Gutter

Loc: Work
Bartman turns down $25,000 offer to sign photo of infamous play
ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 24, 2008, 10:55 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
ROSEMONT, Ill. -- Steve Bartman has refused yet another offer to cash in on the moment he became the most famous -- or infamous -- Chicago Cubs fan in history.

Bartman friend Frank Murtha says that Bartman won't accept an offer of $25,000. For the money, all Bartman would have to do is attend the National Sports Collectors Convention in Rosemont and autograph a photograph taken of when he tipped a foul ball that seemed destined for Cubs' outfielder Moises Alou's glove during a 2003 playoff game with the Florida Marlins.

Bartman was vilified by Cubs fans, who thought that he helped prevent the team from reaching the World Series. Alou has made conflicting statement on whether he would have caught the ball.

Bartman has declined all offers to appear or make money off his brush with fame.

#538209 - 07/24/08 11:14 AM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: larryb]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Bartman is still alive and living in Illinois?

I'm surprised he didn't move to Iceland and change his name to Baldur ... or just hang himself, one or the other!

#538210 - 07/24/08 05:32 PM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: larryb]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom

What a horrible article. Bartmann did not have anything to do with the Cubs not going to the World Series. And yet that article cements it as fact.

Blame the shortstop, who booted the next play instead of turning an inning-ending double play.

Blame Dusty Baker for not inserting Kerry Wood late in Game 6.

Typical Cubs fans crap. Can't take responsibility so blame as many things - goat, black cat, Bartmann - as possible.

#538211 - 07/24/08 06:03 PM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: chiknbut]
digitalkookie Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: ATX
Quote:

What a horrible article. Bartmann did not have anything to do with the Cubs not going to the World Series. And yet that article cements it as fact.

Blame the shortstop, who booted the next play instead of turning an inning-ending double play.

Blame Dusty Baker for not inserting Kerry Wood late in Game 6.

Typical Cubs fans crap. Can't take responsibility so blame as many things - goat, black cat, Bartmann - as possible.

easy chikn...i am a "typical" cubs fan and i blame no one but the players, management and staff. i dont want to speak for everyone here, however, i think more often than not cubs fans realize it was not the fault of bartman, rather their (my) team for the collapse, and subsequent failure...

#538212 - 07/25/08 02:19 PM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: digitalkookie]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Not singling you out, Digital. Just thought the article was atrocious.

#538213 - 07/25/08 02:23 PM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: chiknbut]
digitalkookie Offline
Big Dipper

Quote:

Not singling you out, Digital. Just thought the article was atrocious.

no worries mi amigo...we're all hawks at the end of the day...cheers

#538214 - 07/25/08 03:54 PM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: digitalkookie]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Fukudome sucks nuts. Sit his ass. Pitchers have figured him out. He is worse than Shawon Dunston when he constantly chased balls low and away. Sayonara home slice.

#538215 - 07/25/08 04:25 PM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: larryb]
digitalkookie Offline
Big Dipper

while we're on the subject of cutting dead weight, can we PLEASE get rid of len kasper. he has got to be the biggest milquetoast a$$clown in broadcasting...well, second biggest...mccarver easily takes the cake in terms of baseball guys. good god, i didn't think it could get any worse for the cubs than chip caray, then along comes kasper...nothing new here though...move along...

#538216 - 07/25/08 05:03 PM Nice effort [Re: digitalkookie]
larryb Offline
Gutter

DONE!!!!!!!! Wonder what kind of odds I can get that they play under .500 ball the rest of the way? It's a shame because they are getting some great starting pitching but their relievers and their bats have blown turkey sausages. Time to tinker around Lew. After the weekend you will be fighting for the Wild Card.

#538217 - 07/25/08 05:13 PM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: digitalkookie]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

In the World of Suckdom, Kasper can't hold a candle to Ron Santo.

Sorry. It had to be said.

By the way, my three year old will be experiencing her first Cubs game tomorrow afternoon.

#538218 - 07/25/08 05:18 PM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: chiknbut]
larryb Offline
Gutter

chikn - Ron Santo is painful to listen to. One day I had my Mother in the car and we were listening to a game. My Mother thought he was horrible and she doesn't know the difference between him and a young Jack Buck or Vin Scully.

Hope your daughter enjoys herself. Also hope she doesn't have to experience her first Wrigley Field Mens Room visit.

#538219 - 07/28/08 12:15 PM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: larryb]
LisaT Offline
Max Falkenstein

Anyone enjoy Jeff Samardzija pithching the last few days as much as me? First game a little shaky, but then the save. I am a fan.

Edited by LisaT (07/28/08 12:26 PM)

#538220 - 07/28/08 12:44 PM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: LisaT]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Quote:

Anyone enjoy Jeff Samardzija pithching the last few days as much as me? First game a little shaky, but then the save. I am a fan.

The kid's stuff is flat out nasty. He was a starter in the minors. Maybe the Cubs can come clean about Wood instead of feeding us the usual crap about how he has had a blister for 3 weeks.

#538221 - 07/28/08 12:55 PM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: larryb]
LisaT Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

Quote:

The kid's stuff is flat out nasty. He was a starter in the minors. Maybe the Cubs can come clean about Wood instead of feeding us the usual crap about how he has had a blister for 3 weeks.

I thought he was supposed to back tomorrow? Hope they don't send Smardz back to the minors, would like to see him hang around. We def. need Wood to keep it going though.

#538222 - 07/28/08 01:02 PM Re: Hawklin - No go on Bartman [Re: LisaT]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I thought he was supposed to back tomorrow? Hope they don't send Smardz back to the minors, woul dlike to see him hang around. We def. need Wood to keep it going.

Wonder how he got the blister?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview