...

What he said.

Disagree. Ownership is not the problem right now. The money's being spent...the old Royals never would have drafted Hosmer and Moustakas, let alone Melville and Meyers.

This team just wasn't ready.

the money is being spent on what? And two prospects aren't going to make the Royals a contender. The organization has needed for years new people in the scouting and developing areas. Luke Hochevar hasn't done a whole lot, yet we could have had Tim Lincecum. Maybe it'll swap, I don't know. But yes, ownership has and continues to be a problem. As a matter of fact, I recall seeing a SI poll where they asked MLB players who is the one owner they wouldn't want to play for. The overwhelming winner was David Glass.

#885983 - 06/22/09 07:18 PM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: jaihaux]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't kid yourselves ... as long as Glass is the owner, the Royals will always stink ...

What he said.

Disagree. Ownership is not the problem right now. The money's being spent...the old Royals never would have drafted Hosmer and Moustakas, let alone Melville and Meyers.

This team just wasn't ready.

the money is being spent on what? And two prospects aren't going to make the Royals a contender. The organization has needed for years new people in the scouting and developing areas. Luke Hochevar hasn't done a whole lot, yet we could have had Tim Lincecum. Maybe it'll swap, I don't know. But yes, ownership has and continues to be a problem. As a matter of fact, I recall seeing a SI poll where they asked MLB players who is the one owner they wouldn't want to play for. The overwhelming winner was David Glass.

The Royals have beefed up the scouting and development areas. The Royals have spent a lot of money in their minor league system and in Latin America, areas that were long neglected by the previous regime.
Credit Luke H. to the old regime.
MLB ballplayers probably didn't want to play for Glass because Glass was the leader in trying to control salaries, pushing for revenue sharing.
Every ballplayer that said he wouldn't want to play for Glass eventually would if the money were offered. They are sports whores after all.

#885984 - 06/23/09 11:03 AM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: jammahawk]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Overlook Hotel
Hochevar was an Allard Baird pick?

#885985 - 06/24/09 07:00 AM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: jaihaux]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Hochevar was an Allard Baird pick?

Hoch was a pick of what was left of the Baird regime. Dayton Moore was still employed by the Braves when Hoch was picked, but began with the Royals soon after. Moustakas was Moore's first pick as a Royal.

#885986 - 06/24/09 09:52 AM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: jammahawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I think what happened is that Moore had already been hired, but part of the deal was that he couldn't be in on the draft since he knew too much about Atlanta's scouting and everything.

#885987 - 06/25/09 08:49 AM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: JFish26]
supermario15 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: KCK
speaking of Hoch the D'Backs game not withstanding he has been very good his 2nd time up in KC this year

#885988 - 06/25/09 12:56 PM Re: Only Trey Hillman [Re: supermario15]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

speaking of Hoch the D'Backs game not withstanding he has been very good his 2nd time up in KC this year

He certainly was last night. Too bad he didn't get the win.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Preview