Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#410261 - 03/23/08 04:02 PM Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL [Re: sevenyearhawk]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

Quote:

hmm ...

well, I hope the guys can continue to improve.

I guess the A&M series should be a good early barometer on the season, is that right JQKS?

I think so. The Hawks have been inconsistent with their early test games.

When they face second tier programs, okay but not very strong teams, KU needs to win consistently if they are going to impress the selection committee. They beat Missouri State and Iowa. Maybe we could include Northwestern in this group as well. They lost to Ohio State and Illinois. By splitting these games the Hawks are basically establishing themselves as belonging to this pack. And this pack does not play in June. Those three losses in Hawaii also are an anchor.

On the plus side, KU taking one of three in Austin is a clear plus. I know that may seem odd, but I expect most people who follow the Big-12 would have given KU about a 40% chance of getting a single win, and almost no chance of winning two. So even the one win helped the team significantly.

I expect they will have an RPI around 120 again on Monday. They need to get it down to around 50 and post at least 13 Big-12 wins if they have post-season dreams.

The A&M series will be huge. If they win two of three in Lawrence it will mean ten times more to the team than would have beating both Ohio State and Illinois this week. If they only take one of three it will probably hurt a bit.

Anyway, that is how I see the whole situation. Maybe I am missing some important elements. One point I probably havent given enough weight so far is that KU has played 22 of its 26 NCAA games so far on the road. From here forward the Hawks will be at home about two thirds of the remaining games. This will help.

#410262 - 03/23/08 07:04 PM Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL [Re: sevenyearhawk]
bkmhoxx Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Eudora
KU basketball plays at 8:40 on Friday night
So it appears the baseball game should be ok for attendance, at least in the first hour or so of the game.

#410263 - 03/23/08 07:17 PM KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL [Re: bkmhoxx]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

It is a shame the home Big-12 opener falls at the same time as the Sweet-16 game, but I much prefer this to the basketball team taking an early exit. I wonder if there is any chance they will move the start time back to 4 or 5PM?

#410264 - 03/23/08 09:16 PM Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL [Re: JQKS]
bkmhoxx Offline
Phog Fanatic

In depressing news, Mizzou swept Baylor today
Mizzou might just be the best team in the nation if they can continue this dominance. And their ace, Aaron Crow is looking more and more like he will be one of the top 5 picks in the MLB draft, possibly even #1 over Pedro Alvarez. And there would be a chance he is selected by our own KC Royals as well.

#410265 - 03/26/08 01:44 PM Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL [Re: bkmhoxx]
Smaymo Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Kansas
Aaron Crow is putting up some impressive numbers but long term I think he may end up with some shoulder problems. I am not sure how he used to pitch before really jumping up his velocity in the Cape Cod League. I watched a You tube clip of him pitching. When he pitches he raises his elbows above his shoulder line and forms what is called an "inverted W" with his arms. I remember how everyone said how smooth Mark Prior looked and he was a can't miss prospect but he delivered the ball the same way. He has had many injury problems since entering pro ball. It seems that often, the pitchers that use this technique end up battling elbow and shoulder injuries. I wish all the best to Aaron Crow but I hope his mechanics don't spell an early professional demise for him. There is a pitching mechanics analyst named Chris O'Leary who has made quite a study of pitcher arm injuries and he has several articles that can be found on the interent with a very comprehensive breakdown of some MLB pitchers.

#410266 - 03/26/08 02:35 PM Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL [Re: Smaymo]
bkmhoxx Offline
Phog Fanatic

Smaymo

i have read O'Leary's breakdwns several times and yes, he knows what he is talking about. I also agree with Crows odd delivery, however, i still think he will get drafted in the top 5. Some teams may try to alter his delivery or make him a closer immediately. But a guy throwing in the mid 90's with 3 plus pitches will always have teams salivating over him.

#410267 - 03/26/08 02:55 PM Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL [Re: bkmhoxx]
Smaymo Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Kansas
bkmhoxx

I agree that he will go in the top 5 and maybe top three if he continues at the clip he is going. I think the only two college players that might prede him are Matusz and Alvarez. High school players could be Hosmer, Cole and Melville. I think the pros might choose Melville ahead of Crow due to size, projectibility and the fact that he has been a mid 90'dspitcher longer than Crow. It seems that not many pitchers go the full nine innings, let alone pitch shutouts. Wish Kansas could have signed tise local product. What happened to his brother who signed at Mizzou a year behind Aaron? Also, I notice that you are from Eudora. My son, Lee, said that he had heard that Kelson Boyer was attendong Free State but not going to play baseball his senior year.Any word on that?
Thanks

#410268 - 03/27/08 09:01 AM Re: KU 12 vs Northwestern 11 FINAL [Re: Smaymo]
bkmhoxx Offline
Phog Fanatic

no word on Boyer.
I will look into it

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Preview