Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#410216 - 03/20/08 05:32 PM KU 2 - Dartmouth 5 (5th Inning) [Re: JQKS]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

KU scored two runs inthe top of the fifth.

Matt Berner, who got the start at 3B, single, RBI
Casey Larson, started in CF, triple, RBI

Esquibel still pitching.

#410217 - 03/20/08 05:43 PM KU 5 - Dartmouth 5 (6th Inning) [Re: JQKS]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

Huge sixth inning for the Jayhawks.

Land single.
EMo single.
Afenir, three run jack. Tie game, 5-5.

#410218 - 03/20/08 05:49 PM Re: KU 5 - Dartmouth 5 (6th Inning) [Re: JQKS]
bkmhoxx Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Eudora
My god these guys are playing like crap.
Those travel problems must have really discombobulated those kids

#410219 - 03/20/08 05:53 PM Re: KU 5 - Dartmouth 6 (7th Inning) [Re: bkmhoxx]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

I expected these two games to be easy wins. Right now they are trailing Dartmouth again, 6-5. Wren just hit a homerun. The third Esquibel has given up today.

#410220 - 03/20/08 06:34 PM Re: KU 5 - Dartmouth 6 (7th Inning) [Re: JQKS]
bkmhoxx Offline
Phog Fanatic

Bollman with the save
8-6 KU win over Dartmouth

hopefully tomorrow will be much beter!

#410221 - 03/20/08 06:53 PM KU 8 - Dartmouth 6 FINAL [Re: bkmhoxx]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

Whew, I'm glad we took both games. This was a much more interesting day of baseball than I wanted it to be.

Esquibel plays bulldog and fights through eight innings for the win. 9 hits, six runs, 1/7 BB/K.

Larson had a great game. 4-5. Robby Price and Buck Afenir both had two hits and three RBIs. Preston Land had two hits. Matt Berner took advantage of some rare playing time and went 1-4 with a run and an RBI. He handled three balls at third without error.

Let's hope tomorrow comes with less drama. Ohio State is probably the best team KU will face.

KU improves to 13-8.

#410222 - 03/20/08 08:48 PM Re: KU 8 - Dartmouth 6 FINAL [Re: JQKS]
sevenyearhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

not bad ...

thanks for the updates!

#410223 - 03/20/08 09:52 PM Thursday Recap [Re: JQKS]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

Thursday Recap and Dartmouth Boxscore

Coming into this tournament I knew the Jayhawk pitching staff would be stretched to its limit. That was before the rough handling it received in the first three games. KU still has five more games to play in three days, and I dont know how Price is going to manage his staff.

Shaeffer Hall threw 61 pitches on Wednesday. I expect Price would like to bring him back to pitch the final game against Northwestern. If so, he is off the board.

Brett Bollman threw 68 pitches on Wednesday, and then came in on Thursday to pitch the ninth inning of the Dartmouth game, 9 more pitches. This is probably the most work his arm has gotten in about three years. I expect he will be used again during the trip, but he is in uncharted territory.

Brett Bochy threw 28 pitches on Wednesday. He should be good for a few more appearances this week.

Paul Smyth threw 14 pitches on Wednesday and 54 on Thursday. He can handle a surprisingly heavy load for a closer, but you have to figure Price will only go to him for a few more innings in Florida.

Hiarali Garcia started a game on Thursday and threw 71 pitches. He probably is out until Saturday at the earliest, more likely Sunday.

Matt Lane threw 19 pitches on Thursday. He should be fine for innings over the weekend.

T.J. Walz threw 15 pitches on Thursday. He should be good as well.

Andres Esquibel in all likelihood is done for the week. He was a horse in only his second start of the year, throwing 110 pitches on Thursday. Esquibel and Garcia are the two key long relievers in the bullpen and neither will be able to throw more than a handful of additional pitches during the tournament.

Clearly Price is saving Nick Czyz, Sam Freeman and Wally Marciel for three of the five remaining starts. Assuming Hall takes another start, that leaves one final game needing to be covered. Ill speculate here Matt Lane or Daniel Manos will start the UMBC game tomorrow?

So, what does that leave in the pen for the next five days? Daniel Manos, Max Ellenbecker and Thomas Marcin are all fresh. T.J. Walz and Brett Bochy are available. Garcia, Smyth and Bollman have already seen a lot of work. Bottom line, either the starters are going to need to give seven or eight good innings each pretty much from here forward - or Manos, Ellenbecker and Marcin are going to need to win some games.

#410224 - 03/20/08 10:55 PM Re: Thursday Recap [Re: JQKS]
Smaymo Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Kansas
I think that we can't discount the fact that out of their first 21 games only 5 have been played at home. Travel does tend to wear on a team. By the time they get back it will be 5 home games out of the first 26. Whereas teams such as Arizona State play their first 28 (or maybe it was 25 ) games all at home without travel.Being at home is supposed to be an advantage and the team definitley will be more rested. I am looking for a big improvement in play once the Jayhawks return to Hoglund. We will see.

#410225 - 03/21/08 12:37 AM Re: Thursday Recap [Re: Smaymo]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

Quote:

I think that we can't discount the fact that out of their first 21 games only 5 have been played at home. Travel does tend to wear on a team. By the time they get back it will be 5 home games out of the first 26. Whereas teams such as Arizona State play their first 28 (or maybe it was 25 ) games all at home without travel.Being at home is supposed to be an advantage and the team definitley will be more rested. I am looking for a big improvement in play once the Jayhawks return to Hoglund. We will see.

This is a good point. After this road trip 21 of the of the last 34 games will be at home.

What is ironic about this Florida tournament, the weather is actually perfect here in Kansas for baseball. 60's and sunny. While there at the tournament a few games were canceled or delayed due to rain.

#410226 - 03/21/08 08:53 AM Re: Dartmouth prospects [Re: JQKS]
bkmhoxx Offline
Phog Fanatic

Ku faced their best pitchers and definitely hit well.
Russell Young is the big senior lefty that i think could have a chance to be drafted. He pitched 8.2 innings and Ku got 8 earned runs off of him but the part that scouts like is that he also struck out 7 Jayhawks. So when you put together a 6'4, 205 frame, a lefty and the ability to strike guys out, then they WILL look at you.
Ku also faced Kyle Zeis (the closer) but he only faced 1 batter so that isnt even worth discussion.

Damon Wright is one guy i did NOT list as a prospect and he tore KU apart. He went 4-4 with 2HR, 5rbi and 2 runs scored. I consider Wright to be a nice college player but i still dont see him being drafted. He batted .303 last year with 1HR, 22rbi and 8sb. He plays center field and does have some speed and size (6'3,205). He has very little power thus far but has shown a decent ability to hit for average (.377 in 06) so i guess someone could take a late round flyer on him. We will have to wait and see how his season progresses.

Will Delawter will be the bat to avoid today in the UMBC lineup.

Edited by bkmhoxx (03/21/08 08:53 AM)

#410227 - 03/21/08 08:59 AM Re: Ohio st. prospects [Re: bkmhoxx]
bkmhoxx Offline
Phog Fanatic

Not sure who the starter for Ohio St. will be today.
They have several nice pitchers. DeLucia and Shuck are both good pitchers and both are strikeout pitchers too. The closers are Rucinski and Best and they are both pretty good. As far as bats to watch for are Justin Miller, Tony Kennedy and Shuck. All 3 have good sticks. This one may be a tough win the way we have been playing thus far down in Bradenton.

#410228 - 03/21/08 09:10 AM Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic [Re: JQKS]
queenv11 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

It doesn't happen often, but did you hear where the
1st base ump. called out a kid, Coach Tucker argued the call, and the ump behind the plate agreed with Coach Tucker, and called the kid safe. WOW...

#410229 - 03/21/08 10:37 AM Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic [Re: queenv11]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

Quote:

It doesn't happen often, but did you hear where the
1st base ump. called out a kid, Coach Tucker argued the call, and the ump behind the plate agreed with Coach Tucker, and called the kid safe. WOW...

Hi Queen, do you remember when this happened in the game? It is uncommon. Those umpires have to work together and don't like stepping on each others toes.

#410230 - 03/21/08 10:40 AM Re: KU Baseball: Florida Spring Classic [Re: JQKS]
JQKS Offline
John Brown

Starter vs. Ohio State. I am expecting Marciel.

Just guesswork here:
Ohio State - Marciel
UMBC - Manos (or Lane)
Northwestern Saturday - Czyz
Northwestern Saturday - Freeman
Northwestern Sunday - Hall

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview