Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37363 - 01/25/07 08:09 AM What's our slice of the pie?
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
When we have a game in Columbia, what is our cut of the revenue?

#37364 - 01/25/07 08:11 AM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: jammahawk]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin, TX USA
Zero.

Road conference teams get no revenue. Only the home team.

#37365 - 01/25/07 08:39 AM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: Rivethead]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

So as I understand it, in '08, we make at least 1 million.

#37366 - 01/25/07 08:51 AM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: jammahawk]
SFBayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

You still see Kansas Athletics, Inc. as "we"?

#37367 - 01/25/07 08:57 AM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: SFBayhawk]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

"We" would be a bad choice of words on my part, the term "we" has been obsolete in KU athletics long before Perkins took over.

#37368 - 01/25/07 09:20 AM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: jammahawk]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Jamma, you went right into an AUTOMATIC "Lew" defense mode! The man does train some folks mighty well!

Yep we get $1 mil each of the next TWO years, instead of $2 mil plus this year. At BEST Lew found a revenue neutral prop from Carl that only costs the fans more. But who gives a $hit about that?

RCJH....PAAAYYY LEEEWWWWW!

Edited by beenahawk (01/25/07 09:22 AM)

#37369 - 01/25/07 09:24 AM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: beenahawk]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Is that $2M NET? I don't think you've answered that previously asked question.

#37370 - 01/25/07 09:28 AM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: beenahawk]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Believe me when I say he is not my favorite person, I don't like the fact that the points system priced me out of the seats I had at AFH since '85, I don't like the fact that my football seats moved from the 40 yard line to the 15.
But I will give credit to the guy that makes a million from a game that we would normally get zip from.

#37371 - 01/25/07 09:38 AM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: jammahawk]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Loc: 41 N 87 W
40,000 tickets at $50.00 a piece = 2 million. What if less than 40,000 show up? Where does the rest of the money come from?

#37372 - 01/25/07 09:38 AM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: jammahawk]
goodlandjhawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Gardner, KS
Lew is all about money and not trying to improve the programs at all!

Football Facility

#37373 - 01/25/07 09:47 AM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: goodlandjhawk]
ICECOLD Offline
Prairie Warrior

Why build a new football facility next the stadium if we are not going to even play there? Heck, we should pay the Chiefs and use their facilities.

#37374 - 01/25/07 10:49 AM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: ICECOLD]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Why build a new football facility next the stadium if we are not going to even play there? Heck, we should pay the Chiefs and use their facilities.

Yeah you're right, they've moved one game from Memorial and you've given it ghost town status.

#37375 - 01/25/07 10:52 AM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: kuking123]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

40,000 tickets at $50.00 a piece = 2 million. What if less than 40,000 show up? Where does the rest of the money come from?

Then you could say both programs are in the $hitter and never try to do anything outside the box again.
Why are we not selling this game out at Memorial as it is now?

#37376 - 01/25/07 01:12 PM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: jammahawk]
Rivethead Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin, TX USA
Quote:

So as I understand it, in '08, we make at least 1 million.

Correct. And therein lies my biggest complaint about this deal: it's NOT equitable. This deal favors MU financially.

Several sources at KUAC have been quoted as saying that KU makes about $1 million net profit from each home game. As such, the game against MU in 2007 is probably a wash (or even a slight loss considering there will be travel costs to Methdependence, MO). However, MU would have received $0 and had travel costs associated with the trip to Memorial. They now get $1 million and have less travel costs for the 2007 game.

So in 2007, financially the advantage goes to MU.

In 2008, the situation reverses, but if you factor in the time value of money (a $1 today is worth more than a $1 a year from today), the advantage is still to MU.

And that, more than anything else, is what has me pissed off.

Like it or not, Big XII athletics is a financial arms race and we just handed our bitter rival a stack of nukes.

#37377 - 01/25/07 01:49 PM Re: What's our slice of the pie? [Re: jayhawk154]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Quote:

Is that $2M NET? I don't think you've answered that previously asked question.

Wouldn't that depend on the actual PRICE of the tickets....just like it does at Arrowhead? As for the question on how many fans would actually show up and be paying customers......since Lew is INCLUDING this Arrowhead "road trip" in our season ticket package, right at 40k will be paying the rate that Chief Carl has in mind even if the seat remains empty. Since MISERY is NOT planning to do the same there is NO guarantee for those 40k to be sold for the 08 game...thus what price does Chief Carl need to throw on those? We won't know for well over a year will we?

In any event, we could NET $ 2 million on ANY home game just by increasing ticket prices. Isn't it SAFE to claim at least that much from this year's Bugeater visit? If we hammer the Huskers at say $65 a pop we better have a GROSS exceeding $2.75 mil and if Lew can't "NET" $2 mil from that he needs to go right back to Business 101!

Not knowing what we were intending to charge for the game had it stayed at Memorial and not knowing what Chief Carl has in mind (I have heard both $75 and $90 per ducat several times) . And no matter what, we would certainly have had a NET that would have been far closer to $2 mil than than $1 mil this season. Throw in the interest LOST on that million or if you wanna REMAIN stubborn let's say $750k and unless this "road trip" is a freaking BONANZA, Lew sold the home game on a deal that was at best, revenue neutral.

Now throw in the what if's surrounding any GAME 12......what if the Buddha falls flat on his stubborn face and enters this game at 6-5 or worse? Same with Pinkle? One team at say 10-1 the other at 6-5 or better is the only chance to draw the additional 20k fans (over and above the Kansas SEASON ticket holders who are forced to pay) to make this thing pull in the mega bucks that so many of you think Lew and Chief Carl have created.....now throw in late November weather conditions that can range from Sunny and 75 to snowy and Zero or ANYTHING in between. There could very well be anywhere from 20 to 60k fannies in the seats.

Sure it would be WONDERFUL if both teams entered the contest 11-0, but get real ! That's the ONLY way this road game sells OUT in 07 or 08!!!

I personally hope for the 60k so this thing DOES generate enough cash to make a "homer" a "roadie", but that is ONLY guaranteed THIS season due to the game being part of our season ticket package. If Mizzou does the same in 2008 (something Alden seems against thus far) it "might" make a wee bit of economic sense.

But the long term effect is already negative in nature if one looks at the polls in a number of papers on both sides of the Big Muddy. Even as un-SCIENTIFIC as they are, it appears the Lew Lovers and Chief Carl followers are a vast minority.

Since both Mangino and Pinkle have yet to prove they can win enough games to create a true bandwagon for either school. Without some LGSU style BW'ing by both schools, this thing is doomed but will remain an Arrowhead FIXTURE as long as Lew is in charge.

RCJH...PAAAYYYY LEEEEWWWW!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview