Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#620316 - 10/10/08 11:10 AM 2009 Free Agents
elan71 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
There are some pretty good Free Agents for 2009...
Mark Teixeira
Hank Blalock
Chipper Jones
Ivan Rodriguez
Pat Burrell
Vladimir Guerrero
Manny Ramirez
Rich Harden
C.C. Sabathia
Ben Sheets
Francisco Rodriguez
Kerry Wood

I'm interested to see how things shift around this offseason.
"one beaker for another" philippians 4:13

#620317 - 10/10/08 11:19 AM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: elan71]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Swing and a miss.

1. Where's Adam Dunn? Ryan Dempster? Derek Lowe? Orlando Hudson? Rafael Furcal? Bobby Abreu? Maybe A.J. Burnett? Oliver Perez? Brian Fuentes?

You left over $100MM in '09 salaries alone off the list.

2. The Cubs already picked up Harden's option.

3. Chipper and Guerrero have options for '09. They're virtual locks to be back with their teams.

#620318 - 10/10/08 11:37 AM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: JFish26]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
I will be interested to see if the Royals can make a run for some of these guys. More pitching would be great but I don't want Sheets or Woods...damaged goods.

I would love to have Pat Burrell just because I think he would be a good fit here but honestly for the salary we would have to give at his age probably not worth it.

Chipper and Vlad are not going anywhere.

I would not bring in I-Rod. Love the guy but we don't need an old catcher without much pop left.

Teixeira I really like but we have so many 1st baseman already.

Guess we will see what happens.

#620319 - 10/10/08 11:38 AM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: jayhwk01]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I would love to see Dunn. One of the most ridiculously underrated players in the game.

#620320 - 10/10/08 11:51 AM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: JFish26]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

They only thing that scares me about Dunn is the batting avg. If the power ever slips then all you have .233 (or worse) and nothing to show for it ala Paul Konerko.

That said I would love to see him in a Royals uni also. Even just a little more power in that lineup would be good. If Gordon or Butler (or dreaming both) could get their power stroke on and add in Dunn wow that would be a fun lineup. With Jose and the occasional HR from DeJesus maybe the Royals could put a scare in the division.

#620321 - 10/10/08 11:59 AM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: jayhwk01]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

They only thing that scares me about Dunn is the batting avg. If the power ever slips then all you have .233 (or worse) and nothing to show for it ala Paul Konerko.

That said I would love to see him in a Royals uni also. Even just a little more power in that lineup would be good. If Gordon or Butler (or dreaming both) could get their power stroke on and add in Dunn wow that would be a fun lineup. With Jose and the occasional HR from DeJesus maybe the Royals could put a scare in the division.

Low average isn't a huge liability if a guy walks a ton. Dunn's OBP is about .380 each year; that's good on it's own, but when he's also hitting for tremendous power it makes him a star. Konerko's career-high OBP is the same as Dunn's career-average OBP.

#620322 - 10/10/08 11:59 AM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: JFish26]
GonzoJohn Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Pudge is still considered a good free agent?

#620323 - 10/10/08 12:37 PM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: jayhwk01]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: On the sofa
Quote:

I would love to have Pat Burrell just because I think he would be a good fit here but honestly for the salary we would have to give at his age probably not worth it.

No you don't. You DON'T want to Royals to waste money on Burrell. I don't care if he single-handedly wins a WS for the Phillies this year because he has all the tools to become the next 'big-time' free agent bust.

#620324 - 10/10/08 12:41 PM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

What do yo mean he has the tools to become a bust? His career stats look pretty solid. I think he would be a nice addition on the field and in the locker room.

#620325 - 10/10/08 12:48 PM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: jayhwk01]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

What do yo mean he has the tools to become a bust? His career stats look pretty solid. I think he would be a nice addition on the field and in the locker room.

A little tongue-in-cheek. A stereotype if you will...

Puts up great numbers in his contract year. Afterwards you read about him in the top 20 worst free-agent signings of all time.

Trust me, not to be an a$$, but I'm willing to bet I've watched the Phillies a lot more than you. He hasn't been worth the money he received from the Phillies. The rumors out here he was trade bait the last couple years (except this year) but no one wanted the tab.

I can go on if you would like.

Edited by EastCoastJHawk (10/10/08 12:49 PM)

#620326 - 10/10/08 12:54 PM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Yeah I know he has been trade bait before but that does not mean he is not a good player.

I have looked at his stats and they look pretty solid. They would look great in the Royals lineup. But I am always willing to learn. What is the 411 I am missing.

#620327 - 10/10/08 12:55 PM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: jayhwk01]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Fair enough. What stats of his do you like?

#620328 - 10/10/08 01:03 PM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Well of course to a Royals fan those consistent HR totals in the Mid twenties to low 30's look HUGE.

In reality they are good but not spectacular but still would look good in a Royal line up.

Avg. So-So but his Power/Walks makes up the diff.

Walks- Love this one. Guy gets on base even without hitting the ball.

Steals--Basically worthless here.

RBI- Good but not great but still would help a Royals lineup.

Doubles. Really like this one too. He hits quite a few and in a park like the Royals have these totals could really go up.

So why is it exactly do you think he would not help the Royals. We know we will have to overpay to get people here (See Gil Meche) but if you can do it with players that contribute eventually the payoff is there and people will want to come to KC to play.

#620329 - 10/10/08 01:16 PM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: jayhwk01]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Well of course to a Royals fan those consistent HR totals in the Mid twenties to low 30's look HUGE.

In reality they are good but not spectacular but still would look good in a Royal line up.

Doubles. Really like this one too. He hits quite a few and in a park like the Royals have these totals could really go up.

So why is it exactly do you think he would not help the Royals. We know we will have to overpay to get people here (See Gil Meche) but if you can do it with players that contribute eventually the payoff is there and people will want to come to KC to play.

OK, I'm not saying I'm correct or an expert, but this some of what (IMO) you may not realize if you don't follow the PHillies. And just some of my reasoning.

As far as HR's.........have you seen Citizen's Bank Park? And when people tell you it's small, it's SMALL. To be honest watching games there live, you almost think they exaggerated on the dimensions. FWIW he's had only one year of 30+ HR's in the Vet.
If he played at the K, I would guess he hit 25 HR's at the most.

Walks? he does walk a lot, however this is what the stats don't tell you (and where you may blast me), for being a hitter in the 5-hole and is paid to drive in runs, he is a bit TOO-selective. ANd it has also led to many called 3rd strikes with runners in scoring position. (While he is no Ryan Howard in total Ks Pat has quite a bit of K's too, I don't know the exact %, but I would guess many are called 3rd strikes) This is where IMO, you can't just look at a stat sheet. When you have a guy you are paying big $$$ to in order to produce runs in the 5-hole, you can't have him trying to draw a walk when you have the bottom end of the order after you. Just my opinion however.

And you have to realize when you pay big $$ for Pat Burrell, all you are buying is a bat, and a 32-yo bat at that. No baserunning, no defense, etc.

FWIW - THe rumors here is that Burrell is a big reason why Ryan Howard didn't get as much as he wanted, because the Phils got burnt once giving big money to one of their youngsters after only 1 good year. I'm probably a bit biased from the Philly media, but I don't think Burrell is a good pick-up for the Royals.

Edited by EastCoastJHawk (10/10/08 01:17 PM)

#620330 - 10/10/08 01:36 PM Re: 2009 Free Agents [Re: jayhwk01]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Burrell's just an older, not-as-good Adam Dunn. Players with his tools don't age well, and remember that the league switch could be a problem; way more fastballs in the NL.

The Royals also don't need an outfielder. Rafael Furcal or Orlando Hudson would be great pickups. Trading some minor league depth for one of the Rangers awesome catching prospects would be a good step.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview