Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#469717 - 04/17/08 11:41 PM Kuck Fansas *****
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Topeka
There's only 1 good thing about this godforsaken sheethole of a state... KU.

I've applied at 178 different jobs since nov. 9th. To date - ZERO calls back. I have 2 weeks of funds left. I'd like to thank Target for wrongfully firing me.

This state sure does know how to bring a person down.

To top it off, the insurance company we were with got sold. The new one wants me to side the house within 60 days. Are you PHUCKING KIDDING ME? I'll go rob a bank you asholes.

I'm not bitter though. I'm just going to take my computer building, Television station operating, house remodeling, software troubleshooting, pro audio equipment repairing ass to McDonalds.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Phuk this state.

#469718 - 04/17/08 11:43 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

sorry, 13 ...

#469719 - 04/17/08 11:46 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: sevenyearhawk]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

oh, by the way. Mails goin out tomorrow. Just haven't had a chance to get to it till now.

#469720 - 04/17/08 11:56 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

no worries, don't forget the Western!

#469721 - 04/18/08 12:01 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
brando Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: anywhere there is beer...
178? I would hate to see how many I applied for while I was still at KU....hell ones that I am still applying for....the only "call back" I had besides the ones that came with applying through the KU career services was one for the OP Convention & Vistors Bureau...the dude was an ass during the interview...

BUT all the ones I applied through KU...never got past a first interview...not my fault that i have experience...

actually had a company ask me "so you have management experience...why do you want to go back to entry level"...I was like "because I have a family to support and you have to start somewhere...I can take what I have learned in the past and combine it with what you desire to help drive your company in the direction you want to go..."

[censored]

#469722 - 04/18/08 12:04 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: brando]
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Yeah apparently the job market blows right now. I have several friends graduating this year and none of them have been able to find full-time jobs yet.

#469723 - 04/18/08 03:30 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Ryan2845]
OREAD Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

May not be in time, but Cessna is building a new plant in Wichita for manufacture of their new business jet. They are supposed to hire 300 immediately and 1,000 total.

#469724 - 04/18/08 03:45 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: OREAD]
mushhawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: State, Country
don't talk trash on the state of Kansas, or use the muck fizzou term on Kansas, 13hawk.
KU isn't the only good thing about the state of Kansas.

it's hard to find a job anywhere. big companies like target are everywhere and seldomly appreciate good employees, like i assume you are.

our health care and insurance company system isn't set up for the benefit of the consumer unfortunately. it's set up to make the insurance companies rich.

tell you what, once bush and company get out of office, the dems will favor the people, not the corporations, will spend $ on health care and will improve the economy, helping your job market.

worry not! good things are to come, starting 2009. hopefully, barack will be that next pres!

i'll give you one thing though. our state congress is very right wing/pro big business, like the bushies! so, that doesn't help your situation. overall it's more of a federal problem though.

.....but this is not a political board, so i digress!

moral of the story, sorry things are going $hitty. it's not all the state of Kansas's fault. good things are to come. lift your head up. we fellow jayhawk fans are cheering for you!

#469725 - 04/18/08 06:49 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: mushhawk]
jayheel Offline
Under New Management

Loc: Spencer Basement
It's not the state. It's your networking. Find a place you'd like to work and get busy meeting people there.

As for your insurance company, they suck everywhere, not just in Kansas.

#469726 - 04/18/08 08:04 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: jayheel]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes 13Hawk! Ever think 13 may not be a lucky number for you? Maybe if you become 12 or 14 hawk your luck will change? Are you willing to relocate? There are 49 other states in the country that don't suck. You stated Target fired you. Downsizing or something you did to deserve to be fired? Unless you elaborate, I find it almost unbelievable you applied for 178 different jobs and did not get one call back. Have you used an employment finding service? Are you applying for jobs you are not qualified for? Do you have a swastika tattooed on your forehead? Just trying to get a sense of why you have had such bad luck. Can't be the fault of the STATE of Kansas. There are job openings in Kansas.

#469727 - 04/18/08 08:04 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: mushhawk]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin, TX USA
Quote:

tell you what, once bush and company get out of office, the dems will favor the people, not the corporations, will spend $ on health care and will improve the economy, helping your job market.

Where will the dems get the $ to spend on health care?

Answer: tax dollars from your pocket.

BTW, the corporations ARE what drive our economy.

Oh wait, this isn't the politics board....nevermind.

#469728 - 04/18/08 08:08 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Rivethead]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

13Hawk - it's up to you, not the state, to get you a job.

Incidentally, there are a ton of jobs here in Austin......and some very beautiful women as well.

#469729 - 04/18/08 08:19 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Rivethead]
English_Jayhawk Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: England
sorry to hear you still having problems 13!!! Surely someone must be crying out for the skills you have??

#469730 - 04/18/08 09:49 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Rivethead]
Jhwk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Those your real teeth?
Quote:

Quote:

Where will the dems get the $ to spend on health care?

Answer: tax dollars from your pocket.

BTW, the corporations ARE what drive our economy.

Oh wait, this isn't the politics board....nevermind.

damn, beat me to it.

Best way to get a job? Go gorilla and do face to face, resume handin' out grip and grins. People have a hard time ignoring someone who is standing in front of them.

Never give up.

#469731 - 04/18/08 09:53 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Jhwk]
Jenny Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Kansas
I work for a conveyor engineering company, we can't enough people. Every engineering firm in the Kansas City area (except the automotive engineering firms) are hiring.

#469732 - 04/18/08 09:57 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Jenny]
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

I work for a conveyor engineering company, we can't enough people. Every engineering firm in the Kansas City area (except the automotive engineering firms) are hiring.

+1, this thread makes me glad to be an engineering major. When I graduated last year I got an offer from every company I interviewed with.

#469733 - 04/18/08 10:04 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Ryan2845]
sensei Offline
[censored] you

Loc: East Lawrence represent!!!
I agree the state of Kansas sucks. Bad. That's why I'm getting the heck out.

#469734 - 04/18/08 10:09 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: sensei]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Get the heck out and you find it was a heck of alot better than you thought.

#469735 - 04/18/08 10:15 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Hawklin]
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Your mom's house
I'm still moving back, no matter what you clowns say!

#469736 - 04/18/08 10:20 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: English_Jayhawk]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

OK, here's a copy and paste from
THIS post for LarryB. At the beginning of the post I'm talking about why I was no longer at Channel 13 (thus the 13hawk). Someone thought I was fired from there.

Quote:

"I built the station, ran it, and when they switched management - the new guy told me I would never make more than 11$ an hour. I told him I was at 17$ already... he said "not anymore". So I went to Target Distribution Center.

Fast forward 3.5 years.

I worked Non-con at target, and did Inventory Management. Non-con is all the heavy/expensive stuff (HDTVs, furniture)... I caught a firepit that fell out of the rack while I was 55 feet in the air. The firepit weighed 155 Lbs. = Back injury. They tried to send me home without pay, and I refused. I told them I would take light duty work - just like the 4 other people that were on LD because of injury. Management looked at me funny after that. Did the recommended re-hab and went back to work ahead of schedule.

Fast forward 2 more months.

My niece is born, and my brother wants me to be godfather. No problem. I ask my supervisors 2 MONTHS in advance for the day off. No can do they tell me, we already have 2 people off that day. The 2 people off were 2 guys that had every weekend off for fantasy football. I tell them I wont be there - even offer to find my own replacement.

I call in on the day of the baptism - as is policy - and come into work the next day. I was pulled off the floor and told I was being investigated for "safety violations"... of which there were none of course. A safety violation is the only way - by Target policy - they can fire someone without following a due process.

I ask for proof repeatedly, none was given. I talked to the HR people about it, and was told "I would have closure by the end of the week". They called 1 day before my shift began and told me not to even come back on the property. They said I could fill out an appeal if I thought I had been fired wrongly, but I only had 7 calender days to do it.

Target mailed the packet needed to do that TWICE without postage - certified. I called and complained. They mailed it the third time - 1 day after the deadline. Then I get the Kansas Department of Labor finding that stated clearly that I was fired for missing 1 day of work - "which was found to be justified".

Kansas is an "At Will" employ state - which means that there is nothing... NOTHING I can do about it. I've applied at just about everything here in town short of fast food (because at that payrate - I'll lose the house)... and haven't even got 1 call back.

For the record, I DON'T think it's the states' job to find me a job. I DO think that if the state - and especially the city of topeka - weren't so goddamned good at running businesses off, this wouldn't be an issue for me. My favorite job was a place called Accelerated Care Plus. I built medical equipment like Shortwave Diathermies and Muscle stimulators. Topeka ripped the carpet out from under us by offering some nice tax incentives then not following through on them just 2 years after they offered (after we had constructed the building and began business). This city does this to everyone.

Target is another example. They gave Target a tax break on their property. The stipulation was that they maintained a certain number of employees. The contract doesn't specify how to define "employee" so Target assumed that they meant ANYONE employed by them. Full time, Part time, seasonal, contract... Target is way over the stipulated number set forth in the contract as defined by Target... but the city of topeka decided that they were going to interpret the contract as "regular full time employees ONLY". So after giving them a tax break for 2 years, they up and decide to change the agreement. That's probably why Target decided to get rid of the people like me that made 19 dollars an hour in favor of hiring a bunch of people at 12 dollars an hour - to fulfill the number made up by the city.

There are countless other examples of the exact same thing going on in both this city and this state. Thats why almost every major corporation has left topeka. Payless shoe source is the latest. They are closing up shop here after decades of residency because it will be cheaper for them to build and operate 2 seperate distribution centers out of this state than it is to operate 1 here.

I was halfway done remodeling my house when Target decided to get rid of me. I can't move. Thanks to the politicians in office right now (both Dem. and GOP) the banking system is so screwed up right now we'd probably lose money trying to sell our house anyway. My wife is a banker and handles all of the mortgage side of her bank - believe me, I know. Also thanks to the politicians the price of gas is too damned high for me to drive to even Lawrence - let alone KC - to go to work.

As far as people needing my skills... probably. My problem there is this - I have an education in Electronics Technology and Systems Repair. I can fix electronics the old fashioned way - take it apart, find the part thats broken, and fix the part. --- NOONE does it that way anymore. Now you take a whole board out of something and slap a new one in and off you go. I'm skilled in computers... I'm skilled with audio and video equipment... But I don't have a degree in them. I'm halfway through my studies for both A+ certification and CCNA certifications... but halfway doesn't get you hired. 10 years ago my education was the right choice. This year it is worthless. I'm "scary-smart" ( heh)... but noone hires people based on potential nowadays (except the NBA).

... and as far as temp or recruiting agencies goes... how about : Addecco, Key staffing, Manpower, Westaff, Premier recruiting, Bossler Brown, Express Personnel. It really isn't like I'm not trying here guys... thats what has me so damned infuriated and suicidal.

#469737 - 04/18/08 10:21 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Hawklin]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Get the heck out and you find it was a heck of alot better than you thought.

AMEN!

tb, you're going to have some re-adjustment ... the pace of life is different here, we went through reverse culture shock when we moved back.

#469738 - 04/18/08 10:24 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Long story short guys - thanks for the support one way or the other. Last night was just a bad night. I don't have any friends here in town anymore, and I really needed someone to talk to. Even if this is just a collection of dots on a phosphorus screen... it made me feel a little better.

I'll find a way to make it all work. Everyone always does. But it doesn't mean we can't bitch about it while we are doing it.

#469739 - 04/18/08 10:25 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

My bad 13! That's horrible! Not that it matters to you but I am going to boycott Target after reading that. I now somewhat understand your hatred towards Kansas as well. I don't know how I can help you but if I can/could I would be more than happy to try.

#469740 - 04/18/08 10:34 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: larryb]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

is there a lawyer on the board?

#469741 - 04/18/08 10:35 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: sevenyearhawk]
DarthJayhawk Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Hatin' Mark May
13hawk,
I'm sorry about your luck(or lack of it.) It must be really frustrating to have several skill sets and not be able to find employment with any of them. Maybe by looking outside those areas that you are familiar with you will find something that will work. I'm currently in a job that I never thought I would be doing. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't, but at least I have a job, and it's better than a lot of alternatives.

#469742 - 04/18/08 10:36 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: larryb]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

Loc: Mile High City
Quote:

I don't know how I can help you but if I can/could I would be more than happy to try.

go to his website. click on donate.

#469743 - 04/18/08 10:36 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: larryb]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

I KNOW how you could help me.

#469744 - 04/18/08 10:37 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

the hell with that 13....topeka is too close to lawrence...there would be too much fallout hitting the city.

the nuke is a no go.

#469745 - 04/18/08 10:41 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: larryb]
WDNR2007 Offline
Peasant-O-Douche

Loc: Boulder, CO
Has anyone looked over your resume? I don't know what kind of jobs you are applying for but if you are applying to medium/large corporations with HR departments, there may be something in your resume (in addition to not having a degree) that is resulting in you being screened out before your qualifications are considered.

I'm certainly not advocating lying here, don't get me wrong. And I'm not making assumptions...your resume is probably great. Just throwing one more suggestion out there. I had a business professor a couple of years ago who was a VP of IBM before retiring to teach. He gave us a lot of good information on how to write a good resume, what companies look for, etc. Anyway, if you're at all interested I could scan it in and e-mail it to you. Might sound ridiculous, but hey...desperate times call for desperate measures.

But, as others have said...job market sucks everywhere. Love to have you on the board, but jayheel is right...you should be out meeting people however you can. I'm graduating this summer and I already have an awesome job lined up because I was assertive at a dinner party at a friend's parent's place. Good luck.

#469746 - 04/18/08 10:53 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: gquinn225]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Here GQ... I'll go bigger so nobody in Lawrence would notice... maybe 10 Megatons?

No... maybe bigger... how about 57 Megatons?

#469747 - 04/18/08 10:55 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: gquinn225]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know how I can help you but if I can/could I would be more than happy to try.

go to his website. click on donate.

If you can't buy him a beer in person, at least send him five bucks!

#469748 - 04/18/08 11:01 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: WDNR2007]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Thanks WDNR. I needed a day off. Most people in HR departments either aren't in on fridays or don't care about anything that happens on friday... so it's sheetrock day for me.

I guess if you get really, REALLY bored you could scan it... but I've actually had alot of compliments on my resume. (just apparently not enough to actually call me back)...

I know that Target is actively telling prospective employers that I was fired for "attendance" (I had my wife call posing as an HR rep from the bank to get a reference). They are not elaborating on that, and most companies just assume that I was never there. There are some companies I've applied at that won't even consider you if you have been fired. Goodyear won't look at your application for 7 YEARS after you've been fired... Del Monte Foods has a 3 year policy. What sucks is that I can't even get in the damned door to make my case to half the people I wouldn't mind working for.

#469749 - 04/18/08 11:04 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

Quote:

I guess if you get really, REALLY bored you could scan it... but I've actually had alot of compliments on my resume. (just apparently not enough to actually call me back)...

this sounds like when you compliment someone on their personality...basically means you wouldn't touch them with someone else's junk.

#469750 - 04/18/08 11:08 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

13 how long did you work at Target? Sorry, didn't see that in previous threads.

If it was under a year, I say take it off your resume and say you were a 'consultant' in the electronics field.

If they question say that you did a lot of online consulting and home repair and maybe have some buddies ready for a phone call or two.

May sound dumb, but it's better than having to say you were fired!

#469751 - 04/18/08 11:13 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: tbhagz]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

No luck there... I was at Target for 3+ years. Thats what is sooo BS about all of this. Everyone in my training class is gone there... We had all maxed out on pay.

#469752 - 04/18/08 11:19 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Oh LOOK... I just got turned down by ANOTHER JOB...

USFoods - Vita Assessment Completion‏
Sent: Fri 4/18/08 10:40 AM
To: eden40000@hotmail.com

Dear _:

We would like to express our genuine gratitude to you for your expressed interest in the Selector position. It is good to know that talented people have the desire to join our winning staff here at U.S. Foodservice.

Unfortunately, you did not meet one or more of the requirements for this position. Nonetheless, we encourage you to visit our website (www.usfoodservice.com) in the future for other opportunities at U.S. Foodservice.

We wish you well in your endeavors.

Sincerely,

Human Resources
U.S. Foodservice Topeka/Kansas City Division

**Please do not reply to this email as it is not monitored by US Foodservice and you will not receive a response.**

AND ANOTHER PHUCKING ONE

Desktop Support Technician‏
Sent: Fri 4/18/08 10:54 AM
To: eden40000@hotmail.com

April 18, 2008

Dear _,

Thank you for your interest in the Information Systems (Tech) Desktop Support Technician (7684) position at Stormont-Vail HealthCare. The director has selected another applicant to fill this particular position, so we will not be making an employment offer to you for this position. However, if you have an interview scheduled, please keep that appointment as your application has been reviewed for a similar position.

Please continue to visit our website at www.stormontvail.org for future employment opportunities at Stormont-Vail HealthCare.

Sincerely,

Recruitment Staff
Human Resources
Stormont-Vail HealthCare

#469753 - 04/18/08 11:20 AM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

Oh sheet, no luck then!

Have you thought about large companies like Siemens?

I have a buddy who has a 2 years associates degree from a school I've never heard of and pulls down $100k fixing MRI/CAT/XRay machines.

#469754 - 04/18/08 12:05 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: tbhagz]
Jhwk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Those your real teeth?
Damn - now I feel like an a$$hole. There, I said it, I am an a ss h ol e.

We need to help. Any interest in government jobs? Post office or local stuff?

Anybody else in the Topeka area that could help a brother out?

#469755 - 04/18/08 12:14 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Jhwk]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

I've got applications in to KDOT, and 3 other state positions. The State just moves so DAMNED slow. I think I had them in over 2 months ago.

I've constantly thought I would love to be a Carrier for USPS. Plenty of exercise, being outdoors... but the only chances I've seen to apply were the scam artists trying to sell you information on how to apply.

I guess the most hope I have right now is Channel 27. I talked to all the TV stations in town, and they are the only ones that even think they might possibly have a position open soon.

Whats sad is that I'm pretty sure I sent that application in to stormont over 3 months ago.

#469756 - 04/18/08 12:19 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: tbhagz]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

I've been sifting through the State of Kansas' job link looking at the over 1800 jobs they have posted... so far the only "Major" company I've found is IBM. They are looking for Siebel installers... but the requirements are like a 10 year doctorates in Siebel infrastructure...

I also applied to their printer tech and IT generalist positions... nothing.

#469757 - 04/18/08 12:26 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
outbreakorn Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Lawrence
Have you tried KC? Seems like a lot of KC business are hiring

#469758 - 04/18/08 12:38 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: outbreakorn]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

*sigh*

Car = 26 miles per gallon

Truck = 16 miles per gallon

Gas = 3.31 per gallon

KC = 60 miles x 2 x 5

600 miles a week.

car = 23 gallons of gas = $76.38 x4 = $305.52 a month

truck = 37.5 gallons of gas = $124.12 x4 = $496.48 a month

+ K-tag + food

= I can take a job in topeka for a hell of a lot less per hour and still come out ahead.

(and the fact that I refuse to have a payment for gas in a month that would equal a car payment)

Edited by 13Hawk (04/18/08 12:41 PM)

#469759 - 04/18/08 01:31 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
DarthJayhawk Offline
Big Dipper

I'm sure a lot of the elitists on here will laugh at this, but have you considered driving a truck? Plenty of jobs available, pay is anywhere from $40,000 to $150,000 a year(depending on where you drive and what you haul) and you get a lot of time to think and listen to the radio. There are a lot of negatives to this as well, such as being gone from home, eating poorly, and listening to a bunch of dumbass truckers when you have to stop at a truckstop. I used to do this, so I know. I have also kept my Commercial Drivers License in case I really need a job someday. I never thought I would end up driving a truck, but I needed a job and the pay was good. Just another story I can tell my grandkids.

#469760 - 04/18/08 01:42 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: 13Hawk]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
The economy is so bad here in Michigan, folks are moving from Michigan to Kansas. Michigans unemployment rate is darn near double the national average. And the county I live in is damn near double the state average.

They forget to tell Michigan the recession was over.

#469761 - 04/18/08 01:42 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: DarthJayhawk]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

I've done the same thing with waiting tables. Unfortunately this last time, I found a place where I make more than I did when I was a prisoner in cubicle land.

#469762 - 04/18/08 02:01 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: gquinn225]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

13 a couple of comments:

1) You make the assumption that HR doesn't work on Friday or doesn't care what happens. That's a bad assumption and reflects (to me) the wrong attitude to take with you during your job search.

2) You've posted two rejection emails. There should be no surprise there. You will not get a job unless you talk to somebody. In person. Or on the telephone. Not email. After submitting your resume online, have you followed up with phone calls? You should be.

Write down the 10 companies you would most like to work for. Get their main line phone number. Call. Ask reception: "Hello, can you tell me who runs your electronics repair team? (or the appropiate description)" You'll now either: be transferred, be given a phone number, or be given a name. Send your resume to THAT persons attention. Call that person and introduce yourself. If need be, volunteer to work for a week for free, just to let them see what your made of. With your background, I highly doubt someone would turn that down.

While HR can help (or hurt), you really need to get your resume and yourself in front of the decision makers. HR are usually NOT the decision makers. Just the facilitators.

Just my $0.02. I'm a COO of an IT/Accounting staffing firm in Austin, so I might know what I'm talking about. I also might not.

#469763 - 04/18/08 02:56 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Rivethead]
jayhawklaw Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Free State Lobby
13--Keep your head up, buddy. Things got pretty desperate for me when I was looking for my first job out of law school. I had sent out about 250 resumes along with transcripts and personalized coversheets on all on that expensive, resume-paper crap with the matching resume envelopes.

I'd send them out in groups of fifty or sixty and then dread going to the mailbox because I had gotten used to a bunch of the same canned rejection letters. I know how much that sucks because out of the hundreds of resumes I sent out I only got one phucking interview. But, the interview was with a good firm and I got the job.

Keep in mind that it just takes one. Good luck.

#469764 - 04/18/08 04:08 PM moo! [Re: jayhawklaw]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

hang in there 13!!

I work for some old friends I've known since grade school, it's almost like working for family ...

but you know what I was doing BEFORE they hired me???

#469765 - 04/18/08 04:23 PM Re: moo! [Re: sevenyearhawk]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

WTF would possess you to share that picture with us? Jeebus.

#469766 - 04/18/08 04:27 PM Re: moo! [Re: gquinn225]
sensei Offline
[censored] you

Loc: East Lawrence represent!!!
Poor cow costume.

#469767 - 04/18/08 04:44 PM Re: moo! [Re: sensei]
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

Can I make that my avatar, 7?

#469768 - 04/18/08 04:45 PM Re: moo! [Re: sevenyearhawk]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
Quote:

hang in there 13!!

I work for some old friends I've known since grade school, it's almost like working for family ...

perfect.

#469769 - 04/18/08 04:46 PM Re: moo! [Re: sensei]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

thousands of people saw me wearing that everyday at 95th and Quivira ... what's a few dozen online?

I bet it made 13Hawk laugh!

What's really funny was that it near a Winstead's, people probably thought I was some kind of PETA protester ...

#469770 - 04/18/08 04:52 PM Re: moo! [Re: sevenyearhawk]
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

Could you have picked any costume? I would have gone for a pirate!

#469771 - 04/18/08 04:57 PM Re: moo! [Re: tbhagz]
larryb Offline
Gutter

sevenyear - You look just like me only fatter, older, shorter, uglier, and more bovine. Come on! It's friday at 4:56pm. I am just joking! Sort of.

#469772 - 04/18/08 04:58 PM Re: moo! [Re: larryb]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Way to leave me laughing on Friday Gutman.
Have a good weekend.

#469773 - 04/18/08 05:01 PM Re: moo! [Re: Geezer]
DarthJayhawk Offline
Big Dipper

And I always feel bad for those jiffy lube guys that stand outside with the signs when business is slow. Not anymore.

#469774 - 04/18/08 05:06 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Rivethead]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Thanks for your comments Rivethead.

Thanks also for coming to the wrong conclusions about me based on the fact that I took one day off, and based on some comments I made about the HR departments I have worked with over the years.

Quote:

"You make the assumption that HR doesn't work on Friday or doesn't care what happens...

Assumptions. Not Really. Let me tell you what I KNOW.

Target Store #355 (where I started my working career long, long ago. - No HR representatives on friday. Checks cashed on thursday. Any HR questions or needs were deferred till monday.

Jostens Printing and Publishing - HR leaves at 12:00.

Answer Topeka - There is no "HR" department. The Owner (who plays golf on friday) is nowhere to be found on friday.

Channel 13 WIBW - HR representative does not work on friday. Fine example of Salaried employees who just don't care.

Target Distribution Center - No employees from HR present on friday with the exception of 30 minutes prior and 30 minutes after each shift change. By the way, if you don't have a keycard, and you don't work that shift, you aren't allowed on the premises to talk to them. You must call the main line and be transferred to their voicemail.

... just to name a few that I have personally worked at - and know their routines like the back of my hand. This says nothing of the employers that give you no option to contact them in any way other than through the internet or through HR.

Another example for you, since you seem to imagine that I sit at home on my A$$ all day. Frito-Lay (Pepsico). They advertise both in the paper and online. They list an address to apply at in person. If you show up to the address in person you end up at the guardhouse where one of the friendly guards will point to a sign that gives you an e-mail address and points out that Frito-lay does not accept applications in person. If you try to talk to anyone on the phone (every number listed in the topeka area dumps you back to their main number) you will get a company directory, last names only - no titles. You WILL NOT get a live person.

There are several (many) companies like that here in Topeka. SBG, AT&T, Goodyear, Payless,Cox Communications, Target Distribution... You will never see a living breathing person (or talk to one) before you complete their application process.

Also - The 2 e-mails I posted... I applied to both of them directly - In person. So again, Thanks for assuming I never get out of my house. My face to face contact with Cindy Adams at Stormont and Sarah Mellon at US Foods netted me a zero result.

And for the record - I'm sorry if I sound like I'm attacking you. I'm a little bitter right now. Maybe you should get your COO butt up here and teach these small town companies 800 miles north of you how things are supposed to work!

*directed at noone in particular*
I would give money for all you whackos that think I'm lazy to meet me in person. It's just astounding that people can be sooo wrong.

#469775 - 04/18/08 05:08 PM Re: moo! [Re: sevenyearhawk]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Hey Seven... thanks for that. I seriously almost fell out of my chair when I saw that!

I had heard you talking about that before... I just thought you were trying to make me feel better!

#469776 - 04/18/08 05:11 PM Re: moo! [Re: 13Hawk]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

I keep that on my computer at work ...

when I'm having a bad day and I'm feed up with my work/boss, I pull that up and think:

I could be doing ... THAT!

moo, moo everyone!!

It was either that costume or a court jester ... the cow bell really pulled it all together!

I had lots of people drive by and yell: "show me your teats!"

Edited by sevenyearhawk (04/18/08 05:12 PM)

#469777 - 04/18/08 05:13 PM Re: moo! [Re: sevenyearhawk]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

You got muthafuggin voicemail beeotch!

#469778 - 04/18/08 05:24 PM Re: moo! [Re: 13Hawk]
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

You ready???????

Are ya???????

It's coming......................

#469779 - 04/18/08 05:25 PM Re: moo! [Re: Geezer]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Quote:

Way to leave me laughing on Friday Gutman.
Have a good weekend.

You too!

#469780 - 04/18/08 05:58 PM Re: moo! [Re: larryb]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

and I thought 13's "rockin' cat with headphones" avatar was trippy!

#469781 - 04/18/08 06:40 PM Re: moo! [Re: sevenyearhawk]
brando Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

hang in there 13!!

#469782 - 04/18/08 06:52 PM Re: moo! [Re: brando]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Speechless.

#469783 - 04/18/08 07:00 PM Re: moo! [Re: Geezer]
brando Offline
Max Falkenstein

13 years ago...

#469784 - 04/18/08 07:06 PM Re: moo! [Re: brando]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Loc: Rockin a dial-up connection
Your expression makes it look like you lost a bet.

#469785 - 04/18/08 07:07 PM Re: moo! [Re: ku_painter]
jhawks99 Offline
Defense

Loc: Rebounds
Man, that's one helluva cup. Congrats

#469786 - 04/18/08 07:09 PM Re: moo! [Re: ku_painter]
brando Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

Your expression makes it look like you lost a bet.

no the expression of "why the [censored] are you taking my picture?"

#469787 - 04/18/08 07:12 PM Re: moo! [Re: brando]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Can I use it for my avatar?

#469788 - 04/18/08 07:13 PM Re: moo! [Re: Geezer]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Loc: Rockin a dial-up connection
Quote:

ha ha ....nice

#469789 - 04/18/08 07:24 PM Re: moo! [Re: Geezer]
brando Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

only if you photoshop the girls from your current one in there...

#469790 - 04/18/08 07:28 PM Re: moo! [Re: brando]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

you still got the white bat.
Got to fix that.

#469791 - 04/18/08 07:28 PM Re: moo! [Re: brando]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

13 years ago...

brando, that's AWESOME!

I know what we should wear to the women's game the next time NEBRASKA, KANSAS STATE or TEXAS come to Lawrence!

I have a spare, who wants to be the third, we could make signs:

EAT, MOR, CHIKIN

#469792 - 04/18/08 10:13 PM Re: moo! [Re: sevenyearhawk]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview