Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#647113 - 10/30/08 11:49 AM Fire Dayton *****
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
This is beyond ridiculous:

Royals Trade For Jacobs

In one move, we've effectively foreclosed on two of the most promising hitters in the organization for a guy that gets on base less than Ross Gload.

[censored] this.

#647114 - 10/30/08 12:11 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: JFish26]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
Fire Dayton? Maybe a bit reactionary but I agree this move is questionable. Hopefully Dayton knows or sees something the rest of us don't. Time will tell.

#647115 - 10/30/08 12:23 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: jayhwk01]
jayhawks14 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Yeah I don't really understand the move with the plethora or 1B/DH's that the Royals have...

#647116 - 10/30/08 01:36 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: jayhawks14]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Yeah I don't really understand the move with the plethora or 1B/DH's that the Royals have...

...especially given that Jacobs is worse than three of them (Butler, Shealy, Ka'aihue). Jacobs is 28 years old, shows skills which do not stand to improve over time, and won't come close to 32 home runs at Kauffman. This is a disastrous move on a number of fronts, some of which I've already addressed.

1. He does not present an upgrade over the available options.
2. He represents that the Royals are giving up on at least one (and seemingly two) of the best hitting prospects in the organization (Butler and Ka'aihue).
3. The trade shows a clear mismanagement of assets. Nunez was a valuable chip. While trading him is not necessarily a mistake, using him to obtain Mike Jacobs is awful (for the aforementioned reasons).

While calling for Dayton's firing is clearly rash, it is not a reaction to this move alone. This move merely represents a consistent failure on Moore's part to allocate assets responsibly and efficiently.

#647117 - 10/30/08 01:45 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: JFish26]
jayhawks14 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Do you think they might be thinking of dealing one of the other players they have to make room for Jacobs?

Thats the only thing I can think of...

#647118 - 10/30/08 01:58 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: jayhawks14]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Do you think they might be thinking of dealing one of the other players they have to make room for Jacobs?

Thats the only thing I can think of...

I think that's the only possible justification, but there's a serious flaw in that logic: by this move, they've undercut Butler's trade value to the point that it is not worth dealing him. By making Butler completely expendable, the asking price for him has plummeted. Ka'aihue has even less value, and Shealy's follows his. Gload is untradeable (and, I would contend, unemployable).

Butler, Ka'aihue, and Shealy would all be better players next year than Jacobs. Giving up a trade chip of marginally high value (Nunez) for him is indefensible--unless you were going to get a premium package for Butler. That package would never be out there unless Butler started hitting in the majors like his talent dictates--a chance he's now unlikely to have with the Royals because of this silly trade.

Utter ineptitude.

#647119 - 10/30/08 03:33 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: JFish26]
Jphog Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
Nunez gets hurt every year anyway. His trade value wasn't that high.

#647120 - 10/30/08 04:33 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: Jphog]
jnewell Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Lawrence, KS
I'm going to have to disagree. I like Shealy a lot, but this was a steal for Dayton. The Royals haven't had a guy hit 30 home runs since Jermaine Dye. Here, they got a legitimate power guy who is entering his prime (turned 28 today) for Nunez, a frequently injured reliever with a violent motion who never proved he could handle the workload of a starter. Around the league, I'm sure people are shaking their heads wondering why the Marlins would make such a deal. Remember, also, that Shealy is no spring chicken (29). This is a steal for Dayton, whether the Royals needed a first baseman or not.

#647121 - 10/30/08 04:36 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: jnewell]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

JNewell do you really think he is going to hit 30+ at the K? I don't think so not to mention his OBP is awful and now what about Butler and the rest of the DH/1B crowd? This is a head scratcher to me.

#647122 - 10/30/08 04:46 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: jayhwk01]
jnewell Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

jayhwk01 They go into the ballparks in this blog on the K.C. Star.

http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/85

Scroll down to "As for Jacobs." Turns out Florida is a worse ballpark to hit in than K.C.

#647123 - 10/30/08 04:50 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: jnewell]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Interesting....we will see I guess. Still don't think it's a good trade given what we have on the roster already.

#647124 - 10/30/08 04:55 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: jayhwk01]
jnewell Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

01 Just curious. What would you think of this trade if you were a Marlins' fan?

#647125 - 10/30/08 04:57 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: jnewell]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

It would depend what else was on the roster or in the minors to replace the production. Getting pitching is (almost) always a good thing.

#647126 - 10/30/08 04:59 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: jnewell]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

I'm going to have to disagree. I like Shealy a lot, but this was a steal for Dayton. The Royals haven't had a guy hit 30 home runs since Jermaine Dye. Here, they got a legitimate power guy who is entering his prime (turned 28 today) for Nunez, a frequently injured reliever with a violent motion who never proved he could handle the workload of a starter. Around the league, I'm sure people are shaking their heads wondering why the Marlins would make such a deal. Remember, also, that Shealy is no spring chicken (29). This is a steal for Dayton, whether the Royals needed a first baseman or not.

Flatly--you're wrong. Very, very wrong. Jacobs is among the worst players in the major leagues. He is old, and his skills do not profile to age well. Players who don't take walks at age 28 don't learn to walk.

Nobody around the majors is shaking their heads over this deal, wondering how the Royals pulled this off. This is one of the most miserable trades which will be made this offseason. Jacobs got on base at a .299 clip in a easy league. He's going to be awful as a Royal.

If you're having trouble understanding how dangerously wrong your logic is, read this, by the best authority out there on the Royals:

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2008/10/memo-to-dmgm-wtf.html

Money quote:

"There were 29 players this season who batted at least 300 times and played at least half their games at first base. Only two of them had a lower OBP than Ross Gloads .317. One was John Bowker, rookie first baseman for the Giants, who had a .300 OBP. The other with the lowest OBP of any first baseman in the game was Jacobs. Thats right: Moore has managed to find a first baseman that actually reached base less often than Ross Gload. And hes willing to give up talent to get him."

#647127 - 10/30/08 05:02 PM Re: Fire Dayton [Re: JFish26]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

And, you know, I'm not quite done yet. This trade is unfathomably stupid. In one move, Moore made the Royals worse in 2009 and beyond, gave up on one of the most promising hitters the organization has developed in the last decade, surrendered a talented player to do so, and got a player who will be terrible in the American League.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Preview