Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#567908 - 08/26/08 10:56 PM C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!!
blearned69 Offline
Big Dipper

#567909 - 08/26/08 10:57 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: blearned69]
FSCHawk Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Nailin' Palin
We've landed on the moon!

#567910 - 08/26/08 10:59 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: FSCHawk]
NDballer13 Offline
kusports.net

Loc: North Dakota
Is it really a big set back that Kansas didn't sign a guy who has spent the last, what, 3 years playing baseball instead of basketball? Probably still be a great player, but has a little catching up to do.

Of course that's just my opinion and I don't follow the recruiting process as close as some of you. I check the posts here and stuff, but don't go google to see if any new news on Lance Stephenson has come up or anything.

#567911 - 08/26/08 11:01 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: FSCHawk]
Str8balliN Offline
str8 d0uch3

Quote:

Incredible

#567912 - 08/26/08 11:02 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: NDballer13]
PaperLantern Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Quote:

Is it really a big set back that Kansas didn't sign a guy who has spent the last, what, 3 years playing baseball instead of basketball? Probably still be a great player, but has a little catching up to do.

Of course that's just my opinion and I don't follow the recruiting process as close as some of you. I check the posts here and stuff, but don't go google to see if any new news on Lance Stephenson has come up or anything.

I think you've missed the point.

#567913 - 08/26/08 11:03 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: PaperLantern]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

That moon landing was BS.

#567914 - 08/26/08 11:04 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Hawklin]
blearned69 Offline
Big Dipper

Agree!

#567915 - 08/26/08 11:05 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: PaperLantern]
NDballer13 Offline
kusports.net

Quote:

Quote:

Nah, the point was that CJ signing with Memphis is a reason people think Xavier won't go to Kansas. Again this is just a personal opinion, but I'm assuming growing up he was always CJ's little brother. So maybe he thinks going to the same school as him would bring that back, so he goes someplace else (Kansas for example) to make his own history.

#567916 - 08/26/08 11:14 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: NDballer13]
Str8balliN Offline
str8 d0uch3

What a story the couldn't make it in pro ball big bro goes to the fall back school that couldn't win a NC. The real deal lil bro goes to the real deal big boys school that won and will win another NC.

#567917 - 08/26/08 11:16 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: NDballer13]
PaperLantern Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nah, the point was that CJ signing with Memphis is a reason people think Xavier won't go to Kansas. Again this is just a personal opinion, but I'm assuming growing up he was always CJ's little brother. So maybe he thinks going to the same school as him would bring that back, so he goes someplace else (Kansas for example) to make his own history.

Ok my bad. In your post it seemed like you were completely unaware that this guy was X's bro.

#567918 - 08/26/08 11:24 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: PaperLantern]
NDballer13 Offline
kusports.net

Lol, no I understand that. Just think that some people look a little to deep into who signs with other teams.

#567919 - 08/26/08 11:37 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: NDballer13]
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Still, with as many times as X has said that he liked memphis because "it felt like family" I would have to imagine that having actual family there could only sweeten the deal...

#567920 - 08/27/08 12:08 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: FSCHawk]
Z8RR8 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Derby, Kansas
Quote:

WHEN THE HELL WAS THIS?!

SOMEONE IS FIRED FOR NOT TELLING ME!

lol

#567921 - 08/27/08 07:26 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Z8RR8]
jaybird Offline
Baby Jay

KU will not land some of these "STARS" because HCBS won't kiss their butts or blow smoke up it. Also they would have to earn their spot on the starting 5 and not be guaranteed it just for showing up. Also they have to go to class.
Maybe someone needed a job at FEDEX.

Edited by jaybird (08/27/08 08:05 AM)

#567922 - 08/27/08 10:00 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: jaybird]
pnasty Offline
Baby Jay

I would think this whole C.J. thing is a bit of a sticky wicket for HCBS. With a limited number of scholarships for '09, I doubt he wanted to use one on C.J. given the uncertainty of his abilities after his years of just playing baseball. However, Self does run the risk now of losing X because he may have (may have) turned CJ away to try to keep his powder dry for the targets he has his sights on (X, Robinson, Wall, Hamilton, Orton, etc). Let's just hope that X makes an independent decision and keeps KU in the mix. We'd love to have him.

#567923 - 08/27/08 10:21 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: pnasty]
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

I would think this whole C.J. thing is a bit of a sticky wicket for HCBS. With a limited number of scholarships for '09, I doubt he wanted to use one on C.J. given the uncertainty of his abilities after his years of just playing baseball. However, Self does run the risk now of losing X because he may have (may have) turned CJ away to try to keep his powder dry for the targets he has his sights on (X, Robinson, Wall, Hamilton, Orton, etc). Let's just hope that X makes an independent decision and keeps KU in the mix. We'd love to have him.

This does make it seem sort of like a desperation move by Memphis, if anything. Maybe X is leaning towards KU so they threw a scholly at his bro, when no one else wanted him, out of desperation. I mean, why would memphis want to waste a scholly on CJ henry if they were already sure that they were getting X? Especially with all the big name recruits having memphis on their list

#567924 - 08/27/08 10:22 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Ryan2845]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
No scholly was possible.
I believe pro athletes are prohibited from accepting athletic schollys.

#567925 - 08/27/08 10:25 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Geezer]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Yankees pay for his school of choice.

#567926 - 08/27/08 10:34 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Hawklin]
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Thanks, I wasn't sure about that.

Just wish he would get it over with and commit to someone already..

#567927 - 08/27/08 10:36 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Ryan2845]
true_blue_2 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Kansas
I guess their parents aren't the type of KU parents I would expect... Heck, if I played for KU and had kids that were that high up there - they'd have no choice. Well, I wouldn't be that harsh, but I certainly wouldn't don the colors of their new school. It would be all black for me, all black. Come on Henrys...put in some more good words for the 'hawks.

#567928 - 08/27/08 10:39 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: true_blue_2]
stevemize Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: World Golf Village, FL
You are right about that. We live in Florida and my wife greaduated from Florida State, but I see to it that there is much more KU apparel in our daughters' closets and drawers than FSU stuff.

#567929 - 08/27/08 10:41 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Ryan2845]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
Quote:

This does make it seem sort of like a desperation move by Memphis, if anything. Maybe X is leaning towards KU so they threw a scholly at his bro, when no one else wanted him, out of desperation. I mean, why would memphis want to waste a scholly on CJ henry if they were already sure that they were getting X? Especially with all the big name recruits having memphis on their list

Had CJ Henry decided to play his college basketball at KU, would you have considered that a desperation move on KU's part? The two schools situation seem almost identical.

#567930 - 08/27/08 10:56 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: MICHHAWK]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Stop with the impartiality. Sheesh.

#567931 - 08/27/08 11:28 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: MICHHAWK]
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Quote:

Had CJ Henry decided to play his college basketball at KU, would you have considered that a desperation move on KU's part? The two schools situation seem almost identical.

Yeah, I would.

#567932 - 08/27/08 12:17 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Ryan2845]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I would.

Fair enough.

The kid is a walk-on as far as the school is concerned. No risk taken at all on the schools part. Why wouldn't a school accept a walk-on that was also a very highly rated kid out of HS. Granted, he has been out of HS for 3 years. But since the school is not giving up a scholly, what do they have to lose?

It would seem that Coach Cal is building a juggernaut there in Memphis.

#567933 - 08/27/08 12:30 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Ryan2845]
pnasty Offline
Baby Jay

Thanks for the clarification. I just read that he is a walk on at Memphis and his bill is paid for by the baseball team. Kind of weird if you think about it --- if he does well it may be to the detriment of the baseball team.

Regarding the parents, I don't blame them at all. C.J. is an adult and has lived in the adult world for 3+ years now. He is more than equiped to make his own decisions.

#567934 - 08/27/08 03:08 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: MICHHAWK]
KU87 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: In the opinion room
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I would.

Fair enough.

The kid is a walk-on as far as the school is concerned. No risk taken at all on the schools part. Why wouldn't a school accept a walk-on that was also a very highly rated kid out of HS. Granted, he has been out of HS for 3 years. But since the school is not giving up a scholly, what do they have to lose?

It would seem that Coach Cal is building a juggernaut there in Memphis.

Good analysis. I hope his brother will be a free thinker and do what is in his best interest as it appears his older sibling has. I hoe he lets us know what is on his mind sooner rather than later.

#567935 - 08/27/08 09:10 PM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: blearned69]
DenverJHawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Denver, CO
I saw this as potentially good news rather than the "Nail in the coffin". It is good news for the following reasons (assumptions):
1.) CJ and X are not as close to each other as say, the Twins
2.) X does not want to play alongside or in the shadow of his older more, wiser brother
3.) CJ and X may compete for minutes in an already strong class of recruits
4.) CJ may now take media attention away from X
5.) X and CJ will be compared to each other each game
6.) Seems like the CJ committment was a surpise to lots of people and maybe including X
7). Etc.....

The Nail could be a valid fear IF:
1.) X and CJ are close brothers and would like to play together
2.) X or CJ do not care if the spotlight is divided between them
3.) X and CJ do not compete for the same position
4.) X and CJ want the chance to win a lot of games with each other and experience college together
5.) Etc........

At the end of the day the surpise committment, the quotes from CJ about his conversation with X and my gut suggests that I look at this glass as half full rather then half empty.

#567936 - 08/28/08 01:38 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: pnasty]
NDballer13 Offline
kusports.net

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. I just read that he is a walk on at Memphis and his bill is paid for by the baseball team. Kind of weird if you think about it --- if he does well it may be to the detriment of the baseball team.

Regarding the parents, I don't blame them at all. C.J. is an adult and has lived in the adult world for 3+ years now. He is more than equiped to make his own decisions.

I've heard some of the same things about Zac Elgie up here in ND. If he decides to sign with an Oakland minor league team and after a few years they don't think it's going to work out. The Oakland franchise will pay for his school that he missed out on by signing with them.

#567937 - 08/28/08 08:25 AM Re: C.J. Henry to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: NDballer13]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Quote:

I've heard some of the same things about Zac Elgie up here in ND. If he decides to sign with an Oakland minor league team and after a few years they don't think it's going to work out. The Oakland franchise will pay for his school that he missed out on by signing with them.

It is commonplace for an education clause to be built into a minor league contract. A friend of mines son just signed a contract with a team in the Ontario Hockey League. The OHL is probably the NHL's top prospect/minor league. This kid has something like a $120,000.00 college fund set aside for him if he chooses to go to school after his contract is up. There is a timetable in which he must start his education by the age of around 25 or lose it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview