Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#859141 - 05/07/09 02:16 PM The popularity of college baseball ...
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

So, I've decided to contact different members of the media to solicit their opinion on the popularity of college baseball.

Here's my first response, an e-mail I received from Gene Deckerhoff, he announces Florida State football, basketball, baseball (TV) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers ...

College baseball is big in the South and the far West. Stadiums are filled every weekend. They expect 10,000 plus in Baton Rouge his weekend for all three games between Florida and LSU.

There are very few teams in the New York City area----largest media market in USA. TV drives all sports. And ratings drive TV.

CBS made the "Final Four" huge when they comitted "billions and billions" of dollars.

ESPN is creating national interest in the college baseball by televising Super Regional and College World Series Games.

And regional cable outlets---Sun Sports, Fox Sports Florida, etc----are carrying more and more regular season games.

Maybe one day the gamblers will figure out how to handicap college baseball---metal/composite bats and all----and they will stimulate interest in their own way (I hope not).

But hey, last Sunday in a Sun Sports telecast, I had the chance to cal a "triple play". We replayed it over and over again during the telecast----it happened in the 3rd inning. My first Triple Play!!!

Thanks for ... checking out genedeckerhoff.com.

#859142 - 05/07/09 02:38 PM Re: The popularity of college baseball ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

7, I think you should make a distinction here. College Baseball is not on TV often. But attendance at College Baseball games is often very good. Last night 5,700 showed up in Wichita for the WSU - KU game. Arkansas averages something like 7,000 per game. UT, BU and A&M all average around 4,000 per game.

Obviously college baseball is not nearly as popular as college football and college basketball. But I go see about 30 games a year and I am never alone in the stands. KU, which does not have nearly the fan base as most teams in the Big-12, draws an average of about 1,200 for conference games. Even the mid-week games against low rated opponents bring 200 to 800 fans into Hoglund, dependent upon the weather.

Anyway, I think the whole matter of college baseball not being very popular needs to be looked at more on a school by school basis than nationwide. I guess that is what my point is here.

#859143 - 05/07/09 02:49 PM Re: The popularity of college baseball ... [Re: JQKS]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

That's a good point, JQKS.

My inquiry was about the national popularity of college baseball relative to college basketball and football.

I also lamented not being able to catch a regular season game on television (of any teams) though I have noticed CSTV and FOX College Sports but not as much as expected on ESPNU.

His declaration about the South and West could be supported by the observation that the ACC, SEC and Pac-10 all have complete leagues.

I believe Colorado, Iowa State, Wisconsin and Syracuse are the only BCS football schools that lack baseball programs.

Big East members Marquette, DePaul and Providence have neither football nor baseball.

I will share other perspectives as they arrive ...

#859144 - 05/08/09 08:50 PM Re: The popularity of college baseball ... [Re: sevenyearhawk]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Ping = Finger nails on a chalk board.

#859145 - 05/08/09 09:46 PM Re: The popularity of college baseball ... [Re: jammahawk]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

Quote:

Ping = Finger nails on a chalk board.

Crack > Ping.

It is one change I'd love to see as well.

#859146 - 05/09/09 01:07 AM Re: The popularity of college baseball ... [Re: JQKS]
TheMiracles Offline
Lawrence Legend

College baseball on tv = God awful camera work.

#859147 - 05/09/09 08:11 AM Re: The popularity of college baseball ... [Re: TheMiracles]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

Loc: Mile High City
Quote:

College baseball on tv = God awful camera work.

Negative. The camera work is fine. However, when you have to put the cameras on what is basically the 3rd floor rather than the 13th floor, you aren't going to get the view you get from MLB stadiums.

#859148 - 05/11/09 08:13 PM Re: The popularity of college baseball ... [Re: gquinn225]
Brad4LSU Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
I think at one of LSU's earlier games this season vs Illinois, there were more fans in attendance at that single game than Illinois had in combined attendance last season.

#859149 - 05/11/09 09:29 PM Re: The popularity of college baseball ... [Re: Brad4LSU]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

I understand Illinois drew roughly 5,000 to their Friday and Saturday games this weekend. That is unusal, but Illinois is playing very well this year.

#859150 - 05/11/09 10:08 PM Re: The popularity of college baseball ... [Re: JQKS]
Brad4LSU Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
They are playing very well. Hell, they took two of three from us when they came to Baton Rouge. They've got some good pitching.

#859151 - 05/11/09 11:08 PM Re: The popularity of college baseball ... [Re: Brad4LSU]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

I checked on those Illinios attendance figures after I wrote that note and I was off on them. The Illini drew 5,200 for the Friday game but only about 1,500 for the Saturday and Sunday games. Still good attendance, but not quite at the level I thought.

Those two games Illinois won at LSU really annouced them as a contender this year.

Preview