Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83351 - 03/08/07 11:24 PM KU (11-5) vs. #15 Arkansas (10-5)
JQKS Offline
John Brown

I've written up a preview piece for this weekend's important series. Just click here.

As far as I know KLWN will not be sending a broadcast team to Fayetteville for the series but I've included information on linking to the Arkansas broadcast in the article. It's an important weekend for the 'hawks. Let's hope they come home with a few wins. That would turn the season around in a hurry.

#83352 - 03/09/07 01:50 PM Re: KU (11-5) vs. #15 Arkansas (10-5) [Re: JQKS]
Rex_Walters Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Chitown
KU 4, Arkansas 2

top of the fifth

#83353 - 03/09/07 02:17 PM Game One [Re: Rex_Walters]
Rex_Walters Offline
Big Dipper

whoops...

KU 5, Arkansas 5

bottom of the fifth

#83354 - 03/09/07 03:30 PM Re: Game One [Re: Rex_Walters]
Rex_Walters Offline
Big Dipper

KU 7, Arkansas 8

#83355 - 03/09/07 03:41 PM Re: Game One [Re: Rex_Walters]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Murphy with a 2-run HR in the top of the 9th to fight back, but we ended up just short.

This season had better not continue to be full of "almost" games like this...against top-tier teams.

#83356 - 03/09/07 04:52 PM Re: Game One [Re: jayhawk154]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

Once more, KU was not quite able to close the deal vs. a highly rated opponent. Hurts to loose another close one, but is it much better than getting blown out.

Here is the boxscore:
http://kuathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2006-2007/ku-ar1.html

#83357 - 03/09/07 11:06 PM Re: Game One [Re: JQKS]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom

Considering that's the first ranked team KU has played this year, I wouldn't be too disappointed with the effort. It's a long season.

#83358 - 03/10/07 09:04 AM Re: Game One [Re: chiknbut]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

I expect Arkansas is the best team KU has faced so far this year. Stanford and Oral Roberts also have good teams and both schools will compete for invites to the NCAA tournament. If memory serves me I think all three of these opponents finished in the RPI top-50 and made the big tourny last year.

Things do not get much easier for the Jayhawks after this weekend. Two weekday games at Hoglund next week, Tuesday Penn State comes to town and they look pretty decent. And Wednesday is one of the biggest days of the year for KU baseball, the annual visit of Wichita State to Hoglund. There will be 2,000 or so fans and an intense atmosphere. If you can make the game I'd recommend you do so and come before the first pitch. Last year the only game that completely sold out was vs. Wichita State. (Sadly I will only be there for the first inning and maybe the last inning. I have work obligations from 7:00 - 8:30ish.) And then the Jayhawks hit the road again for a weekend series at Texas A&M. It is possible that KU could be 11-13 when this streak comes to a close. I'm hoping for three wins in the eight games (14-10). That will keep the heart beating at least.

Edited by JQKS (03/10/07 09:07 AM)

#83359 - 03/10/07 06:51 PM Re: Game Two: Arkansas 4 - KU 0 [Re: JQKS]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

Nick Czyz pitched a great game but was outdueled today by All-American candidate Nick Schmidt. The Jayhawks went down 4-0. Both teams only collected four hits each. Here is the link to the KU story and boxscore:

http://kuathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/031007aaa.html

So, while the basketball team was taking another step closer to their inevitable national championship, the baseball team was still struggling to earn its first marquee victory. Let's hope both teams win tomorrow.

Edited by JQKS (03/10/07 07:00 PM)

#83360 - 03/11/07 01:41 PM Re: Game Three Line-up [Re: JQKS]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

Just to mention it, Coach Price has really shaken up his line-up today for the Jayhawks final game in Fayetteville.

1. Murphy CF (as usual)
2. Robby Price 3B (as usual)
3. John Allman LF (as usual)
4. BROCK SIMPSON RF (WHaaa? Price bumped Simpson down to the 7 hole only a week ago. And today he is hitting clean-up?
5. Erik Morrison SS (as usual)
6. Ryne Price 2B (as usual)
7. Justin Ellrich DH (in place of Servais today)
8. Ross Keiling 1B (Resting Preson Land)
9. Dylan Parzyk (Resting Buck Afenir)

Parzyk has already thrown out a baserunner in the first inning. Parzyk is the best defensive catcher on the team. He hasn't produced with the bat yet, but on the year he has thrown out 2 of 5 base stealers, while Afenir and Servais are a combined 0-12.

Marks is starting today and got through the first two innings fine - two hits, 3 K's, no runs.

I know everyone is getting up for the big Basketball game today, but take a minute to direct some positive thoughts out East right now before tip-off.

#83361 - 03/11/07 01:42 PM Re: Game Three Line-up [Re: JQKS]
tyler Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Lawrence
Allman is a very impressive player i think he could become something special.

#83362 - 03/11/07 01:47 PM Re: Game Three Line-up [Re: tyler]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

I'm with you on that Tyler. He fields well, runs the bases well, hits for average, has a good eye, seems very confident and level-headed. If he gets a bit more power in his stroke he will be just about the complete package.

I've talked with his parents a couple of times during games. His dad played for a season in the NFL. He was a DB for the St. Louis Cardinals. Seem like really good people. I don't know if Allman will stay for his senior year, but I hope he does. He will be drafted if he indicates that he has an open mind about signing. Allman reminds me a lot of A. J. Van Slyke from 2005, only with an overall more even keel.

When I listen to non-KU broadcasts the two players they always mention as being impressed by are Allman and Land. And I think part of the reason Land makes an impression is that he is roughly the size of an SUV.

Edited by JQKS (03/11/07 01:48 PM)

#83363 - 03/11/07 01:55 PM Re: Game Three Line-up [Re: JQKS]
tyler Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Lawrence
Haha he is big!
I didnt know, but it sounds like Allman has an athletic family, and next year watch out he could put on a show for the Jayhawk fans!

#83364 - 03/11/07 02:01 PM Re: Game Three Line-up [Re: tyler]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

KU just missed a good opportunity to score in the top of the 4th.

Allman walked and EMo doubled him to third but with two outs Ryne Price grounded out.

0-0 going into the bottom of the 4th. Marks seems to get shaky his second time through the order, and has come unhinged already twice when he camu up against the same hitters for the third time. I hope he has all his pitches working for him today so he can give us at least six innings.

Edited by JQKS (03/11/07 02:02 PM)

#83365 - 03/11/07 02:10 PM Re: Game Three Line-up [Re: JQKS]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

Hmm, for some curious reason Arkansas just went to the bullpen to start the fifth. They pulled Seibert and brought in McLelland (0-0, 6.75 ERA). This looks like a positive development for the Jayhawks. They only collected two hits and a walk off Seibert.

Ellrich and Keiling, back to back singles to great McLelland.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview