Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#369275 - 02/21/08 10:39 PM Windows Vista sux...
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Topeka
But it does have some redeeming virtues... I guess you could do the same with VLC.

Fun With Dreamscene

#369276 - 02/21/08 10:50 PM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: 13Hawk]
kujerseygirl Offline
Julia Ward Howe

Loc: Abilene, Texas
I completely disagree. I've had vista since the first week it came out and I absolutely love it.

#369277 - 02/21/08 11:16 PM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: kujerseygirl]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

I just have bad luck with it I guess. I ABSOLUTELY know what I'm doing, and have a damned awesome machine... but I've managed to BSOD or otherwise crash vista about 12 times now.

The bright side is I just installed service pack 1, and so far so good.

#369278 - 02/21/08 11:31 PM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: 13Hawk]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Loc: NYC
Vista so wishes it was Mac OS X Leopard.

#369279 - 02/21/08 11:50 PM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: 13Hawk]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Loc: Rockin a dial-up connection
Quote:

I just have bad luck with it I guess. I ABSOLUTELY know what I'm doing, and have a damned awesome machine... but I've managed to BSOD or otherwise crash vista about 12 times now.

The bright side is I just installed service pack 1, and so far so good.

I'll echo this. Vista has been evil as far as I'm concerned.

Do you want to perform this action?
Are you sure?
You are about to perform this action...click yes to proceed.
Oh by the way, Vista noticed you are about to perform this action and decided to ask you again if this is really what you want to do.

are you sure?

Edited by ku_painter (02/21/08 11:57 PM)

#369280 - 02/22/08 04:45 AM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: ku_painter]
mushhawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: State, Country
yeah...vista sux..

you can turn off the "do you want to perform this action" BS though...

i forget where it is, but there's an option to turn it off for the most part.
the thing that annoys me is when i want to post a picture or something on this message board and the message scrolls down from the top of the pg asking if i'm sure.
that's one thing that i can't get to stop.

also, it was hella-incompatible w/my hardware when i installed it. you'd think it would at least be compatible w/everything that XP was with. i had to replace a couple pieces of hardware b/c of it. it wouldn't even recognize my ethernet card! ???!!!
i also had to replace some software that it didn't work with. it wouldn't work w/powerdvd that i had or my roxio cd creator. i had to D/L new copies of both. it didn't like my video card, so it wouldn't allow me to do any of the cool visual features. so i got a new vid card.

my system is MUCH slower now that i have vista as well. there's much more of a delay on any action that i take, compared to XP. pictures open slow. programs open slow, etc...

also, occasionally it has troubles starting up my AVG antivirus program.

ps: it sucks! just one giant bug.

#369281 - 02/22/08 08:12 AM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: mushhawk]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

If you guys think it's bad now, you should have beta tested the original build of the X64 kernel.... OUCH.

I have to admit it has come a long LONG way... when I started beta testing vista 2 years ago literally NOTHING worked.

UAC can kiss my azz.

Did you know that they have now opened up the kernel code for companies such as macafee... whereas before the kernel was untouchable by anyone... so where before you would never get a rootkit... now - I'm sure there is some 12 year old hacker somewhere wildly whacking away...

#369282 - 02/22/08 08:13 AM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: mushhawk]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Loc: Rockin a dial-up connection
Quote:

yeah...vista sux..

also, it was hella-incompatible w/my hardware when i installed it. you'd think it would at least be compatible w/everything that XP was with. i had to replace a couple pieces of hardware b/c of it. it wouldn't even recognize my ethernet card! ???!!!
i also had to replace some software that it didn't work with. it wouldn't work w/powerdvd that i had or my roxio cd creator. i had to D/L new copies of both. it didn't like my video card, so it wouldn't allow me to do any of the cool visual features. so i got a new vid card.

my system is MUCH slower now that i have vista as well. there's much more of a delay on any action that i take, compared to XP. pictures open slow. programs open slow, etc...

This is very similar to my experience with it.
Thankfully,( and to quote Leawood) "Tom" the support tech in India was able to help with some of it.

#369283 - 02/22/08 08:23 AM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: 13Hawk]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

It aint the computers fault.

Hey Painter, did you shove Vista on your new box?

#369284 - 02/22/08 08:30 AM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: 13Hawk]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
5.7 Yikes!!!!
Nice box.

#369285 - 02/22/08 08:49 AM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: Geezer]
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

For someone who has never used vista, what is the scale for that? 1-10? is 5.7 considered good?

#369286 - 02/22/08 09:09 AM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: Ryan2845]
Geezer Offline
To serve & protect

Loc: JayhawkLaw office Lobby
>> Computers with a base score of 5 were the highest performing computers available when Windows Vista was released.<<

Don't know if there is a top end.

#369287 - 02/22/08 09:35 AM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: Geezer]
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Ah i see, thanks. So that computer is pretty awesome then i guess.

My work computer would probably do pretty well, my home computer not so much

#369288 - 02/22/08 09:37 AM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: 13Hawk]
brando Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: anywhere there is beer...
Quote:

Did you know that they have now opened up the kernel code for companies such as macafee... whereas before the kernel was untouchable by anyone... so where before you would never get a rootkit... now - I'm sure there is some 12 year old hacker somewhere wildly whacking away...

am I the only one that the only thing I understood in the comment was "12 year old hacker"?

#369289 - 02/22/08 09:41 AM Re: Windows Vista sux... [Re: brando]
Ryan2845 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Quote:

am I the only one that the only thing I understood in the comment was "12 year old hacker"?

Made sense to me. He basically said they have given people outside of microsoft access to the low level operating system code. Whereas before you only had access to the code running on top of the kernel. So now people can embed a virus in the deepest level of code.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview