Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#469762 - 04/18/08 02:01 PM Re: Kuck Fansas ***** [Re: gquinn225]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin, TX USA
13 a couple of comments:

1) You make the assumption that HR doesn't work on Friday or doesn't care what happens. That's a bad assumption and reflects (to me) the wrong attitude to take with you during your job search.

2) You've posted two rejection emails. There should be no surprise there. You will not get a job unless you talk to somebody. In person. Or on the telephone. Not email. After submitting your resume online, have you followed up with phone calls? You should be.

Write down the 10 companies you would most like to work for. Get their main line phone number. Call. Ask reception: "Hello, can you tell me who runs your electronics repair team? (or the appropiate description)" You'll now either: be transferred, be given a phone number, or be given a name. Send your resume to THAT persons attention. Call that person and introduce yourself. If need be, volunteer to work for a week for free, just to let them see what your made of. With your background, I highly doubt someone would turn that down.

While HR can help (or hurt), you really need to get your resume and yourself in front of the decision makers. HR are usually NOT the decision makers. Just the facilitators.

Just my $0.02. I'm a COO of an IT/Accounting staffing firm in Austin, so I might know what I'm talking about. I also might not.

#469763 - 04/18/08 02:56 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Rivethead]
jayhawklaw Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Free State Lobby
13--Keep your head up, buddy. Things got pretty desperate for me when I was looking for my first job out of law school. I had sent out about 250 resumes along with transcripts and personalized coversheets on all on that expensive, resume-paper crap with the matching resume envelopes.

I'd send them out in groups of fifty or sixty and then dread going to the mailbox because I had gotten used to a bunch of the same canned rejection letters. I know how much that sucks because out of the hundreds of resumes I sent out I only got one phucking interview. But, the interview was with a good firm and I got the job.

Keep in mind that it just takes one. Good luck.

#469764 - 04/18/08 04:08 PM moo! [Re: jayhawklaw]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

hang in there 13!!

I work for some old friends I've known since grade school, it's almost like working for family ...

but you know what I was doing BEFORE they hired me???

#469765 - 04/18/08 04:23 PM Re: moo! [Re: sevenyearhawk]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

Loc: Mile High City
WTF would possess you to share that picture with us? Jeebus.

#469766 - 04/18/08 04:27 PM Re: moo! [Re: gquinn225]
sensei Offline
[censored] you

Loc: East Lawrence represent!!!
Poor cow costume.

#469767 - 04/18/08 04:44 PM Re: moo! [Re: sensei]
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Your mom's house
Can I make that my avatar, 7?

#469768 - 04/18/08 04:45 PM Re: moo! [Re: sevenyearhawk]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
Quote:

hang in there 13!!

I work for some old friends I've known since grade school, it's almost like working for family ...

but you know what I was doing BEFORE they hired me???

perfect.

#469769 - 04/18/08 04:46 PM Re: moo! [Re: sensei]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

thousands of people saw me wearing that everyday at 95th and Quivira ... what's a few dozen online?

I bet it made 13Hawk laugh!

What's really funny was that it near a Winstead's, people probably thought I was some kind of PETA protester ...

#469770 - 04/18/08 04:52 PM Re: moo! [Re: sevenyearhawk]
tbhagz Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Your mom's house
Could you have picked any costume? I would have gone for a pirate!

#469771 - 04/18/08 04:57 PM Re: moo! [Re: tbhagz]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
sevenyear - You look just like me only fatter, older, shorter, uglier, and more bovine. Come on! It's friday at 4:56pm. I am just joking! Sort of.

#469772 - 04/18/08 04:58 PM Re: moo! [Re: larryb]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
Way to leave me laughing on Friday Gutman.
Have a good weekend.

#469773 - 04/18/08 05:01 PM Re: moo! [Re: Geezer]
DarthJayhawk Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Hatin' Mark May
And I always feel bad for those jiffy lube guys that stand outside with the signs when business is slow. Not anymore.

#469774 - 04/18/08 05:06 PM Re: Kuck Fansas [Re: Rivethead]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Topeka
Thanks for your comments Rivethead.

Thanks also for coming to the wrong conclusions about me based on the fact that I took one day off, and based on some comments I made about the HR departments I have worked with over the years.

Quote:

"You make the assumption that HR doesn't work on Friday or doesn't care what happens...

Assumptions. Not Really. Let me tell you what I KNOW.

Target Store #355 (where I started my working career long, long ago. - No HR representatives on friday. Checks cashed on thursday. Any HR questions or needs were deferred till monday.

Jostens Printing and Publishing - HR leaves at 12:00.

Answer Topeka - There is no "HR" department. The Owner (who plays golf on friday) is nowhere to be found on friday.

Channel 13 WIBW - HR representative does not work on friday. Fine example of Salaried employees who just don't care.

Target Distribution Center - No employees from HR present on friday with the exception of 30 minutes prior and 30 minutes after each shift change. By the way, if you don't have a keycard, and you don't work that shift, you aren't allowed on the premises to talk to them. You must call the main line and be transferred to their voicemail.

... just to name a few that I have personally worked at - and know their routines like the back of my hand. This says nothing of the employers that give you no option to contact them in any way other than through the internet or through HR.

Another example for you, since you seem to imagine that I sit at home on my A$$ all day. Frito-Lay (Pepsico). They advertise both in the paper and online. They list an address to apply at in person. If you show up to the address in person you end up at the guardhouse where one of the friendly guards will point to a sign that gives you an e-mail address and points out that Frito-lay does not accept applications in person. If you try to talk to anyone on the phone (every number listed in the topeka area dumps you back to their main number) you will get a company directory, last names only - no titles. You WILL NOT get a live person.

There are several (many) companies like that here in Topeka. SBG, AT&T, Goodyear, Payless,Cox Communications, Target Distribution... You will never see a living breathing person (or talk to one) before you complete their application process.

Also - The 2 e-mails I posted... I applied to both of them directly - In person. So again, Thanks for assuming I never get out of my house. My face to face contact with Cindy Adams at Stormont and Sarah Mellon at US Foods netted me a zero result.

And for the record - I'm sorry if I sound like I'm attacking you. I'm a little bitter right now. Maybe you should get your COO butt up here and teach these small town companies 800 miles north of you how things are supposed to work!

*directed at noone in particular*
I would give money for all you whackos that think I'm lazy to meet me in person. It's just astounding that people can be sooo wrong.

#469775 - 04/18/08 05:08 PM Re: moo! [Re: sevenyearhawk]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Topeka
Hey Seven... thanks for that. I seriously almost fell out of my chair when I saw that!

I had heard you talking about that before... I just thought you were trying to make me feel better!

#469776 - 04/18/08 05:11 PM Re: moo! [Re: 13Hawk]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

I keep that on my computer at work ...

when I'm having a bad day and I'm feed up with my work/boss, I pull that up and think:

I could be doing ... THAT!

moo, moo everyone!!

It was either that costume or a court jester ... the cow bell really pulled it all together!

I had lots of people drive by and yell: "show me your teats!"

Edited by sevenyearhawk (04/18/08 05:12 PM)

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview