Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#568094 - 08/27/08 10:59 AM Recruiting at Kansas
Hawkstars39 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Des Moines, Iowa
I read several message boards concerning our team, this being one of them. I don't post as much as some of you, usually just read and add my opinion when I choose.

It appears the end of the world is coming with the loss of several big time recruits from the past few classes and the possibility of the same from the '09 class. I think we really need to step back and understand that it takes a certain type of player to play here. Just because we when the national title, doesn't mean every top recruit in the country wants to play for Kansas. Kansas gets players that want to buy into the "us' and team philosophy. If recruits believe they are 1 and done players and believe in "me" only, why would they come to Kansas.

Don't you think Self and the coaching staff tell the recruits exactly how it is in the recruiting process. Don't you think the "us" style of play where we make teams guard 5 players on the court instead of 1 or 2 players on the court turns recruits away? They may be interested intially because we are Kansas, but many players want to be told "your IT if you come to Kansas". Do you think our coaching staff tells recruits we WANT you to come to Kansas; we don't NEED you to come to Kansas. There is a big difference between the two. Our coaching staff doesn't tell recruits your IT and we NEED you to player here, obviously.

Its obvious Self's coaching formula works. The players that do commit to Kansas obviously have some sense of wanting to play for a "team", a "family" and be a part of something far bigger than themselves. We get players that want to succeed at a high level, compete for a national championship, play OUR style of basketball, which is different than the majority.

That philosophy is not for everybody. I apologize for the length of the post.

#568095 - 08/27/08 11:02 AM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: Hawkstars39]
robot Offline
space jam

Loc: Lawrence
Quote:

It appears the end of the world is coming with the loss of several big time recruits from the past few classes and the possibility of the same from the '09 class.

which recruits are you talking about?

#568096 - 08/27/08 11:05 AM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: Hawkstars39]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Dont apologize for the length. Apologize to the #2 rated recruiting class this year.

A McD All American Center last year.

2 the previous.

Top recruits are here and continue to come.

Dont get caught up in whats being said over a 24 hour span because of a recruits brother making a decision.

Self has yet to disappoint in recruiting anywhere he has been.

#568097 - 08/27/08 11:26 AM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: Hawklin]
rajaweaver Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: DinkyVille, KS
Agreed. Every Summer it's the same song and dance where folks get bent out of shape just because a recruit or two don't pick KU or, god forbid, are considering other schools.

Personally (and I make no claims to knowing what's best for anyone else) I just don't even worry about recruits (aside from casual interest) or when a prospect is visiting, etc. I just circle the week where the pre-season kicks off and get to know the team then.

I guess that those who analyze and sweat out recruiting need something to talk about in the off season but given Self's success over the years and particularly at KU, I am completely satisfied to let him field the team. I'll root for whomever he gets. Every single coach in the country loses out on some prospects at some point.

#568098 - 08/27/08 11:29 AM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: rajaweaver]
ColdWarKid Offline
Wildcat Killer

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Quote:

Agreed. Every Summer it's the same song and dance where folks get bent out of shape just because a recruit or two don't pick KU or, god forbid, are considering other schools.

Personally (and I make no claims to knowing what's best for anyone else) I just don't even worry about recruits (aside from casual interest) or when a prospect is visiting, etc. I just circle the week where the pre-season kicks off and get to know the team then.

I guess that those who analyze and sweat out recruiting need something to talk about in the off season but given Self's success over the years and particularly at KU, I am completely satisfied to let him field the team. I'll root for whomever he gets. Every single coach in the country loses out on some prospects at some point.

And also, if they're at all interested in shweet n shour pork, Lawrence has plenty of sheety restaurants to choose from. No worries.

#568099 - 08/27/08 11:30 AM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: ColdWarKid]
robot Offline
space jam

Quote:

And also, if they're at all interested in shweet n shour pork, Lawrence has plenty of sheety restaurants to choose from. No worries.

me hungy

#568100 - 08/27/08 11:32 AM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: Hawklin]
Hawkstars39 Offline
John Brown

I'm very excited about this years class, reminds me of last years seniors. They'll hopefully be a solid base of many 3-4 year players. My intention of the post was the mainly based on comments not so much from this board but others I read, that I can not post on. Also, to express my thoughts on the type of player we recruit.

I sincerely believe Self's style of basketball is the way the game should be played and represents athletics they way they were meant to be represented. Not all recruits are interested in the "us" style of play and playing for all of those guys that played in the program before them, which we'll glad accept there decision to play for a program that fits the 5 players on the court playing for themselves style.

#568101 - 08/27/08 11:37 AM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: Hawkstars39]
robot Offline
space jam

Quote:

I'm very excited about this years class, reminds me of last years seniors. They'll hopefully be a solid base of many 3-4 year players. My intention of the post was the mainly based on comments not so much from this board but others I read, that I can not post on. Also, to express my thoughts on the type of player we recruit.

I sincerely believe Self's style of basketball is the way the game should be played and represents athletics they way they were meant to be represented. Not all recruits are interested in the "us" style of play and playing for all of those guys that played in the program before them, which we'll glad accept there decision to play for a program that fits the 5 players on the court playing for themselves style.

word. I also believe that whatever happens was meant to be.

the right players will make the right decision and the fact that other players make different decisions means they wouldn't have worked here anyways and so those players, who we can call the wrong players, also make the right decision and basically everything in the end favors the success of KU.

(I'm personally uncertain as to what degree I'm being serious or silly here, but I have faith in it all the same)

#568102 - 08/27/08 11:38 AM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: Hawkstars39]
sensei Offline
[censored] you

Loc: East Lawrence represent!!!
Quote:

I read several message boards concerning our team, this being one of them. I don't post as much as some of you, usually just read and add my opinion when I choose.

It appears the end of the world is coming with the loss of several big time recruits from the past few classes and the possibility of the same from the '09 class. I think we really need to step back and understand that it takes a certain type of player to play here. Just because we when the national title, doesn't mean every top recruit in the country wants to play for Kansas. Kansas gets players that want to buy into the "us' and team philosophy. If recruits believe they are 1 and done players and believe in "me" only, why would they come to Kansas.

Don't you think Self and the coaching staff tell the recruits exactly how it is in the recruiting process. Don't you think the "us" style of play where we make teams guard 5 players on the court instead of 1 or 2 players on the court turns recruits away? They may be interested intially because we are Kansas, but many players want to be told "your IT if you come to Kansas". Do you think our coaching staff tells recruits we WANT you to come to Kansas; we don't NEED you to come to Kansas. There is a big difference between the two. Our coaching staff doesn't tell recruits your IT and we NEED you to player here, obviously.

Its obvious Self's coaching formula works. The players that do commit to Kansas obviously have some sense of wanting to play for a "team", a "family" and be a part of something far bigger than themselves. We get players that want to succeed at a high level, compete for a national championship, play OUR style of basketball, which is different than the majority.

Calmer than you are...

#568103 - 08/27/08 11:39 AM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: sensei]
ColdWarKid Offline
Wildcat Killer

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Will you just take it easy?

#568104 - 08/27/08 12:09 PM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: Hawkstars39]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
I'm fairly certain that HCBS's recruiting philosophy is the same as all the other head coaches at all the other top basketball factories. If it were not we would not be successful. The proof being all the same top schools are listed on all the same top prospects interest list.

You win some, you lose some. Luckily there is enough talent out there to go around. Personally, I refuse to sweat stuff that I have absolutely no control over.

#568105 - 08/27/08 12:33 PM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: Hawkstars39]
rhino Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Kansas
Quote:

www.whopperfreakout.com

#568106 - 08/27/08 12:42 PM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: rhino]
Derek98z Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Raymore, MO
When I think of one and done players, I think of how good they could be with a couple extra years of college ball. See Brandon Rush. Too bad most don't stick around for the ride.

#568107 - 08/27/08 01:20 PM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: rhino]
Hawkstars39 Offline
John Brown

Quote:

Quote:

www.whopperfreakout.com

What exactly is the purpose of your post? Do you have anything meaningful to add to this discussion? And I'm not sure where your logic is headed saying that I'm "freaking out" over starting a conversation about the type of player Self recruits to play at Kansas. If you want to criticize my post then criticize it with words.

#568108 - 08/27/08 01:51 PM Re: Recruiting at Kansas [Re: ColdWarKid]
swishymcjayhawk Offline
get off my lawn

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

Will you just take it easy?

i'm perfectly calm, Dude.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview