Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#826872 - 04/02/09 07:35 AM UDK Post-game Review
Code_2008 Offline
WBB Moderator

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
Yeah, even the UDK is abord the wagon... they're now providing reviews for the games.

Illinois State at Kansas

Three Stars…

In honor of sophomore center Krysten Boogaard’s brother, Derek, who plays for the Minnesota Wild in the NHL, Clark Goble and Jayson Jenks will break down the game’s three stars – a tribute to the NHL.
3. Aishah Sutherland. Sutherland again portrayed all the necessary qualities needed to be a stellar inside presence for Kansas. She scored nine points, grabbed seven rebounds and added three blocks for good measure.
2. Danielle McCray. OK, so McCray scored 31 points and made more than 50 percent of her shots. But this is becoming the norm and nothing extraordinary. She could have had more.
1. Krysten Boogaard. The Jayhawks always talk about needing an inside presence. And Boogaard certainly provided that with 18 points and seven rebounds.
Postgame…

In the words of…Coach Bonnie Henrickson on freshman forward Aishah Sutherland fouling an Illinois State player with only seconds left in the game. “That’s the definition of a freshman.”
Turnover tracker: 18. What makes this number so appalling is that Illinois State only committed six turnovers. Kansas will need to do better in the WNIT championship game.
Game Changer: 0:39 left in the second half. Danielle McCray drove to the basket and missed. But she grabbed her own rebound and completed a three-point play. That got her teammates and the crowd going again.
Looking ahead: One more left. Kansas has won nine of its last 11 games and is playing its best basketball of the season. That alone should be enough for the Jayhawks to knock off South Florida in the WNIT championship on Saturday. But throw in the fact that the game is being played inside Allen Fieldhouse? It’s a no brainer. Kansas 75, South Florida 68
Thoughts…

- Illinois State fans traveled well. The color red, not crimson, was prominently on display.
- Illinois State’s band and cheerleaders also traveled to Lawrence. That’s a nice touch.
- To stick with the Illinois State theme, the school’s band wore hockey jerseys. Iowa State’s band did the same thing. I always liked that.
- The athletic department should have made a new video considering the occasion. The old one is fine, but the semifinals deserved a new intro video.
- Before the game, Kansas’ players had smiles over their faces when the crowd erupted. It’s been rare that this many people have been at Allen Fieldhouse this season.
- I don’t think the Jayhawks have played many games this season when they’ve had students yelling while playing defense.
- Kansas appeared to rush at the beginning of the game. I’m sure the crowd had something to do with that.
- Danielle McCray is simply a beast. She scored 31 points and didn’t even appear to be playing well for much of the game. Is there such a thing as a quiet 31?
- Hats off to the KU athletics department. Although I’m not sure 8,000 people were in attendance, there was a lot of blue. And that’s because the athletics department did a wonderful job advertising.
- Krysten Boogaard has always seemed to battle confidence problems. But those issues have disappeared in Kansas’ last two games. She scored 11 points against New Mexico and bettered that performance with 18 points against Illinois State.
- Aishah Sutherland’s impact can be seen in the stats. But what numbers won’t tell is how many shots she alters. My guess would be she affected the outcome of at least five attempts against the Redbirds.
- Bonnie Henrickson walked over to conduct her courtside postgame interview and received warm applause from those in the crowd. She had a great line: “I’m glad you guys at least enjoyed it.” - By Jason Jenks

I like their prediction.

#826873 - 04/02/09 08:58 AM Re: UDK Post-game Review [Re: Code_2008]
phaedruscj Offline
Baby Jay

UDK withheld the fact that few students were evident.

I saw a lot of families who were probaly there for the Allen experience like we were. Students were admitted free and didn't fill the stands at either end not to mention both ends of the court.

The UDK should call out the students. Isn't KU the liberal bastion of kansas where women should get the same consideration as men?

#826874 - 04/02/09 09:04 AM Re: UDK Post-game Review [Re: phaedruscj]
ElTurco Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Lawrence
I had the opposite response. It thought there were a good number of students in the end zones. Heck, for the first time this year there were enough students to do the arm waving and jumping during opponent's free throws.

#826875 - 04/02/09 09:25 AM Re: UDK Post-game Review [Re: ElTurco]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

"- The athletic department should have made a new video considering the occasion. The old one is fine, but the semifinals deserved a new intro video."

THIS!

Yes, the North student in particular was ROCKIN'!

#826876 - 04/02/09 10:22 AM Re: UDK Post-game Review [Re: sevenyearhawk]
Asher87 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Lawrence, KS
I believe the UDK has been providing post-game blogs along with a podcast and (at least) two stories from each home game and some road games all season long.

The Kansan has done a great job covering women's basketball in recent years and the two writers this year are probably the best yet.

And no, I don't work for the UDK.

Preview