There is a woman in Chicago who many have never heard of. Her name is Dorothy Gaters. What she has accomplished both on and off the court is to be commended. Last night Ms. Gaters won her 900th game as a High School Basketball coach.

Here are a few articles on Dorothy if you chose to learn more about this special woman.

From 1999 http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_/ai_54727853

From 2004 http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/article.pl?article_id=21748

From 2007

April 4, 2007
BY DOROTHY GATERS
Conference: Public League

Colors: Maroon, gold

Nickname: Commandos

Enrollment: 1,183
Behind the name: John Marshall was the longest-serving U.S. chief justice

WHAT MARSHALL MEANS TO ME:
It has been an opportunity to give back to the community. It has provided me the opportunity to work with so many kids and their parents in a counseling capacity, not just in athletics. And I've gotten to interact with children and grandchildren of people I went to school with.
My instinct is to try to steer them in the right direction.

I also have had the opportunity to be an example to students as a person who took advantage of education first. I did not participate in interscholastic athletics. There were no scholarships in this community or this city. There were opportunities for women in sports like tennis and track.

My circumstances are such that I've always considered Marshall my second home. I could never leave because I was taking care of my mother and wanted to be with grandkids when they came. It was a no-brainer. Family first for me.

It's a sign of the times that fewer parents are around who are concerned with the behavior of their kids. And you can find kids with drugs anywhere, in the worst communities or even in the best communities.

I've been content to do a good job, try to stay healthy and try to stay involved.

I don't even think about retiring. When the time comes that I don't want to get up and go to work, I won't.

Gaters is the winningest girls basketball coach in state history.

State titles: Girls basketball 7, boys basketball 2.

A DATE WITH HISTORY

1. Marshall's 1957-58 boys basketball squad was the first all-black team and the first Chicago Public League school to win state. When its state-bound bus pulled up to a Champaign motel, it was turned away because it didn't allow African-Americans. Marshall went 31-0 and is considered one of the five best teams in state history. The Commandos returned to win state in '60.
BREEDING SUCCESS

2. Dorothy Gaters is a one-woman dynasty with seven state championships. Gaters' second title -- in 1985 -- may have reflected the status of her program best. A day before the Commandos easily dispatched Wheaton Central for Gaters' second state title, three former Marshall players were competing in the women's NCAA Final Four for three teams.
UPSET FOR THE AGEES

3. In the 1991 Public League semifinals, Arthur Agee led Marshall to perhaps the most stunning upset in the history of the city tournament. Marshall knocked off top-ranked King, which was led by two 7-footers. A movie camera was rolling at the time because Agee was a subject of the documentary ''Hoop Dreams.'' The Commandos went on to lose in the state semifinals.
FIRST AND FOREMOST

4. In 1982, Gaters led her team to the state finals for the fifth year in a row. For the first time, she brought home the trophy with the nets on it. The Commandos finished 32-0. Marshall defeated East St. Louis Lincoln 57-49 in the state championship game, reversing the 1980 title game that was won by Lincoln and future Olympic track and field great Jackie Joyner.
LITTLE BIG MEN

5. Marshall's junior boys hoops team won 98 games in a row from Dec. 12, 1939, to March 8, 1944. Coach Lou Weintraub's 5-7-and-under squad featured Izzy Acker, Morry Kaplan, Julian Davis, Hymen Tadelman, Whitey Siegal, Alex Eisenstein, Oscar Meltzer, Norm Abrams and Chicky Zomlefer. It was inducted into the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association's Hall of Fame.

FAMOUS ALUMNI
Arthur Agee, life portrayed in ''Hoop Dreams.''
Alsia Burras, starred at Louisiana Tech.
Marie Christian,starred at Old Dominion for 1982 NCAA champs.
Dee Clark,singer known for ''Raindrops'' and "Nobody but You."
Janet Harris,four-time All-American basketball player at Georgia.
Judy Mitchell-Davis, circuit court judge.
Cappie Pondexter, starred at Rutgers and in the WNBA.
Louis Price, once a member of the Temptations.
Hyman G. Rickover, known as the ''Father of the Nuclear Navy,'' he was the longest-serving active duty military officer.
Arthur Rubloff, real estate magnate.
Stan Shaw, actor.
Darryl Stingley, NFL player.
Gary ''Rocky'' Thompson, first player selected in the 1971 NFL draft by the New York Giants.
Kim Williams, starred at DePaul.
George Wilson, basketball star for the first two Public League teams to win state titles in 1958 and 1960.

From 2008

Getting to know: Dorothy Gaters

Marshalls Dorothy Gaters is the winningest basketball coach in state history. Her philosophy? In one word discipline.
(Stacia Timonere/For the Sun-Times)

Girls basketball coach | Marshall
January 17, 2008 By Taylor Bell

You are the winningest basketball coach in state history. What does that mean to you? It doesn't have the relevance now that it will have when I no longer am coaching. I pay more attention to the national anthem now than I did before. It means a lot to the kids who participated in our program.

Your philosophy? In one word --discipline. Once you get kids to pay attention and do things you ask them to do on the basketball court and in the classroom, you will pave the path to success.

Most satisfying victory? Our one-point, overtime victory over East St. Louis Lincoln in the 1983 state quarterfinals, when they were ranked No. 1 in the nation. They were such a powerhouse. It was such a great rivalry.

Most disappointing loss? To Glenbrook South in the 1994 championship game. We led the entire game and were in a delay situation. We lost the ball on a turnover, they missed a shot, then outhustled us for the rebound and Dana Leonard made the winning basket.

Best player you ever coached? I can't single one out. Janet Harris was so dominating in the paint and Kim Williams could do whatever she wanted to do. She was the most amazing player I ever coached.

The All-Gaters team? Harris, Williams, Cappie Pondexter, Kim McQuarter, Kourtney Walton, Jennifer Jones, Marie Christian. I can't pick five.

You have produced seven state championship teams. Which was the best? The first one, 1982. Marie Christian and Jennifer Jones were the stars. We had been to state four times and hadn't won. I wasn't seasoned enough as a coach.

Advice to young coaches? Be dedicated to the game and be true to yourself. Remember, when it's all said and done, it's about the kids, not the coach.

Seven years ago, you founded the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dream Classic, which will be Saturday, Sunday and Monday at Young. What was your inspiration? As I got older, and Dr. King's birthday would come around, I'd see all the speeches and tapes of all the things that people went through, how so many people wouldn't have opportunities without the sacrifice of others. I tried to find a way to be part of the celebration. I want to remind kids of the sacrifices that others made so they would have better opportunities.

What gives you the most satisfaction? Seeing my two grandchildren grow up, being part of their lives.

How do you relax? I go to Las Vegas three times a year for four or five days. I play the slots. I have no patience for the tables. I also have a summer home in Union Pier, Mich.

What would you like people to know about you that they don't know? I'm a real soft touch. I get emotional about a lot of issues. That's part of my character. I'm fearful of public speaking. I have to convince myself before I'll do it.

From today

HIGH SCHOOLS | GIRLS BASKETBALL: Gaters at 900: Still loving it
January 28, 2009BY CLYDE TRAVIS

Marshall coach Dorothy Gaters continues to separate herself from her coaching peers. She notched her 900th career victory with a 69-35 rout of visiting North Lawndale in the second round of the Windy City playoffs Tuesday.

Adrienne GodBold led the No. 14 Commandos (19-5) with 22 points and 12 rebounds, and Laquentra Lemons scored 20 points, including six three-pointers.

Now in her 34th season, Gaters has a career record of 900-127. She has won eight state championships -- including the Class 3A title last season -- and 23 city titles.

''I still love basketball,'' Gaters said. ''I may not enjoy the brand that we play at times, but I still love teaching the game. I was very fortunate when I started out to be blessed with so much talent. We have not had a great player come through since Cappie Pondexter in 2001, but these kids work as hard as ever.''

Gaters hasn't put a timetable on when she plans to step down. But she has handpicked her successor, former player Jennifer Jones, who was on her first state championship team in 1982.

''Ms. Gaters is responsible for so many girls succeeding in life,'' Jones said. ''This is her mission. There was no Dorothy Gaters for her when she was at Marshall and wanted to play, so she made sure that wouldn't happen to any other girl that wanted to play.''

Gaters described her 900th victory as ''a monument to all the people I've coached and have been a part of our program,'' but she rated her 1982 team as her top coaching memory.

''That was my first state championship, and it was very special,'' Gaters said. ''I had Marie Christian, and Jennifer [Jones] was also on that team.''

The Commandos will play either Morgan Park or Brooks in the quarterfinals of the Windy City playoffs Saturday.

Cassandra Baker led North Lawndale (11-10) with 20 points.