Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#828305 - 04/03/09 12:25 PM Crowd expectations for Saturday
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

If you are going to the game Saturday, expect the following:

1. Lots of newbies. Sure there will be plenty of veteran fans that have been to men's games and some Women's games, but there will also be a bunch of newbie Women's fans that may have never been in Allen Fieldhouse before jumping on the band wagon.

2. Some of the newbies may not know how to act and what to do at appropriate times. Please help and encourage them. Make sure nobody steals their seats if they go walking about soaking in the phog.

3. There might be a very small number of newbies that want to cause trouble. Don't be afraid to talk to an usher on your way to the concession stand. Give them a heads up about anyone showing signs of acting inappropriately. Better to have an Usher give them a word of caution to settle them down than have things escalate.

4. We DON'T need one or two idiots getting pissed at a referee and throwing crap on the floor. We know that's not Kansas. Point them out to the ushers if you see anyone doing something stupid. Let security take care of it. I doubt there will be many idiots like this, but it only takes one jerk to have an on-floor incident. With such a large crowd it's inevitable that a couple will find their way in. Just be alert.

5. Lots of little kids in attendance. If you don't handle shrill screams well, bring ear plugs.

6. VOLUME. The more the better. BRING IT!

7. Long lines at the ticket office. There will probably be a massive walkup crowd buying tickets at the last minute. Best to go online and print yours off early. If not, go early enough that you have time to wait in line.

8. A mosh pit of General Admission seating. Come early, and get a good seat. Enjoy the day. Come late, and enjoy the day from altitude.

Feel free to add other expectations/cautions/recommendations you expect for Saturday.

#828306 - 04/03/09 12:52 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

9. Give yourself plenty of time to park and walk ...

10. Concessions will be a zoo - they were on Wednesday night!

I have it on VERY good authority that ticket pre-sales are on a record setting pace!!!

#828307 - 04/03/09 12:53 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
WaHawk04 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Here's hoping for 16,300 screaming maniacs. Go Hawks.

#828308 - 04/03/09 12:54 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
Code_2008 Offline
WBB Moderator

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
Be prepared for the newbies rushing court if we are victorious.

#828309 - 04/03/09 12:56 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: Code_2008]
WaHawk04 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Code_2008,

You don't think they should rush the court? Given the circumstances, I wouldn't have a problem with it. [censored] it, have some fun.

#828310 - 04/03/09 01:01 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: WaHawk04]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Be prepared for *ME* rushing the court when they win ...

#828311 - 04/03/09 01:03 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: WaHawk04]
Code_2008 Offline
WBB Moderator

No, I'm not saying that, just be careful not to get trampled.

Remember, the band is bringing even MORE players into the Band Area tomorrow and we were already spilling out into the aisle on Wednesday. We'll definitely be crossing into the student section just to get all of us fitting in there, but that also means the aisles will be filled with people.

So, just watch your step, don't fall (and die like that Wal-Mart employee on Black Friday), and have some fun!

#828312 - 04/03/09 01:07 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: Code_2008]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Expect most fans to be cheering for KU to score.

Expect the smart fans to be going NUTZ every time KU gets a stop on DEFENSE!!!!!!

The latter will determine victory. Maybe you can help encourage fans to inspire the laides to CLAMP DOWN on defense. Especially in the 2nd half when our team will start to get tired.

Edited by 5DecadeHawk (04/03/09 01:08 PM)

#828313 - 04/03/09 01:14 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: sevenyearhawk]
brando Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: anywhere there is beer...
Quote:

Note to other KU fans...DO NOT RUSH THE COURT!! Let 7yr do it by himself LOL

#828314 - 04/03/09 01:28 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: brando]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

Quote:

Note to other KU fans...DO NOT RUSH THE COURT!! Let 7yr do it by himself LOL

ROTFLLLL

That would be hilarious!

#828315 - 04/03/09 01:34 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: sevenyearhawk]
WaHawk04 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Quote:

The freight train is coming, baby! Get off the tracks!

#828316 - 04/03/09 01:36 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: WaHawk04]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Just like Major League II, baby ...

WOO-WOO-WOO!!!

#828317 - 04/03/09 02:35 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: sevenyearhawk]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
this is really neat for kansas wbb. i know the feeling you're having over there. i hope to hell they sell out the old barn. have fun. rcjh (women only)!

#828318 - 04/03/09 02:44 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: tmcats]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Well, look what Cat dragged himself in ...

#828319 - 04/03/09 02:58 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: sevenyearhawk]
ElTurco Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Lawrence
5Decade's observations/predictions are spot on. I indoctrinated a new fan last game ("No, there's no 10 second count in the backcourt.") and hope to have the opportunity again tomorrow. I think some of the issues with chants, etc. last game was caused by the ISU band and spirit squad being there and trying to do chants at the exact same time - "De-fense" vs. "I-S-U". (Though there was no excuse for the premature Rock Chalk Chant.)

That being said, it is a little strange as someone who has been going to these games for a few years now, including to ones where there were barely 1,000 fans, to now see this huge outpouring of enthusiasm. To go from people looking at you funny when you said you were in the women's basketball booster club to everyone wanting to get tickets.

It's great for the program and is what I'd been hoping to happen to KU women's basketball, but it is also humorous to see people - including so-called Jayhawks - who I distinctly recall slamming Coach Henrickson, KU women's basketball and women's sports in general all now hopping on the bandwagon.

I just hope they all show up to games next year, regardless of what happens Saturday.

Rock Chalk!

#828320 - 04/03/09 03:34 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: ElTurco]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Loc: NYC
No backcourt in women's basketball?
News to me. Why isn't that rule in place?

#828321 - 04/03/09 03:39 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: pwhittemore]
Code_2008 Offline
WBB Moderator

Not sure.

#828322 - 04/03/09 03:39 PM No 10-second rule in WBB [Re: pwhittemore]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

The 10-second backcourt violation traces its history back to the 1969-70 season, when women's basketball experimented with a 30-second shot clock for the first time. Women's basketball had never had a shot clock before that time.

In the 1970-71 season the NCAA committee voted on and agreed to implement a 30-second shot clock in women's basketball with the desired outcome of speeding up the game. The committee did not think that a 10-second backcourt violation was needed because the 30-second shot clock would be sufficient.

Men's college basketball has a 10-second violation and so does high school girls and boy's basketball. The NBA and WNBA also have a backcourt violation but they only have eight seconds to get the ball across half court. That leaves NCAA women's basketball as the only competitive league that does not have a timed violation for excessive possession in the backcourt.

http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/59373

#828323 - 04/03/09 03:41 PM No 10-second rule in WBB [Re: sevenyearhawk]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

and this:

The shot clock was not implemented in men's college basketball until 1986, beginning at 40 seconds and changing to 35 in 1993.

Women's college basketball has used a 30-second shot clock since 1970, and the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) changed its shot clock from 30 seconds to 24 prior to the 2006 season.

The 24-second shot clock is also used in international play.

#828324 - 04/03/09 04:01 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: ElTurco]
Code_2008 Offline
WBB Moderator

Quote:

That being said, it is a little strange as someone who has been going to these games for a few years now, including to ones where there were barely 1,000 fans, to now see this huge outpouring of enthusiasm. To go from people looking at you funny when you said you were in the women's basketball booster club to everyone wanting to get tickets.

It's great for the program and is what I'd been hoping to happen to KU women's basketball, but it is also humorous to see people - including so-called Jayhawks - who I distinctly recall slamming Coach Henrickson, KU women's basketball and women's sports in general all now hopping on the bandwagon.

I just hope they all show up to games next year, regardless of what happens Saturday.

Rock Chalk!

Ah yes... I remember the beginning of Confrence play as well. Everybody but me and a few others were calling for Bonnie's head. Just like they were calling for Self's head after the OSU game last year or Mangino's head a few years ago.

I never lost faith in this Women's team, and I never will.

Edited by Code_2008 (04/03/09 04:01 PM)

#828325 - 04/03/09 04:02 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: Code_2008]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

They haven't proven anything yet. Until they actually play worth a [censored] in conference, they will not have proven ANYTHING. This has no analogy to Self or Mangino.

#828326 - 04/03/09 04:19 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: Morgansraider]
Code_2008 Offline
WBB Moderator

I'm sorry, I guess having an 7-11 (6-10 w/o post-season Big 12 wins) in confrence play doesn't mean [censored] especially since this is Bonnie's best year in confrence since she's arrived here and that she also upset Iowa State and Baylor during this current 7 out of 9 game winning streak.

Next year she'll be contending for the top half of the Big 12 or better. I can feel it. And if the ladies win this game tomorrow, she'll be riding a 7-game home streak into the off-season.

Edited by Code_2008 (04/03/09 04:22 PM)

#828327 - 04/03/09 05:19 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: Code_2008]
brando Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: anywhere there is beer...
Quote:

Everybody but me and a few others were calling for Bonnie's head. Just like they were calling for Self's head after the OSU game last year or Mangino's head a few years ago.

right there alongside of you...

ROCK CHALK!!!

#828328 - 04/03/09 05:49 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: brando]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
My crowd expectations... It's going to be a lame small crowd except for Brando and 7Year who I fully expect to get naked on the court if we win.

#828329 - 04/03/09 06:50 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: larryb]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

My crowd expectations... It's going to be a lame small crowd except for Brando and 7Year who I fully expect to get naked on the court if we win.

Thanks for that mental image, Mr. Ray of Darkshine.

Excuse me while I go wash my brain out with soap.

#828330 - 04/03/09 09:40 PM Re: Crowd expectations for Saturday [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
LVCHawk Offline
kusports.net

Tomorrow will be my first womens game. Going to take my 2 year old daughter and wife, hopefully its a good game!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview