Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#883420 - 06/17/09 08:00 AM Slammy Sosa
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
How soon before he is back in the Dominican - permanently? The fool actually believes he will be elected to the Hall of Fame.

I call for Butt Seligs head. The guy either knew exactly what was going on with the Bonds, McGwires, Sosas, and let it happen or he was too stupid to know what was going on. Either way, there is NO WAY that man should still be the Commisioner and he should go to jail for being a fraud.

#883421 - 06/17/09 08:03 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: larryb]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
You knew, I knew, Selig knew, everyone knew these guys were on roids. The most insulting part to me was, they thought they needed to turn the game into a homerun derby in order to bring people back to the game.

#883422 - 06/17/09 08:05 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: larryb]
digitalkookie Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: ATX
Quote:

The fool actually believes he will be elected to the Hall of Fame.

and he will "calmly wait" for the call...LOL

#883423 - 06/17/09 08:11 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: digitalkookie]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
Sometimes I wonder why this is such a big deal.

#883424 - 06/17/09 08:15 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: Geezer]
digitalkookie Offline
Big Dipper

Quote:

which part isn't a big deal geez??

the taking of illegal drugs, the lying to congress or the fact that it negates an entire era of baseball?? just curious

(the list goes on, but i'll stop there)

#883425 - 06/17/09 08:33 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: digitalkookie]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

As a baseball fan I enjoyed watching them hit the bejesus out of the ball. I also don't hold anything against them for using the drugs. They worked and they were worth millions to some of them. Awfully tempting.
Unfortunately I don't think we will ever find out who was clean and who was dirty.

#883426 - 06/17/09 08:56 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: Geezer]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Overlook Hotel
In other news ... a bear crapped in the woods.

#883427 - 06/17/09 08:57 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: Geezer]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

It's not. Just a bunch of sanctimonious blowhards in the media wanting to stick their moral dicks in the corpses of millionaires' reputations.

#883428 - 06/17/09 08:59 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: JFish26]
digitalkookie Offline
Big Dipper

you're going to make a wonderful attorney fish

#883429 - 06/17/09 09:03 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: digitalkookie]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

You're concerned with the lying to Congress, which: bad, of course. But Congress never should have been involved.

And I think we can move past the whole era being tainted thing. For one, baseball players have always cheated. Always. And secondly, if the majority of players were using, wasn't the playing field level anyway? I just don't buy this being such a jaw-dropping issue.

#883430 - 06/17/09 09:16 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: JFish26]
digitalkookie Offline
Big Dipper

Quote:

But Congress never should have been involved.

perhaps not, however, they were. extremely audacious behavior on the part of those who testified.

if the era is not tainted, how will it be remembered historically??

i honestly do not feel as though the field was level...yes, many were using PED's, however, its a pretty broad stroke to suggest the level of competetion was in any way even

jaw dropping?? not so much. disappointing?? sure

#883431 - 06/17/09 09:28 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: digitalkookie]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Yeah, in a vacuum I rather it would not have happened. It just doesn't strike me as a giant scarlet "S" on the game. And I just cannot stand the media's hyperbole and blustering over it.

#883432 - 06/17/09 09:33 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: JFish26]
digitalkookie Offline
Big Dipper

i believe the scarlet letter was "A", however, if you were referring to "s"teroids, i can let it slide...lol

#883433 - 06/17/09 10:06 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: digitalkookie]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
I disagree with Fish on roids being a big deal. It tainted the game IMHO. It is cheating on a completely different level than sharpening your spikes or throwing a spit ball. I do agree with Fish that Congress should have never ever ever been involved. They have or at least should be paying way more attention to real problems.

That said let's talk Sosa. Gutter says he should not be in. Why? Because he corked a bat or Jose Canseco says he did roids? Do I think Sammy did roids...yes. My problem is the same as yours. Nobody has yet prroduced one substantiated testimony, proof, or positive test to prove anything. You can't because one does not exist or at least no known test exists. Amongst the ones to really argue about Bonds, Palmeiro, Mac to me Sosa has zip, zero, zilch proof to keep him out.

#883434 - 06/17/09 10:11 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: jayhwk01]
digitalkookie Offline
Big Dipper

01...was it not just revealed that his (sosa) name was on the list of 104 (?) players that tested positive??

#883435 - 06/17/09 10:15 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: digitalkookie]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

I have not heard that. If true then it's a whole new argument.

#883436 - 06/17/09 10:17 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: jayhwk01]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

So if a pitcher on steroids threw to a hitter on steroids, and the ball was caught by a player on steroids who threw across the diamond to another player on steoids, the game is tainted? And this is somehow worse than the amphetamine abuse of generations past?

I just have a very difficult time getting worked up over this. We wanted this. We were complicit. And now we've seemed to settle on demonizing each user as the appropriate method to handling the situation. I guess I'm just missing why the whole thing is such a problem. The NBA might be run by the mafia, the NFL sends its linemen out of the game with a life expectancy of 55 years, and it's MLB's players' training methods that are scandalous?

Who cares at this point? It's pretty safe to assume that the vast majority of players were doing something untoward. This just isn't a national crisis.

#883437 - 06/17/09 10:21 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: jayhwk01]
digitalkookie Offline
Big Dipper

#883438 - 06/17/09 10:25 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: JFish26]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Google is my friend. Just saw the report of the Sosa's steroid test that was revealed yesterday. To me he is out.

Fish: No not a National Crisis but to me cheating on this level is unacceptable. Those caught are out and yes this era is tainted. I know you personally don't care but enough people do that it does put a black mark on the game.

Now as far as the amphetamine abuse argument I am not buying. First, I am not convinced amphetamines make you physically stronger or play better. Secondly, the "well he did it" argument never washes. I don't even let my kids get away with that. You know that whole jump of the cliff thing.

As far as the fans being complicit....no. We have zero control over it. Did we love the homerun fest, yes, but still at the end of the day the individual fan controls very little. Now, every player, the players union, and the Commish are absolutely to blame. You will get no argument from me on that. In fact, I place far more blame on the union and the commish than even the players. Management let the down by turning a blind eye and it is the players who ultimately pay the price in damage to their bodies, reputation, and HOF chances.

#883439 - 06/17/09 11:29 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: digitalkookie]
jayhawklaw Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Free State Lobby
Quote:

i believe the scarlet letter was "A", however, if you were referring to "s"teroids, i can let it slide...lol

Keep the scarlet "A" for anabolic steroids.

#883440 - 06/17/09 11:30 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: jayhawklaw]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Haha fair enough.

#883441 - 06/17/09 06:29 PM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: JFish26]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Have any idea how many NFL hall of famers used?

#883442 - 06/17/09 06:32 PM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: Geezer]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

The NFL gets a free pass on steroids from both the media and the government.

#883443 - 06/17/09 08:03 PM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: JFish26]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Quote:

The NFL gets a free pass on steroids from both the media and the government.

They shouldn't and baseball is rightfully denied the free pass. The bottom line is not that they are in violation of baseball banned substances, but because the are breaking the law. It is illegal to obtain steroids and human growth hormones in the manner they are. If it were you and me, we may be looking at doing time.

#883444 - 06/17/09 08:08 PM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: jammahawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

You actually think Congress interjects itself in the baseball steroids issue because it is concerned with violation of federal law? Not a chance.

Congress fvcks with baseball because it gave itself the authority to do so when exempting MLB from antitrust law. These guys just want to be on tv and in the newspapers giving millionaires hard times. Federal law enforcement policy is generally to bust manufacturers and distributors, not users. Congress gets off on playing the "holier than thou" card with baseball players. It is an unbelievably poor use of government resources and should be condemned.

#883445 - 06/25/09 09:35 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: Geezer]
91hawk Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Quote:

I don't. The difference between the two sports stikes me as the NFL appeared to have tried to clean the game. On the other hand, my appraisal of baseball is that the men running the game made no effort at all to curtail the use of them.

My take on it may be completely off, but that's how the steroids story played to me. I quit being a pro baseball fan a few years back because it seemed to me that Bud Selig, Don Fehr, and all the rest didn't care if players were cheating.

It's one thing if people are cheating and getting away with it despite honest efforts to enforce the rules. It's entirely different if those running the game don't give a damn if people are cheating.

I think baseball should just end the charade, make Vince McMahon the commish, and start allowing managers to hit umpires over the head with folding chairs before players run around the bases willy-nilly.

If people still want to watch, that's fine with me, but the patrons of the game failed it miserably--and quite possibly stained it forever.

#883446 - 06/25/09 09:39 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: 91hawk]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I just don't really understand the need to shed tears over this. It happened, and maybe it shouldn't have, but it's not nearly as earth-shattering as the Woody Paige's of the world would have you believe. I don't get the need for tears and public outcry.

#883447 - 06/25/09 12:49 PM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: JFish26]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

I just don't really understand the need to shed tears over this. It happened, and maybe it shouldn't have, but it's not nearly as earth-shattering as the Woody Paige's of the world would have you believe. I don't get the need for tears and public outcry.

Two reasons I am "outraged" by the illegal steriod usage by athletes. Nearly everyday I work to get people, mainly pediatics approved in order to dispense HGH, and various other steroids. It is not uncommon for me to turn down someone who does not qualify. Then we have the Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa's of the world. and with a snap of a finger they get the drug, and up go their stats, while some with legit medical reasons are denied.
Secondly, as a fan of baseball, and a fan of following and comparing stats, steroids have make a cluster of making logical comparisons to other players and eras.

#883448 - 06/25/09 12:52 PM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: JFish26]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

You actually think Congress interjects itself in the baseball steroids issue because it is concerned with violation of federal law? Not a chance.

Congress fvcks with baseball because it gave itself the authority to do so when exempting MLB from antitrust law. These guys just want to be on tv and in the newspapers giving millionaires hard times. Federal law enforcement policy is generally to bust manufacturers and distributors, not users. Congress gets off on playing the "holier than thou" card with baseball players. It is an unbelievably poor use of government resources and should be condemned.

As a healthcare professional, I appreciate it when they put the spot light on abusers of controlled substances, even if they are grandstanding for their own personal gain.

#883449 - 06/27/09 08:58 PM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: digitalkookie]
TheMiracles Offline
Lawrence Legend

Baseball is entertainment. I don't give a chit what or how they do it to make it more entertaining.

Homeruns are entertaining.

I would like to say thank you to Sammy, Barry and Mark for sacrificing their bodies to entertain me.

#883450 - 06/27/09 10:09 PM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: JFish26]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Quote:

Woody Paige is a moran.

#883451 - 06/28/09 07:41 AM Re: Slammy Sosa [Re: jayhwk01]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Quote:

Woody Paige is a moran.

+ 1 billion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview