Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#474305 - 04/22/08 04:52 PM CUBS
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
Here is the official Cubs thread of the season. I have not seen JDavis and JHAWX75 this season. One guy I know why - the other I am not sure about. ANYWAYS, Cubs are 8-1 in their last 9 games and are kicking ass! Outscored the opponents 80-21 in the last 9 games. There is a fever rising in this city and I am not sure it is going to pass in the near future. This team is flat out good. At least for now. I can see visions of the Cubs winning the World Series on my Birthday.

#474306 - 04/22/08 09:45 PM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
JDavis aka "Mr. Meltdown" will likely never be back. Not sure why 75 has not been around. I really miss having Jeter sucks arguments with him. Anyway Cubs look good but as one Cub fan to another you know they will melt in some horrific fashion. It's just what they do.

#474307 - 04/24/08 06:56 AM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
As a rabid Cub hater, I look forward to the usual and customary Cub June swoon.

#474308 - 04/24/08 08:08 AM Re: CUBS [Re: jammahawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Quote:

As a rabid Cub hater, I look forward to the usual and customary Cub June swoon.

06 was a swoon. Not to sure about any other year this millenium. I doubt the Cubs will continue at a .714 winning percentage pace but I like how they are playing right now. Sorry you are a Cubs hater. I admit I hate most Cubs fans but then again I hate most people.

#474309 - 04/24/08 08:10 AM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

Loc: Mile High City
I got to watch their 10,000th win last night.

Yay.

#474310 - 04/24/08 08:28 AM Re: CUBS [Re: gquinn225]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Sorry your team lost. Did you stay for the entire game?

#474311 - 04/24/08 08:38 AM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

Loc: Mile High City
yes

#474312 - 04/24/08 08:38 AM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
LisaT Offline
Max Falkenstein

Kerry Wood is a stud, go Cubbies!

#474313 - 04/24/08 11:08 AM Re: CUBS [Re: LisaT]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Cubs, Cubs fans, Wrigley Field = Suck.

#474314 - 04/24/08 11:16 AM Re: CUBS [Re: Hawklin]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Quote:

I have to say it is hard to argue with you. BUT.... Right now the Cubs DON'T suck, Cubs fans DO suck, and Wrigley as far as stadiums go - sucks but is also a fantastic place to watch a Baseball game.

#474315 - 04/24/08 12:18 PM Re: CUBS [Re: Hawklin]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom
Quote:

At first I wanted to get on here and say "hey, it's not all bad. Wrigley's a great stadium." Then I started thinking about the cramped seating, bad sight lines, obstructed views, troughs in the bathrooms, and I'm starting to agree.

I think this will be the Cubs' year for a number of reasons. They are playing terrific baseball - and isn't it just like Cubs fans to get cocky about their team three weeks into the season?

Plus the Division absolutely sucks. Milwaukee is not as good as last year and their bullpen is bad, St. Louis is a frawd, Cincinnatti is bad, Houston is down and the Pirates are the Pirates.

The Cubs have benefitted by scheduling - playing the Pirates six times in the first 21 games.

I heard a report today that the Cubs - at 15-6 - are off to the best start since "the historic 1969 season." Obviously the sports broadcaster was a Cubs fan because anyone with half a brain would realize that the 1969 team didn't win squat.

I'll still go to games - looking forward to it. And I'm more than willing to go down in flames as a White Sox fan.

But this will be the year for the Cubs. Well, at least until they run into the Diamonbacks again.

#474316 - 04/24/08 12:39 PM Re: CUBS [Re: chiknbut]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Dont forget bad concessions, cement falling on your head and a terrible location. You can pay to be under the overhang and miss the gameplay, or you can sit in the bleachers and miss the gameplay. As long as you can take home a pink Cubbies shirt and an orange skank its awesome! You'll just be out 300 bucks and have a scorching case of herpes.

#474317 - 04/24/08 12:55 PM Re: CUBS [Re: Hawklin]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Wrigley has all the things wrong with it that you mention and yet there is still something magical about watching a game there. Going to C-town is not complete without a Cubs game. I love it warts and all.

Edited by jayhwk01 (04/24/08 12:55 PM)

#474318 - 04/24/08 01:49 PM Re: CUBS [Re: jayhwk01]
LisaT Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

Wrigley has all the things wrong with it that you mention and yet there is still something magical about watching a game there. Going to C-town is not complete without a Cubs game. I love it warts and all.

What he said

#474319 - 04/24/08 01:54 PM Re: CUBS [Re: Hawklin]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

My favorite new trend at Wrigley are the vendors selling the Japanese headbands for Fukadome.

One of the renegade vendors has his own version with the words "Horry Kow" printed on the side. I'm totally serious.

So, anyone who wants to talk about how this world is too PC, see above.

I still like seeing games there. But when buying into a family package this year I had to take two less games. Getting very, very, very expensive.

#474320 - 04/24/08 02:45 PM Re: CUBS [Re: jayhwk01]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Quote:

Has there ever been magic at Wrigley?

Except for Bartman?

#474321 - 04/24/08 02:45 PM Re: CUBS [Re: jayhwk01]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Quote:

Except for Bartman?

#474322 - 04/24/08 02:56 PM Re: CUBS [Re: Hawklin]
BigDipper05 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Haha, probably the dumbest post of all time. Enjoy your summer at the K surrounded by 10,000 other fans watching the quadruple A ball club and debating if this is the year they finally break through and finish in 4th place.

Kansas City would kill for a team like the Cubs and an atmosphere like Wrigleyville.

#474323 - 04/24/08 03:04 PM Re: CUBS [Re: BigDipper05]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

I lived on Sheffield for 6 years.

Pretty dumb.

But you are right, the Cubs hardware matches up big time to the Royals.

#474324 - 04/24/08 03:30 PM Re: CUBS [Re: Hawklin]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Quote:

Quote:

Except for Bartman?

Yes there has been some amazing things happen there and you know it. You can't buy history and tradition but as a KU fan you already know that don't you.

#474325 - 04/24/08 03:58 PM Re: CUBS [Re: Hawklin]
BigDipper05 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Pretty dumb.

Now I see why you hate the Cubs. I have been in chicago for almost a year now, and for some reason it seems like a lot of Wrigleyville residents can't stand the team based on how gamedays affect their daily lives. It seems like the neighborhhod is always fighting with the team over the amount of night games, parking, stadium noise, etc. Although I don't know what they were expecting in living by a major league ballpark.

#474326 - 04/24/08 04:10 PM Re: CUBS [Re: BigDipper05]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Hawklin says Wrigley is in a terrible location yet he chose to live in that location for 6 years. Pretty Dumb is right! He asks if their has been Magic there - Well let me help him a bit. There was Black Magic in 69. 84, 88, 89, and 03 were magical seasons. Classic Cubs - Cards games are at times magical. I thought the Cubs - White sox and Cubs - Yankess series were magical. Being with my friends or even young relatives who visit Wrigley for the first time could be considered magical. Seeing Sosa and McGuire do "battle" was magical. I could go on and one but as we all know - hawklin finds his magic in finding faults with people and things.

chikn - The Cubs have banned the selling of the Horry Kow shirts. The funny thing is that it was Japanese people who created it. Also, Fukudome was not sure how to respond and was told by the media they were offensive so he was not pleased with them - and out they went. What I also find humorous is that Fukudome said most of the signs that are made have poor translations and many are in Chinese and not Japanese. He also said many of the headbands are worn upside down with out people knowing it.

Edited by larryb (04/24/08 04:27 PM)

#474327 - 04/24/08 04:32 PM Re: CUBS [Re: BigDipper05]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Quote:

Quote:

Pretty dumb.

Now I see why you hate the Cubs. I have been in chicago for almost a year now, and for some reason it seems like a lot of Wrigleyville residents can't stand the team based on how gamedays affect their daily lives. It seems like the neighborhhod is always fighting with the team over the amount of night games, parking, stadium noise, etc. Although I don't know what they were expecting in living by a major league ballpark.

Not really. Just get an upclose look at the fanbase, and magic. Anywhere you live in the city is disruptive. I lived under the L. I had nothing to complain about as far as noise.

Magic people talk about is all fluff for their "Cubs experience".

#474328 - 04/24/08 04:42 PM Re: CUBS [Re: Hawklin]
larryb Offline
Gutter

"Anywhere you live in the city is disruptive." I assume hawklin lived EVERYWHERE in the city to be able to make that assessment.

#474329 - 04/30/08 07:44 AM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Last 5 games the Cubs have been garbage! I figured they would come back to reality but losing 4 of 5 is no good.

#474330 - 04/30/08 09:02 AM Re: CUBS [Re: Hawklin]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Anywhere you live in the city is disruptive.

Not sure exactly what that means, Hawklin. Hope you can explain.

A friend of mine wanted to move to Chicago because he was a big Cubs fan. Originally from Lawrence. He came up and we checked out apartments. He wanted to go to 30 Cubs games a year so he looked at some of the rooms that pass for apartments on Sheffield. Pretty sad. He finally moved over near me in Ukrainian Village because he can still get the Cubs "experience" and yet get away from it when he wanted.

It's not a lot of fun picking beer bottles and cans out of your yard or trying to get to sleep while some drunk frat boy is pissing on your front steps.

Still, for the six or so times I do go to the games, I do enjoy the experience. But it's kind of like taking a weekend trip to New York. It's nice while you're there, but in the end, it's a relief to get out.

#474331 - 05/01/08 09:09 AM Re: CUBS [Re: chiknbut]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Went to the Cubs game last night with a couple of brothers-in-law and came away with a new "Hawklin-like" complaint. As you walk in and get ready to head up the ramps, the smell is absolutely disgusting. Hot dogs, kraut and peppers. The steam from the food has nowhere to go and it just hangs there. Pretty foul.

#474332 - 05/01/08 09:55 AM Re: CUBS [Re: chiknbut]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Quote:

Went to the Cubs game last night with a couple of brothers-in-law and came away with a new "Hawklin-like" complaint. As you walk in and get ready to head up the ramps, the smell is absolutely disgusting. Hot dogs, kraut and peppers. The steam from the food has nowhere to go and it just hangs there. Pretty foul.

At least you were able to see the Cubs hit the crap out of the ball even though you had to deal with the stench. I too think it is disgusting but then there are some who walk in and take a deep whiff, get a big smile on their faces, and then say or think - ahh the smell of a ballpark/Wrigley. Have to say "the Cell" has an unpleasant stench to it as well.

By the way - how big of a deal were people making it that Cuban was there? As I am sure you are aware, the guy might be the next Cubs owner in the near future.

Edited by larryb (05/01/08 10:22 AM)

#474333 - 05/01/08 10:01 AM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
BigDipper05 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

By the way - how big of a deal were people making it that Cuban was there? As i am sure you are aware, the guy might be the next Cubs owner in the near future.

I sure hope he is. Not only will he be willing to spend whatever it takes to win, but it will save us the headache of Selig's buddy James Canning taking control of the team.

The Cubs and Wrigley Field are both money making machines. There is no reason they shouldn't have a payroll as high as the Yanks and Sox.

#474334 - 05/01/08 10:33 AM Re: CUBS [Re: BigDipper05]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Quote:

Quote:

By the way - how big of a deal were people making it that Cuban was there? As i am sure you are aware, the guy might be the next Cubs owner in the near future.

I sure hope he is. Not only will he be willing to spend whatever it takes to win, but it will save us the headache of Selig's buddy James Canning taking control of the team.

The Cubs and Wrigley Field are both money making machines. There is no reason they shouldn't have a payroll as high as the Yanks and Sox.

Now here is where I chime in. I happen to be very familar with John Canning and also happen to be realated to one of the people in his ownership group. They all are die hard Cubs fans and LIVE in Chicago. I can also tell you that collectivly they have as much if not more money than Cuban. Don't get me wrong, I think Cuban would add a lot of excitment in a Donald Trump ego kind of way. I just think MLB would prefer if a Chicagoan (current or former) or Chicago group owned the Cubs. Jerry Colangelo could be that person as well.

#474335 - 05/01/08 10:46 AM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
kugrad05 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Johnson County, KS
The MLB should let Mark Cuban buy the Cubs, they need some new and energetic blood running that team

#474336 - 05/01/08 11:37 AM Re: CUBS [Re: kugrad05]
BigDipper05 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

The MLB should let Mark Cuban buy the Cubs, they need some new and energetic blood running that team

I agree. I also see Cuban as being a man of the common fan. I don't see him participating in some of the shady business practices that the Tribune has done recently. (Scalping tickets to its own fans!)

#474337 - 05/01/08 11:42 AM Re: CUBS [Re: BigDipper05]
kugrad05 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Johnson County, KS
Quote:

Quote:

I agree. I also see Cuban as being a man of the common fan. I don't see him participating in some of the shady business practices that the Tribune has done recently. (Scalping tickets to its own fans!)

I know that he has a tendency to be a little overinvolved with his teams, but the Dallas Mavericks have some of the best facilities in the NBA and Cuban is always willing to spend money on good players. He would be a pain in the butt for the commish and the other MLB owners but I think his pros outweigh the cons.

#474338 - 05/01/08 12:07 PM Re: CUBS [Re: kugrad05]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know that he has a tendency to be a little overinvolved with his teams, but the Dallas Mavericks have some of the best facilities in the NBA and Cuban is always willing to spend money on good players. He would be a pain in the butt for the commish and the other MLB owners but I think his pros outweigh the cons.

I have to agree with you. I very much respect his passion and he is a fantastic owner to his players. His first role just MIGHT be to tear down Wrigley and provide better facilities. That just might be a great thing but I am not too sure how the die hards and old timers would respond?

#474339 - 05/01/08 12:21 PM Re: CUBS [Re: kugrad05]
jhawksteve Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: St. Charles, IL
Quote:

I completely agree. However, I don't think MLB will ever let Cuban buy the Cubs.

#474340 - 05/01/08 12:36 PM Re: CUBS [Re: jhawksteve]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Quote:

Quote:

I completely agree. However, I don't think MLB will ever let Cuban buy the Cubs.

Zell is energetic and is the "new" owner of the team. It's just that the same guys are running the team and they are making a lot of money doing it. I am not too sure how it works. If Zell sells to Cuban how and why does MLB have the right to veto the sale? Does anyone know?

#474341 - 05/01/08 12:42 PM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
jhawksteve Offline
Phog Fanatic

If I am not mistaken, the sale of any team needs to be approved by the owners.

#474342 - 05/01/08 01:17 PM Re: CUBS [Re: jhawksteve]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Quote:

I believe you are correct and that is an interesting rule. Probably the owners "own" MLB and they have the right to veto any sales. I wonder what the legality differences are if it is a compnay buying and selling vs. individuals? Maybe none.

#474343 - 05/01/08 01:36 PM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
BigDipper05 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Quote:

I believe you are correct and that is an interesting rule. Probably the owners "own" MLB and they have the right to veto any sales. I wonder what the legality differences are if it is a compnay buying and selling vs. individuals? Maybe none.

What I think is interesting about the sale of the Cubs, is since the Tribune is the owner selling, don't they have an obligation to their shareholders to sell to the highest bidder regardless as to who Selig and the owners approve? I guess I am confused as to how this whole thing wiil play out.

#474344 - 05/01/08 02:53 PM Re: CUBS [Re: BigDipper05]
jhawksteve Offline
Phog Fanatic

Let me preface this with:
1) I am guessing at this
2) I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I believe MLB is a private company. With the owners being the "board of directors." Buy a franchise and you are part owner of MLB. So MLB "corporate" is essentially a holding company of all the individual teams.

BigDipper - interesting question about the Tribue Company maximizing shareholder value. Would shareholders have a legal case if Cuban offer $1 billion for the Cubs, but MLB rejected the sale, only to have it sold for less??

#474345 - 05/01/08 04:28 PM Re: CUBS [Re: jhawksteve]
ClintNormore Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: St. Louis

C ompletely

U seless

B y

S eptember

#474346 - 05/01/08 05:00 PM Re: CUBS [Re: ClintNormore]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Clint - I loved you as a Jayhawk. I do have to say the Cubs were not useless by September in two of the last five years. Now October is another story.

#474347 - 05/02/08 03:36 PM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
OSTKU1 Offline
Prairie Warrior

hey chicago whatta say.. the cubs are gonna lose today

#474348 - 05/02/08 04:10 PM Re: CUBS [Re: chiknbut]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Quote:

If you live in the city, you will hear disruptive noises like:

The EL, drunk people screaming for no reason, sirens, cabs / cars honking, neighbors.. etc.

#474349 - 05/02/08 04:24 PM Re: CUBS [Re: Hawklin]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Quote:

Quote:

If you live in the city, you will hear disruptive noises like:

The EL, drunk people screaming for no reason, sirens, cabs / cars honking, neighbors.. etc.

All noises I heard in Lawrence and the town of 20,000 I grew up in - except for the El. I did hear freight and passenger trains on ocassion.

I have to say I appreciate that hawklin responded with out an attack.

I do have to agree that there are disruptive things in many parts of the city but there are parts that are actually just as quite as most suburban neighborhoods.

#474350 - 05/06/08 12:32 PM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
larryb Offline
Gutter

CUBS are back to being the FLUBS. I am supposed to go to a game next week and figure by that time they might be .500 and in 4th place. GARBAGE! The White Sux are playing some horrible baseball too. Bears should blow this year and the Bulls will suck next season too. I suppose it could be worse. I could be a K.C. sports fan.

#474351 - 05/07/08 03:51 PM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Now I am pissed off! Unless the Cubs get some starting pitching they will be done by June.

#474352 - 05/07/08 04:13 PM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
ClintNormore Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: St. Louis
Quote:

Now I am pissed off! Unless the Cubs get some starting pitching they will be done by June.

The baseball season is L O N G, no sense in getting too worked up this early. The Redbirds are really playing some good ball right now and getting a huge and unexpected lift from their rotation - LaRussa and Dave Duncan are working magic. Time will tell however if they will hold up, and you have to think Milwaukee will get the ship righted at some point.

The Cubs have the better team on paper, but that always doesn't equate to wins. That and they are, of course, the Cubs.

#474353 - 05/07/08 04:45 PM Re: CUBS [Re: ClintNormore]
larryb Offline
Gutter

The Cubs have one quality starter and that's it. How freaking dumb can they be to spend as much money as they are and only have about five players on the roster who actually have one established posistion that they play. Their Pitching staff has a starter as a closer, a closer as a set up guy, a set up guy as a starter, etc. etc. The only posistion guys who have a known posistion each day are Lee, Ramierez, and Soto otherwise it's a crap shoot on who will play where. I compare it to an NBA team that has one center and 11 guards. The team looked so good 10 days ago and now looks like garbage. Just a Cubs fan doing some venting.

#474354 - 05/07/08 08:28 PM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: On the sofa
Gutter, what made you think this year would be any different than the last 99 years?

I'm a Royals fan so go ahead and bash away, but at least I don't go into each year any more seriously thinking that the Royals are going to win the World Series.

#474355 - 05/08/08 02:24 AM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: Frost Arena
Is Lou this stubborn? I've never liked Soriano at leadoff and we all know what the Cubs did when Soriano was out. Get the damn freeswinger out of leadoff and put a true leadoff hitter there. And why is the guy who takes the most pitches in MLB batting 5th??????? Isn't that a guy you would kill to have bat #2 for you, after a stolen base threat (Theriot) and in front of run producers (Lee, Ramirez, Soriano, Soto)??? My lineup:

1.) Theriot - SS
2.) Fukudome - RF
3.) Lee - 1B
4.) Soriano - LF
5.) Ramirez - 3B
6.) Soto - C
7.) DeRosa/Fontnot - 2B
8.) Johnson - CF

#474356 - 05/08/08 02:30 AM Re: CUBS [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

I'm a Royals fan so go ahead and bash away, but at least I don't go into each year any more seriously thinking that the Royals are going to win the World Series.

So this is a GOOD thing? The Royals are so bad that you begin each year with no hope? At least the Cubs management, however inept, TRY to put a winner on the field.

#474357 - 05/08/08 07:24 AM Re: CUBS [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

East Coast - Nice that an "East Coast" guy/girl can still be a Royals fan! Nothing made me think the Cubs would win the World Series but at least I thought they would win their division. Now I am not so sure about that.

SDakota - It's funny when guys like you and me think we know more than the Managers and G.M.'s. Often I really believe we do. I am often wrong too.

#474358 - 05/08/08 07:58 AM Re: CUBS [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Quote:

So this is a GOOD thing? The Royals are so bad that you begin each year with no hope? At least the Cubs management, however inept, TRY to put a winner on the field.

Or it could be

Me = realistic.

Cubs fans = idiots.

Yes, the Cubs are well-know for Trying to put winners on the field. Puh-leaze. Maybe the last 5-10 years, but that's about it.

Edited by EastCoastJHawk (05/08/08 08:01 AM)

#474359 - 05/08/08 08:00 AM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

East Coast - Nice that an "East Coast" guy/girl can still be a Royals fan! Nothing made me think the Cubs would win the World Series but at least I thought they would win their division. Now I am not so sure about that.

After being a Royals fan for over 20 years, it's hard to change your loyalties. Just like you are still a KU fan despite living in Chicago.

And don't give up on the division yet, I think the scrubs will still contend and could easily win it.

#474360 - 05/08/08 08:37 AM Re: CUBS [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

My sister has lived away from Chicago for close to 30 years. Lived in Boston for about 5 and then D.C. She became a Boston Celtics, Bruins, and Red Sox fan as well as when she moved to D.C. an Orioles, Caps, and now Nats fan. Her alligence has always been to Chicago. She did actually admit to me for the first time she found her self rooting for the Nats against the Cubs a few weeks ago in D.C. I asked her how could she? Her response was if she (and others) doesn't root for the Nats, they will lose their team in the next 5-10 years. I told her that might be a blessing.

#474361 - 05/08/08 11:11 AM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

SDakota - It's funny when guys like you and me think we know more than the Managers and G.M.'s. Often I really believe we do. I am often wrong too.

True...very true.

But Soriano at leadoff??? A big swing and miss guy? A guy that is struggling this year? Especially when he was on the DL and the Cubs had true leadoff guys batting leadoff and they played the best ball so far this year. I just don't get it....and I'm not the only one.

#474362 - 05/08/08 11:15 AM Re: CUBS [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

Me = realistic.

Cubs fans = idiots.
Quote:

I am very realistic. All the hype about the Cubs this preseason and I said they still needed another bat, a starter and bullpen guy.

Quote:

Yes, the Cubs are well-know for Trying to put winners on the field. Puh-leaze. Maybe the last 5-10 years, but that's about it.

All the while the Royals are sticking the revenue sharing check from Steinbrenner in their pockets and throwing a cellar dwellar team of has-beens and never-will-be's on the field. Fun!

#474363 - 05/08/08 11:38 AM Re: CUBS [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Quote:

Me = realistic.

Cubs fans = idiots.
Quote:

I am very realistic. All the hype about the Cubs this preseason and I said they still needed another bat, a starter and bullpen guy.

Quote:

All the while the Royals are sticking the revenue sharing check from Steinbrenner in their pockets and throwing a cellar dwellar team of has-beens and never-will-be's on the field. Fun!

in response to the "never-will-be's": many good players are former Royals.

You say the scrubs management are trying to put a championship team on the field. They are failing miserably.(again, this is a relatively recent occurance)

Royal's management has been trying to turn a profit and due to the Yankees and Red Sox checks, they have been succeeding from what I hear.

So the Royal's management team are hitting their goals.

BTW - SD, don't be so touchy. I was just giving gutter some crap. Don't be so sensitive, I just was wondering why a cubs fan is so vastly disappointed after all this time? I live in the Philly area and do the same with Phillies and Eagles fans as they think their teams are going to win the championship EVERY STInKING YEAR despite history saying otherwise.

That's great you are one of the many who have jumped on the lovable losers bandwagon over the last 20 years.

(hint - that last statement is just a jibe, don't take it personally)

#474364 - 05/08/08 11:39 AM Re: CUBS [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Oh and SD - you make fun of the Royals being cellar dwellars, you might want to check out the history of your oh-so-beloved scrubs over the last 100 years. Not a lot of high-points there.

#474365 - 05/08/08 12:26 PM Re: CUBS [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

.in response to the "never-will-be's": many good players are former Royals.
Quote:

True....b/c the Royals dump 'em before they have to pay 'em. Wonderful.

Quote:

You say the scrubs management are trying to put a championship team on the field. They are failing miserably.(again, this is a relatively recent occurance)

Royal's management has been trying to turn a profit and due to the Yankees and Red Sox checks, they have been succeeding from what I hear.

So the Royal's management team are hitting their goals.
Quote:

I would go out on a limb and say the Cubs make twice what the Royals do...at least.

Quote:

BTW - SD, don't be so touchy. I was just giving gutter some crap. Don't be so sensitive, I just was wondering why a cubs fan is so vastly disappointed after all this time?
Quote:

Waaa? I'm the touchy and sensitive one? You should probably re-read our last posts. I am not "vastly" dispaointed. Sure I want them to win every day, but I don't have near the same passion about them as I do KU and SDSU.

Quote:

That's great you are one of the many who have jumped on the lovable losers bandwagon over the last 20 years.

The are a ton of Cubs fans everywhere for mainly one big reason - WGN and Harry Caray. That's how I got hooked some 20 years ago. I am not a fan of the AL so that ruled out the nearby Twins, Royals and Brewers and the Cubs were on TV nearly daily. Not only that but we get them on AM and FM up here. It's been fun.

#474366 - 05/08/08 12:28 PM Re: CUBS [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

Oh and SD - you make fun of the Royals being cellar dwellars, you might want to check out the history of your oh-so-beloved scrubs over the last 100 years. Not a lot of high-points there.

I make fun of the Royals MANAGEMENT for continuing to put a turd on the field. I would never make fun of a fan for following a loser. The opposite would be for a fan to only support winners or jump ship every year to a winning team. I HATE those people.

#474367 - 05/12/08 06:37 AM Re: CUBS [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Cubs fans broke out the brooms yesterday after sweeping the N.L. leading D-Backs. I said to someone on Friday that it seems the Cubs play at the level of their competition. Nice that the Cubs won 3 in a row without Zambrano pitching.

#474368 - 05/13/08 12:17 PM Re: CUBS [Re: larryb]
rockchalk6 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: prison capitol of the world
Zambrano=out of control idiot

I just love to see him meltdown, and I really miss Dusty Farakan.

#474369 - 05/13/08 12:44 PM Re: CUBS [Re: rockchalk6]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Zambrano is out of control and an idiot on ocassion but he happens to be a heck of a competitor. He is hitting almost as well as Jeter too. In terms of Crusty - he often made me look smart. Not sure why anyone would pay the man millions to manage major league baseball players. Give him a weak team and he can't manage his way out of a paper bag.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview